Sludge - I need help!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RX8SE3P

Sludge - I need help!

Post by RX8SE3P »

From things I have read and seen, this engine I have might be f**ed. Should I return this and try another? Pics below -

1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
colinsmx3

Re: Sludge - I need help!

Post by colinsmx3 »

I would return it yea! I know I may sound bad but that came imported from Japan right? I see ALOT of SLudge cases here in Scarborough where it is like Japan here at agincourt Mazda! ahah ppl don't change there oil like they should and they drive it to the ground! :roll:
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to open the back valve cover tomorrow and do some more checks. Some people have said it's not so bad so I might cover all bases before returning it. It may have been sitting around for ages and gotten dirty? Cams seem nice from what I have seen so far. Will post more pics tomorrow.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
huntingking01

Post by huntingking01 »

ive seen this before and it really is not that bad but if you paid money for a good engine you should get what you paid for
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Mine was a bit worse when I got it. Ticked from day 1. Ran for 4 years, and drove it hard alot. Just over 100'000kms on it. It was reliable, but no as strong as I would of liked
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Well they say their engines come with 80,000kms-100,000 kms, sometimes a little bit more, sometimes a little less. Perhaps that's true and some Japanese person just couldn't be f'd changing the oil often enough, I dunno. I got an engine, gb and ECU for around 2,000 AUD. That is expensive by UJSA standards but is about right here.

Will post some results tomorrow of what I hear.
Last edited by RX8SE3P on July 23rd, 2008, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

When your talking sludge that dosen't even rate a comment IMO from some North American engines I've seen. After install run an oil flush through the engine, I did mine twice and you'll probably be good to go. Mine looked worst than that and after two flushes it runs fine with no ticking. Next time pull the covers off before accepting the engine. I doubt if they'll accept that engine back without a restocking fee. Enjoy your ZE. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Mine was almost that bad and I just ran with it. Runs fine, compression is good, has a bit of a tick. I'm not too upset though since it is a used motor. Maybe I'll try flushing it a couple times too.

Regards,
David
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

In addition to my previous post. It is considered unwise to flush a high milage engine so for any of us with 200k plus engines I would advise against flushing those.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Daninski wrote:When your talking sludge that dosen't even rate a comment IMO from some North American engines I've seen. After install run an oil flush through the engine, I did mine twice and you'll probably be good to go. Mine looked worst than that and after two flushes it runs fine with no ticking. Next time pull the covers off before accepting the engine. I doubt if they'll accept that engine back without a restocking fee. Enjoy your ZE. :)
Well, they seemed like I was inconveniencing them when I asked to take the valve cover off and they said I'd need to pay a deposit if I wanted to do that. I was told "You won't have a problem with that engine" so I dunno man, I just hope I don't.

Do you think it's better to clean some of the sludge off before doing any flushes?
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

holy dirty batman! ppl really needa look engines over before buying them... be smart... if the compant wont let u look at it thourghly then obvioysly dont buy from them... me and mx3autozam always look over the many ze's weve bought and its looks BRAND NEW no oil stains, sludge or anythin and there some of the strongest ZE around here
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Most people I am talking to just say double check stuff and install it, do a flush etc. Should be ok, it's got 3 months warranty so I'm sure they wouldn't want to give me a completely rooted engine. Came from a running car too btw.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the replies.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Sounds like you bought it from Tigerjapanese. They tryed to scam me, even broke the block taking the tranny off and never told me. Buddy (Gengus Khan) didn't want to give me my money back. Who'd you buy from?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

I live in australia so you wouldn't know the place :P
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I suggest you get a airplane ticket to Japan and do some kung fu karate kicks, punches to the original owner of that engine. Make him your biotch for about a week.

Make his wife feed you food with chop sticks, that'll teach em :x
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”