Car died. Troubleshooting help.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cthb533

Car died. Troubleshooting help.

Post by cthb533 »

It's a 93 v6 Mx-3.

I was driving to work and the car sputtered and died. I waited a little bit and tried starting it and it fired right up and got me the rest of the way to work. After work it started up fine, but halfway home sputtered and died again. Once again waiting paid off and the car started and got me home. The next day it wouldn't start, and has not started since.

Any ideas what the problem could be/things i should check are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
wytbishop

Re: Car died. Troubleshooting help.

Post by wytbishop »

Sounds like intermittent electrical. Clean the battery posts thoroughly. Make sure the alternator wiring is securely connected. If the alt wasn't charging the light would have come on, so it's probably just a loose connection. Most likely the battery terminals. Could be a bad cell in the battery.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
redmxlookin4turbo

Post by redmxlookin4turbo »

i would check your fuel pump, filter ect.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

After it died those few times, did it not start up right after it died? You mentioned having to wait, how long? (Or did you just not try to start it right after it died)

If it's not starting now, but it turning over, I don't think it's your battery terminals, but clean them up and double check them anyway.

It should not be too relevant to this, but when is the last time you did a full tuneup? Was the idle acting erratically? The best thing to do is make sure you're getting proper air, fuel and spark. Check for spark first, as it's the easiest. Then see if your fuel is getting through (I don't know how to check the fuel pump) As for air, I had a friends probe that would act similarly and I found the problem by disconnecting his MAF. Car ran better without it, which it shouldn't. We then got some electrical cleaner and cleaned it nicely, and it ran perfect after that.

ANy other symptoms?
cthb533

Post by cthb533 »

The car wouldn't start after it died, waited about 5-10 mins and it started fine.

I can't provide any maintenance information on the car, it's my girlfriends and that was the story as she told it. The oil is mostly clean so im assuming someone has been taking care of it.

Can anyone offer any pointers on checking the fuel system/ describe fuel rail locations. It sounded like a fuel system issue to me, but I dont have a maintenance book on the car so finding the lines has been a pain. I found what i believe is a fuel line near the throttle (smells like gas, but no fuel is present in the line) Any help is appreciated. Tank location, etc.

I will check for spark when i get the chance and post back with the status.

Thanks.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If the engine suddenly dies, no warning just instantly stops, thats electrical. Either battery or distributor. If the engine starts to sputter and over the course of several seconds runs worse and worse and then dies, that's fuel.

If the engine turns over at a normal sounding rpm but will not start, that's ignition system...no spark. If it turns over very slowly and won't start, but then 10 minutes later it turns over faster and does start, that's charging system, or weak battery (after a short rest it has enough juice to turn the engine fast enough to catch). If the engine will not turn over at all, but then 10 minutes later it does and starts up like normal, that's battery connections or some other intermittent connection.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Gee sounds like the typical Distributor problem. If you can as soon as it quits check for spark. You'll need to be with someone to do this right. My guess it's a bad disty. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Tru ... .m20.l1116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Also if you decide it's the disty make sure you order with the proper model number from you disty, something like TOT57271.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I would also recommend checked for spark. If you are getting spark, and the car has no problems turning over, then the problem might not be electrical.

Was the check engine light on by any chance?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

If it was the VAF, It would catch, rev up for a split second then die.

If it's just turning over and not catching, I wouldn't blame the VAF (yet)

I would get one of those little spark testers at autozone or wherever you like to go (Oh-oh-oh-ORLY's!)
they're like 6 bucks, and you can measure at each cylinder to see if youre getting a reliable spark

You can also check your fuel pressure. Get a hose with a gauge fitting, slap one on there, and checksee if there is any pressure in the fuel system while starting.

There shouldn't be pressure (or very little) when the car is off, but it should pressurize as soon as you turn it on.

TRY PULLING CODES! It could be as simple as that to find the issue.

The fuel pump is located under the backseat, just pull it off and there will be a plate in the middle of the frame. Remove the plate, and you're looking at the top of the fuel pump.
Remove the pump and you're looking at a underground lake of fuel (the tank)

Some people have issues with the strainer on the fuel pump getting clogged.

There is also a fuel filter on the firewall right below the throttle body

It also could be your ECU.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Distributor
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

cthb533

Post by cthb533 »

Thanks for all the suggestions and sorry for the delayed response, I don't have much free time when I can check these sort of things. So first thing I checked was for a spark and there isn't one. Based on her description of how the car died, I would say it's the distributor. I guess i'll pull that off next and check it for problems. If it's not that what would be next? Timing belt/chain?
andy

Post by andy »

My vote is for the distributor. Next time it dies if you haven't fixed it yet keep the
rpms below 3k and that should help get you home.
There are fixes online instead of replacing the distributor. Its the igniter inside the disty that fails.
timing chain/belts wouldn't come and go if something was wrong with them. It would run
rough all the time.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

cthb533 where do you live?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

cthb533

Post by cthb533 »

Distributor turns so timing belt is good. I guess i'll replace the disty or mod it to accept an external coil. Can anyone tell me what wires to check to make sure the distributor is getting power before I start tearing it apart?

I live in Georgia.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”