Twin Turbo ZE/DE?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
neli_nael

Twin Turbo ZE/DE?

Post by neli_nael »

has anyone tried to twin turbo a k engine? any advantages/disadvantages from a single turbo setup?
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
neli_nael

Re: Twin Turbo ZE/DE?

Post by neli_nael »

anyone?
94 mx3 rs
MCNano117

Post by MCNano117 »

I don't know much about turbos, but on such a small engine I don't see the point of sequential twin turbos. You would probably see minimal improvement, if any. Parallel turbos might be an idea, tho it'd be difficult to setup, and you would most likely need to custom build the whole engine, sort of pointless when there are other engines made for TT. Swapping to one of those would be difficult too, but a hell of alot easier than re-engineering the KL engines. Twin Turboing a B Series engine alternatively, is an idea.
1994 Mazda MX3 RS | Rebuilt B6DE | Stock
se7en

Post by se7en »

nah, single turbo is better in many ways.

First off, we don't have a lot of room under our hoods.

secondly, twins cost a lot more(initial investment)

Thirdly, the single turbo setup is widely available on ebay, and with just the hot pipes, it is very easy to make 300whp on a DE or ZE.

I hope that helps.

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

MCNano117 wrote:I don't know much about turbos, but on such a small engine I don't see the point of sequential twin turbos. You would probably see minimal improvement, if any. Parallel turbos might be an idea, tho it'd be difficult to setup, and you would most likely need to custom build the whole engine, sort of pointless when there are other engines made for TT. Swapping to one of those would be difficult too, but a hell of alot easier than re-engineering the KL engines. Twin Turboing a B Series engine alternatively, is an idea.
I think the RB26DETT is similar in size and also a 6 cylinder, although is inline unlike our v. from what i've read sequential isn't good for performance but is good for street driving, parallel is said to be better for performance.
se7en wrote:nah, single turbo is better in many ways.

First off, we don't have a lot of room under our hoods.

secondly, twins cost a lot more(initial investment)

Thirdly, the single turbo setup is widely available on ebay, and with just the hot pipes, it is very easy to make 300whp on a DE or ZE.

I hope that helps.

sorry but what other ways is a single better besides room and cost. when i think about it and from what i have research so far 2 smaller turbos would be better than one fairly large turbo like your t3/t4 (relatively). i was thinking if i was going to put a few grand into my car to boost then i could do a twin setup for a few more grand.

i wanted to see if anyone has tried it or has done it, so if i do decide to go this route if i will have help or if i will most likely be by myself. i still haven't read maximum boost yet. can't read the pdf version, i'm gonna buy a hard copy.
94 mx3 rs
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

If anyone is familiar with this car called the "supra" It comes in twin turbo... 1jz( If I can remember) and 2JZ. Everyone who wants to make "true" power out of the car, ditches the twin for a bada$$ single.
Twin is not a great idea. Double your exhaust, double your intercooler piping and get ready for a custom intercooler. Double in, single out that fits on our cars is gunna be costly. While we are at it... lets double your water, oil and vac lines to the turbos. I would honestly be surpised if you could get away with a full custom set up for under $5000. Even then, you have to get it to fit and it would take for ever to get all the fab work done. Se7en would still end up wooping you in his single set up.
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:If anyone is familiar with this car called the "supra" It comes in twin turbo... 1jz( If I can remember) and 2JZ. Everyone who wants to make "true" power out of the car, ditches the twin for a bada$$ single.
Twin is not a great idea. Double your exhaust, double your intercooler piping and get ready for a custom intercooler. Double in, single out that fits on our cars is gunna be costly. While we are at it... lets double your water, oil and vac lines to the turbos. I would honestly be surpised if you could get away with a full custom set up for under $5000. Even then, you have to get it to fit and it would take for ever to get all the fab work done. Se7en would still end up wooping you in his single set up.
yea true, i have seen a lot of supras and skylines convert to a giant single but usually they have everything in their motor built to push that big turbo.
94 mx3 rs
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Let's just say that you will not have the internals upgraded enough to see any benifit from a twin set up. I shouldn't say that, I'm not sure if there even are forged internals available for the ze/de's. Even then there is nothing wrong with a little turbo lag and great high end power. With 2 smaller turbos you will get good and fast spool up but you will lack the high end power that a "larger" single would offer. It just isn't smart or worth it to twin.

What type of hp are you even looking for? You can't think about a custom set up w/o having power goals much higher than anyone else with a ze/de. You better be looking into the 550+ area.. sounds unlikely, even then you can get that out of an SP61 or a beaut like the turbonetics gtk(and then some).

You really need to read up more. Singles are tried, trusted and true.
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:Let's just say that you will not have the internals upgraded enough to see any benifit from a twin set up. I shouldn't say that, I'm not sure if there even are forged internals available for the ze/de's. Even then there is nothing wrong with a little turbo lag and great high end power. With 2 smaller turbos you will get good and fast spool up but you will lack the high end power that a "larger" single would offer. It just isn't smart or worth it to twin.

What type of hp are you even looking for? You can't think about a custom set up w/o having power goals much higher than anyone else with a ze/de. You better be looking into the 550+ area.. sounds unlikely, even then you can get that out of an SP61 or a beaut like the turbonetics gtk(and then some).

You really need to read up more. Singles are tried, trusted and true.
well my goal is to get to mid/low 11s and maybe even 10s if my schooling works out. my car is already bad on gas so if i decide to boost then i won't be driving it daily or as much. so i would like to go pretty much all out if i do any major mods at all. it would be pointless to have a 13 sec garage queen. this would be a long term project as i am still full time student working part time. i think although there might not be many parts for ze's it is a good base to start out with. i agree with you that i do need to read up more, do more research as well. as of right now i'm just exploring different options, things that haven't been done before. i might not even boost at all.
94 mx3 rs
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

then it looks like you don't want a ze. DE's are more boost friendly. Either way, a twin turbo at low 11's still does not sound smart. Good luck spending a couple years and 10 grand.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

There is a twinturbo mx6. This one hits low 11's.

A lot of custom work and a lot of money. If you wanto to get those kinda times just go for anotther car.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
se7en

Post by se7en »

I agree it would be a lot of money to spend on a 2-4000$ car tops.

Not a very good investment.

also, a 13 sec garage queen? I drive mine everywhere. Totally reliable too.

go for the single, and be happy like me.
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

se7en wrote:I agree it would be a lot of money to spend on a 2-4000$ car tops.

Not a very good investment.

also, a 13 sec garage queen? I drive mine everywhere. Totally reliable too.

go for the single, and be happy like me.
do you still get 20-25mpg? i love driving my car but 20 mpg on premium is no joke. i expect it to be 13-16 mpg range after boost, maybe higher if boost turned down but whats the point then.
94 mx3 rs
MCNano117

Post by MCNano117 »

For your time goals I'd say you need about 400-500hp and some driving skill, and for that a race built I4 B6 or BP with a huge turbo sounds like the way to go. I've never heard of a twin turbo FWD car anyway.
1994 Mazda MX3 RS | Rebuilt B6DE | Stock
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

MCNano117 wrote:For your time goals I'd say you need about 400-500hp and some driving skill, and for that a race built I4 B6 or BP with a huge turbo sounds like the way to go. I've never heard of a twin turbo FWD car anyway.
maybe its time for one :D
94 mx3 rs

Return to “Forced Induction”