Twin Turbo ZE/DE?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: Twin Turbo ZE/DE?

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

neli_nael wrote:
MCNano117 wrote:For your time goals I'd say you need about 400-500hp and some driving skill, and for that a race built I4 B6 or BP with a huge turbo sounds like the way to go. I've never heard of a twin turbo FWD car anyway.
maybe its time for one :D
Maybe there is a reason.
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

There was also a Twin Turbo Probe there is a video of his car on youtube..... but then he rolled it all on video!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
MgXs3

Post by MgXs3 »

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread. ... twin+turbo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
92 Blaze Red MAZDA Mx3 <GS> ZE, millenia manifold. gutted interior, filled mounts, fidanza fw, act 6puck.
MCNano117

Post by MCNano117 »

Too bad he riced it out, it coulda been a contender.
1994 Mazda MX3 RS | Rebuilt B6DE | Stock
bc93mx3

Post by bc93mx3 »

WhiteFinish wrote:There is a twinturbo mx6. This one hits low 11's.

A lot of custom work and a lot of money. If you wanto to get those kinda times just go for anotther car.
audi s4 turbos bolted to flipped stock exhaust manifold. i think there will be rear clearance issues for our cars
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I have a better idea. Instead of spending rediculous amounts of money and time building a custom twin turbo setup, you should buy a ZE w/ blown internals or something for cheap, then spend 3000 on a rebuild w/ new internals (forged) get everything cleaned up nicely, maintain a fair compression ratio (somewhere from 9-10:1) so you will make lots of power...then get a nice big turbo and spend another 2-3000 and have one sick mx3.

Rebuild might cost less depending how much work you do yourself, and what you get. I think this option to be far better as you will have a much stronger platform to work from. Get some titanium retainers and stuff too, and you can be rev happy in the ZE to boot!
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

A twin setup will not get you into the 11s. My car will barely break the 11s with a great driver and way too much boost to be safely driven with the twins running non-sequential, and thats in a rotary with a higher CR than a regular turbo piston car. Your best bet is lower the compression ratio on a DE and slap a GT35R or a 42R on it and call it a day. :welder: Dont waste money on a ZE to just rebuild it for boost and slap a DE crank in it. You might as well get the DE and rebuild it, its cheaper and more boost friendly.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Why would you use a DE crank? I understand why some people want to lower the CR for boost, but I think it's silly especially when you can replace all the internals w/ better parts. If a stock ZE can take boost, a built ZE can take more. Yes a DE will be cheaper, but I would opt for the more power, better low end torque engine.

Ya, driving a car that can get into the 11's won't be very easy :-P but if boost doesnt really kick in til 3.5k rpms plus, then it's easily streetable.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

onlytrueromeo wrote:Why would you use a DE crank? I understand why some people want to lower the CR for boost, but I think it's silly especially when you can replace all the internals w/ better parts. If a stock ZE can take boost, a built ZE can take more. Yes a DE will be cheaper, but I would opt for the more power, better low end torque engine.

Ya, driving a car that can get into the 11's won't be very easy :-P but if boost doesnt really kick in til 3.5k rpms plus, then it's easily streetable.
Both motors are the same so a built DE and ZE will be the exact same if you use the same parts so why pay $1000 for a ZE when you can find a junkyard DE for $200. The only difference between the ZE and DE would be changed in a motor built for turbo. Youd change the cams, change the TB, change the pistons, etc. So in the end its the exact same motor whether you start with a DE or ZE, no difference in power or torque at all when all is said and done.

Also, I meant DE retainers not crank, my mistake. And driving a car that can get into the 11s is very easy, just not driving an MX3 that can get into the 11s hahaha.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Ah, makes sense. And yeah I know the price difference, but that's why I said to try to buy one cheap that had a blown head or internals...a ZE isn't just different cams, and pistons, it actually flows better than a DE. I wasn't thinking about changing cams but thats a good point. Either way, rebuilding one is definitely better than doing a TT setup.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Actually don't forget the ports for the IM and the heads, that the square runners on the ZE flow much better.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

and the ever so slightly larger intake valves :wink:
KLZE has 31mm Intake 30mm exhaust valves along with 33mm intake side HLA's and 30mm Exhaust side HLA's.
KLDE has 30mm Valves on both sides and 30mm HLA's on both sides.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog

Return to “Forced Induction”