ive found 2 bps

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mzdamx3rsdohc

ive found 2 bps

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

i was going to turbo my current set up but have been looking into a gettin a bp as another option. theres two available from 95-99 proteges one too high of k 620$ the other has 155 compression across the board for 600 plus tax. the reason i was thinking of a bp swap is my motor was 155 compression itself has 255000 on the odometer and probably 20000 with the gauge fuse pulled (odometer doesnt count) but im burnin 1-2l of oil between oil changes. i have the 1st gen mx6 turbo,wg,bov,intercooler,injectors piping. i dont have the manifold yet. if the bp has the same compression im expecting it to be in the same condition as mine in which ill keep mine as ive driven and maintained it since 80000 kms. what would ur opinion be im pretty sure the turbo mani would cost the same for either engine. i dont want to swap in a motor that may not be in as good of condition as mine. since i can get a stock b6de with 110 000 kms for 100$ so if i blew this motor whatever. but it seems the bp has more potential? should i buy the bp or use that money and finish purchasing the mani and get installing the turbo?
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
npspears

Re: ive found 2 bps

Post by npspears »

Here is what I would do. Buy the BP and rebuild it. That way you can still drive your mx-3. If you want to go turbo I would get some buy some performance rebuild parts. That's my 2 cents. It is your car, do whatever you want.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

yeah i was thinking the same thing. but how much are better rods, pistons, bearings, fastners and rings, as i think they would be the most important to strengthen. the rest could remain o.e quality?? the only rebuild kits i can find are on ebay and i wouldnt purchase even a gasket set off of them.how much would a performance rebuilder cost to rebuild this motor? and from searching ive gotten mixed and matched answers about oil squiters in the 2nd gen bp's, do or do they not have them??
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
npspears

Post by npspears »

well, I actually ordered my rebuild kit from ebay. It was from TDR something. He actually buys and then sells stuff from Rock. So actually the kit is all Rock stuff. The machine shop guy told me it was ok and it looks alright.

As far as performance parts, you can order some performance stuff from http://www.importperformanceparts.net that is where a lot of people buy stuff. It is pretty expensive though. If you click the OEM, you have the option of upgrading selected parts.

don't know about the oil squirters bud, I know the B6DE has em.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”