lexan glass

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: lexan glass

Post by Mooneggs »

ALOT LOL

but seriously the frame weighs about 30-40 pounds if I remember correctly... and I'm thinking the whole hatch weighs around 100+...
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Yup, It's pretty damn heavy with the glass in the hatch. I have a spare hatch with the glass broken out (my original hatch) and the weight difference is huge. It has to be 60-70lbs difference atleast.
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

lexan.. i hear that they use it on Trains and Buses'. BULLETPROOF!! lol
"93 Mazda MX-3 GS. Special Edition* 1.8L
Color -Rasberry Metallic. P-START Ignition*.
EuroLITE Dash Gauge* 77,000/m
#2nd Mx-3 Owner.
Mazda. Get in. Be M o v e d .
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I just bought Makrolon today for the 3 windows. It's Bayer corp's "Lexan". It cost $183 for a 3/16" sheet for the rear, and 2 1/8" sheets for sides. The rear sheet uncut weighs 20 lbs, according to my bathroom scale. I'll trim about 1/3 off, by the time it fits. I'm stoked!!
I can make more, but shipping may be a bit for the rear. I'll weigh everything when I'm done, and post the difference. I'm hoping for 100 lbs.
Oh. I forgot the little rear window.. That's getting replaced, too.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

ooo ooo my car next!!
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
mazdanut08

Post by mazdanut08 »

This is something I am very interested in, if you can PM me and let me know how you are cutting and fitting everything that would be awsome. Also post up some pics of the windows after cutting and when they are on the car, this is an awsome project.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm going to do a "how-to", in the General MX-3 section.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mazdanut08

Post by mazdanut08 »

Awsome, I cant wait for it. This will probably be a side project though because I am building a DE/ZE for boost currently.
npspears

Post by npspears »

I was wondering how come the rear end weighed so much. Dang that is some heavy glass. Will enjoy the how-to Jesse and also the how-to on the paint :wink:

Return to “Appearance”