zx2 internals

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
slinkymx3

zx2 internals

Post by slinkymx3 »

ok what is so good about the zx2 internals? i have them in my trans. i kinda believe these gears are more for slower cars these sing on the freeway.
93 mx-3, hybrid de/ze-turbo P&P'd ZE heads,9.2:1 CR,garrett t3 57trim .60/.63,HKS SSQV bov, turbo xs 38mmW/G,24in downpipe,sts,13lbfw,sleeper FMIC,65mm TB,Walbro 255lph FP,F&R strut bars, ngk plugs/wires
p/s,a/c,cruise,vris delete..all go from here
Nd4SpdSe

Re: zx2 internals

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Could you be more specific?

The Zx-2 SR gearset is a 4.11:1 rather than the 4.38:1, so the gear are actually longer. Most people complain about how short the stock gears are when mated to a a KL. 1st gear is almost useless and people want a gear that revs lower on the highway for better milleage, but with the added power of a KL, that's not really a handicap.

As well, the benefit to that gearset is better syncros, made out of brass instead of copper, so they'll last much longer. 3rd gear syncro is known to go and go first

And one last benefit is that because it's 4.11:1, you can put in a MazdaSpeed Protege LSD.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

It depend more on the model year of the ZX-2. The MTX in the '98 had different gear ratios from all other production model years. Trannys build after 2/2002 got the same beefed up internals as the Protege, Tribute and other Mazda models still using the G series trannies.

I would also agree that having the 4.38:1 with a KL or boosted engine will be a handycap. You get to much torque multiplication and to lower on the torque curve resulting in the trannys puking up parts or wheel spin. Back in the day guys like Dave Lauzier, Sean Matthews and others were looking from trannys with final drive under 3.90 and wider ratios to matched the torque curves of a high HP engine. The B series engine and the KL make a lot more torque that Honda engine at a lower RPM which has basically kept Mazda recprocating engine cars out out of Import drag racing since the mid 90's. Guys could build a turbocharged engine making 400hp as early 1991 but the stock Mazda tranny gear ratios multiplied the torque so much at too low of a RPM that they come apart at the seams.
slinkymx3

Post by slinkymx3 »

so i need to find out what year this gearset is from....and another ? is a have a mx6 trans in my probe gt and it seems to be slower after blowing out the original one...(sad day at the strip) are the mx6 trans geared lower?....i just dont like the 3500rpms at freeway speeds....its nice when i decide to boost and just floor it im gone...but at the price of gas?? but hell im boost that goes out the window anyways
93 mx-3, hybrid de/ze-turbo P&P'd ZE heads,9.2:1 CR,garrett t3 57trim .60/.63,HKS SSQV bov, turbo xs 38mmW/G,24in downpipe,sts,13lbfw,sleeper FMIC,65mm TB,Walbro 255lph FP,F&R strut bars, ngk plugs/wires
p/s,a/c,cruise,vris delete..all go from here

Return to “Transmissions”