Clunk now and then

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
seboroth

Clunk now and then

Post by seboroth »

Hey everyone, now I know how many people have posted things on here saying "whats this sound". Well, I think I've got a stumper for you. Everything suspension wise has been replaced, I mean everything. I also have a rear disc swap(everything new). The exhaust system moves quite a bit though, but it doesn't make the sound unless I really crank on the muffler. The sound happens sometimes when I put it in reverse and start to slowly let off the clutch to get it going, and then 'CLUNK'. The motor and trans mounts are mazda speed and the rear mount is one from mazda filled with poly. I'm going to check out how stiff new exhaust hangers are tomorrow, or decide if I should spring for the urethane ones from corksport. If you guys have any other questions that you need answered to figure it out, let me know.
95' Mazda Mx-3
1986 bmw 325e-rust in peace
1996 Subaru Outback-Sold
2002 Bmw 325XIT
69shelby

Re: Clunk now and then

Post by 69shelby »

throw-out bearing?
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

It won't be the throwout bearing... I know what that sounds like when its toast, because mine is :)

Is it when you just start moving? Right after the clutch is fully released? does it sound like its within the transmission? Maybe get a buddy to look under the hood while you back up... it might be hard but I think you're talented :)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
seboroth

Post by seboroth »

I don't think its the transmission, I can feel it in the center counsel like the pipe is hitting, It happens a lot on bumpy roads too. Also, the flange up front by the oil pan has been rubbing into the oil pan making an indention, I think its because one of the two bolts that connect the front pipe and the cat to the block is broke off, and it is a bit off center, making it lean a bit. It might be that it is getting caught in the grove that it made and is popping. I don't know, I'm just going to file down the flange and the put jb weld on the oil pan so nothing bad happens. I picked up exhaust hangers today, all 7 of them. They are significantly stiffer than what is on my car now, so maybe this will help.
95' Mazda Mx-3
1996 Subaru Outback-Sold
2002 Bmw 325XIT
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

cv shaft on its way out maybe
ImageImageImageImage
seboroth

Post by seboroth »

Just figured it out, I was putting on the new muffler bushings, and was just knocking on everything to see if something rattled, and I found that the sway bar link in the back was loose, I guess I missed one on final tightening. While I was under there I found one of the bolts to the front cat were a bit loose, and I had my friend fix the mounting bracket for the second cat. Thanks for all your guys help. By the way the axles are new too, but thanks for the idea. This is a picture of the bracket that my friend fixed for me. He welded a piece of metal under it to strengthen it I put a pipe clamp though it to make it tight. Again thanks for you help guys.

Oh the reason its red is because its the only high temp paint I had laying around.
95' Mazda Mx-3
1996 Subaru Outback-Sold
2002 Bmw 325XIT

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”