Has the idle stall issue been resolved yet?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
maxx

Has the idle stall issue been resolved yet?

Post by maxx »

I used to visit this forum a few years ago. At the time there were a ton of people looking for a fix to what appeared to be a common idle issue with 4 Cylinder MX-3's. The symptoms were that the car would start and idle, sometimes dipping into low idle, when putting it into gear or coming to a stop the car will drop to very low RPM's and stall.

I'm looking to sell my MX-3 (have not driven it for 5 years and never had time to look further into the idle problem), but I want to see if I can address the issue before I sell it, as that was the only thing wrong with it at the time.

My symptoms are what I stated above.

I can get the car to start (might crank over for a little but it usually starts, sometimes pressing the gas peddle a little helps).

Will sustain idle fairly well. Putting it into gear (automatic) will cause the car to drop to 500 RPM's and stall most of the time. Coming to a stop will cause it to stall as well. I've *never* had the fluctuating idle (bouncing between 1,000 to 2,000).
mudflap13

Re: Has the idle stall issue been resolved yet?

Post by mudflap13 »

adjust wour air screw on your tb turn it all the way out then turn it back till you get your idle right and jump 10 and gnd as well if u do it cold in P set it about 1500 rpm or 1000 rpm in D then it should be fine when it warms up more that is if it an auto

how much u askin for it ? and do u ship? or can u im in central florida
LIFE IS A SEXUALLY TRANSMITED, TERMINAL, DESIESE. AND WE ALL SUFFER FROM IT.
maxx

Post by maxx »

I'll certainly try your suggestion. I remember messing with the air screw on the TB a long time ago, don't remember setting it all the way up to 1500 while cold in Park.

I actually have a whole spare intake plenum with throttle body and rubber air pipe (with air sensor I believe). I got that a LONG time ago from an MX-3 in a junk yard (someone I knew worked there) for free, never did try it's throttle-body or air sensor.

I haven't really set a price on the car, not sure what to even ask for it in it's current condition.

Quick overview:

Stock 1993 Mazda MX-3 w/ Automatic transmission - 100,000 miles on it

Car drove fine before the idle issue started, I had another car and didn't have the time to work on it.

Interior is in great condition, there is a small tear in the drivers side seat that the previous owner attempted to patch.

The exterior is in moderate condition, it's been sitting under a car cover for the past 5 years, the paint is starting to blister in areas. Some dings and dents in places (small dents)

Will need new tires and possibly CV joint

Depending on time, I might try to fix the idle issue prior to sale, also I might paint the car and fix the body issues (nothing major/unsellable, things you would expect with a 15 year old used car), father-in-law does auto paint/repair/restoration... etc

It's funny you're in Central Florida, I'll actually be traveling there in a few weeks to purchase a car. I wouldn't be able to pay for shipping, I don't know if the car is even worth $1,000 and shipping is close enough to that, so I would have to ask for $2,000 to ship it. If you want it for $2,000 I'll work out the shipping for you.

If you want to make an offer and handle shipping yourself, PM me and we can try and work something out.
mudflap13

Post by mudflap13 »

wow sounds like mine is same condition and all i just rolled mine over too 100800 miles take a look at it http://www.myspace.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;\johnny_stockcardriver although im not shure if im gonna sell it or not anymore now that ive doen a few things to it like this past month rebuilt the bottom end and had it balanced as well as a whole list of new parts axlex battery starter alternator tires too long to list take a look at it tell me wat ya think i do need to update some of the pics tho mainly the engine compartment ill have to do some number crunching and all as money is tight and maybe call in a favor or to
LIFE IS A SEXUALLY TRANSMITED, TERMINAL, DESIESE. AND WE ALL SUFFER FROM IT.
BradKY

Post by BradKY »

I have to agree, I have a 1992 Mazda MX-3 that I just bought, I am scared to death the tranny is shot because on mine it is idling like that but the Hold light is flashing in the dash, now im hoping its flashing meaning press it at that time? I dont know but its my first car and I am afraid I got burnt, mine also has the seat issue time to buy seat covers. I also have to take it to a Mazda dealer and have the seat belts fixed. If anyone has any information on fixing this please post!!!

Thanks

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”