Whats the best way to Polish V.covers and Intake

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Daninski
Supporting Member

Whats the best way to Polish V.covers and Intake

Post by Daninski »

Just wondering if anyone has a tried and true method to polish the intake and valve covers.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Whats the best way to Polish V.covers and Intake

Post by Ryan »

I'm doing it right now, and I used an angle grinder with a 120 grit disc, and its WAY too powerful. Now I have a dremel with soft wire brushes, and it works pretty good. Not sure about the buffing and polishing stage, the cracks are so awkward..... Aluminum polish probably exists, and a buffing wheel is what I'll try.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Stablo87

Post by Stablo87 »

Steel wool?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

There was a recent post that was something I wouldn't have thought of. I can't really describe it.
The search function rocks.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ya 120 grit would take down the pebbles on the intake for sure. I was going to see about a buffing wheel mounted on a furnace motor. Anyway thanks for the input so far. I've polished fiber optic cable and you can go to 10,000 grit for that. More than we need for sure but 4, 000 grit isn't out of the question. I think mechanical is definitly the way to go. I have a friend who owns a detailing business (does my headlites for free :) ) I'll consult him too.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

If you're gonna use something as high power as an angle grinder ot get out the casting marks, whatever you do, DON'T TURN IT SIDEWAYS!! I mauled the D in my MAZDA on my SOHC vc....
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Did you try doing a search?
People seem to be afraid of it, or something :roll:
I would really like to know more about the fiber optic cable polisher. What is it?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

OK, I'm going to hook a buffing wheel up to my crank pulley and have at it, 7,000rpm of polishing power, no cuts no guts I always say. Wish me luck. KLZE buffing wheel.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

all you need to do is get it smooth and remove any corrosion final sand it with 600 grit. use a die grinder with a skinnier cloth cutting wheel and black compound this will make it nice and smooth( make sure you dont push too hard it will smudge the compound which is a b---- to get off) then with a angle grinder on low speed use a bigger wider buffing wheel(cloth) with green polish and very lightly go over your surface in even pressured strokes once again not pushing too hard, this step brings out the shine like you wouldnt believe. if you follow these steps you wont have any sanding marks etc. ill see if i can up load the sl500 lips on the rims i did when i worked at a wheel refinishing shop.
you want a lot of wheel speed with the black cutting compound and a slow even speed for the final polish
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Black cuttin compound? Green polish?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

http://www.hollywoodinc.ca/Gallery%20photos/011.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
some c5 wheels i high polished
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

yeah theres a lot of steps to do it properly the black compound is what takes any sanding lines out. its about 5-6 inches long and an inch in diameter. green is the same it just wont take out you sanding lines its the final high polish just shines it up. if you sanded with 4000 grit maybe you dont need the black compound and can just high polish it. but if you do it right it will look perfect and last which is the important thing. ill find outbrands and whatnot and where to get order them along with the polishing wheels. those vette wheels took about 14-16 hours to give you an idea of how long it takes its a really tedious process. and the whole valve cover etc. would have to be EVENLY sanded to get the best results.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ya nice to know the step by step and products that work. I have access to a lot of different things but which one work the best is always the question. I know the polishing thing has been done time and time again so I was hoping I didn't have to reinvent the wheel. Someone would have a link or what ever to a step by step process.
quote: fowljesse, Did you try doing a search? People seem to be afraid of it, or something, unquote. You know how hit or miss the search engine can be. I didn't find anything usefull that's why I posted. I'll re-search though and try again.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

theres a better explanation i found on a web site that sells kits if you looked on the site theyd probably show different compounds, wheels and their different uses. the finish depends a lot on the SANDING being even though

Eastwood offers Buff Kits which supply everything you need for polishing aluminum to its brightest. Our Buff Kits include a selection of buffs, buffing compound and an instruction booklet. We also offer a buff kit for aluminum wheel polishing. This wheel polishing kit can make old or road-worn aluminum wheels look like new. This kit provides the materials and instructions needed for polishing aluminum on 4 wheels. We also offer a buffing kit for polishing aluminum manifolds, which includes all the tools needed to buff your manifold to its finest shine. Our buffing wheels and kits offer all the tools you'll need for polishing aluminum to its brightest, at one low price.
Aluminum Polishing: Buffing Compounds

When polishing aluminum, the buffing compound you use can make a big difference. At Eastwood, we clearly tell you which buffing compounds work best on which metals. That way, you're sure the compound you purchase will work for polishing aluminum, and don't have to worry about marring your metal with a compound that is too harsh for the job. We also offer buff compound sets, giving you a variety of buffing compounds in one convenient package, at one low price. We even recommend which buffs will work best with which buffing compounds. For a one-stop source for products used in polishing aluminum, look no further than the Eastwood Company.
Eastwood Company: Aluminum Polishing Tools and More

Eastwood is dedicated to providing unique products and solutions to its customers worldwide. From polishing aluminum to restoring the body of your car, Eastwood has the tools and knowledge to help you get the job done right. If a custom restoration is in your future, Eastwood is the resource that you need.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”