Front strut bar

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
blaudust7

Front strut bar

Post by blaudust7 »

Anyone have any recommendations on adding a front strut bar on my lowered mx3? Can you really tell a difference, or is it a waste of money?
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Front strut bar

Post by Mooneggs »

this is probably one of the cheapest best mods you can do - I also recommend a rear strut bar... it's just a few easy cuts with a dremel if you want to keep the seatbelts and panels in the back
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Mooneggs, why? Will I feel something different? Is there something noticable. I have two strut bars I need to modify but I wasn't sure if there were any real benifits. I have a ZE in the car.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Savin

Post by Savin »

I believe it will stiffen the suspension, allowing less body roll/body flex, meaning better handling.

Someone that knows for sure can clarify that.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

One of the first things I did with my stock mx-3 was the strut bars. I can't really explain the difference, but it is noticable. I imagine that the cheap Ebay ones are worth it, but I recommend better ones. i read that there isn't that much difference between CorkSport, and Ebay ones, if you don't want to spend the $$. Just tighten them down alot at the joints.
I'm having solid ones made, for max stiffness.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Leedeth

Post by Leedeth »

I have front and rear strut bars, the ones off ebay. When I installed them there isn't a real noticeable difference, but it felt more "solid".

If you get a front strut bar off ebay you might as well get a rear bar as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strut_bar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was a great page here:

http://www.e30m3performance.com/myths/S ... theory.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but it's down now, I don't know what happened to it.

Here's a google cache of the pages:

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:xf ... cd=1&gl=ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache:1_ ... cd=3&gl=ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Without a strut bar the strut mounts will have the pressure transferred through the fenders. Since the strut bar bolts directly on top of the mount it will shoulder some of the horizontal pressure instead of the inner fender.
92 MX-3 RS (B6-ME, MTX) - front/rear strut bars

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”