Speaker Crackling

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Elric_207

Speaker Crackling

Post by Elric_207 »

Hello everyone,
Just bought a head unit and set of front door speakers, the head unit I got is a Kenwood KDC-MP635, and the speakers are Alpine SPS-17C2's. I got everything hooked up, turned on and working. However, if I turn it up past a certain level I get a horrible crackling through the speakers. So far I have ran a power line directly from the Bat. to the head unit for both the 12V constant as well as the "Ignition" connection, I also did this with a ground line straight to the negative post on the battery. All to no avail. I also attempted running wire straight from the back of the head unit to the speakers in an attempt to bypass any bad wiring in the car or a bad harness, but the crackling still persists. After I tried all this I brought the speakers inside and hooked them up to my home receiver and they sound amazing, no crackling to be heard. I also had this problem with another Kenwood receiver (KDC-MP2035). Also, I am not running an amp to these speakers, just powering from the head unit. Dirty Power? Bad Alternator? Bad HU? Anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate any input or help anyone can provide. Just a note, the MP2035 that was doing the same thing works fine in my friends truck, also, the rear channels also do the same thing and lower power speakers also have the same problem.
'95 Mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6 DOHC-To get the cops after me
'01 Buick Regal LS 3.8 V6 series 2- My inconspicuous getaway car
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Speaker Crackling

Post by umcamara »

Car audio speakers generally are only 4 ohms impedance. Your home stereo receiver requires a speaker that is 8 ohms. You will fry your amplifier if you continue to do that.

What type of signal are you playing in the car? (CD, tuner, etc.) Never use the tuner when testing a system.

If you hook up another pair of car audio speakers that is known to be good to the deck, do you get the same results? Does it do this when the car is not running? If so you can rule out the alternator.

It's possible that one of your speaker wires is grounding out. To test for this, use a testlight, with the deck turned off, probe all the speaker wires at the deck harness. If any of them show ground, it's grounding out and causing this problem. However most decks will simply turn off the internal amp when this happens. So you most likely just wouldn't get any sound.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Elric_207

Post by Elric_207 »

Thanks for the prompt reply :-) Just for kicks I took a wire brush to my battery terminals and wires and made sure they were good and tight. Problem fixed :-)

Hooked them up in series when I had them hooked up to my receiver to get a resistance of 8 Ohms, just did it for about 20 seconds just to rule out a bad set of speakers
amnguitars

Post by amnguitars »

i am also having problems with my speakers. i installed a nextar deck in my car and i attached all the wires correctly and then i connected my new speakers to the wires and installed them. When i put them on i put them on loud and it sounded great. The next day i turned on the car and put a cd in and when i put it past 35 the speakers were crackling. I unistalled my deck and rewired everything and it still does the same noise. I dont know what it can be. My car battery is kinda of dead i have to boost it to get it started because i left my car door opened all night could that be the prob? I NEED HELP BECAUSE ITS PISSING ME OFF!! LOL :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :evil:
Elric_207

Post by Elric_207 »

make sure to double check the wires going to the speakers. I also noticed a very small section of speaker wire that had the insulation rubbed off which was causing the deck to ground out. Once I cleaned up the battery terminals and cleaned up the speaker wires things were back to sounding amazing. When you get these cars set up with good equip. they sure do offer quite a decent listening experience :D

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”