Using Acetone in your Fuel- Research

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
SuperK
Supporting Member

Using Acetone in your Fuel- Research

Post by SuperK »

A couple of members on this board has sparked my interest in this topic. Increasing mileage is an ever-increasing important topic.

For those who aren't paying attention, here's the speculation: Acetone increases milage.

I understand forum members jman271 and fowljesse are currently using acetone. I also understand Tunes has also tested the effectiveness of acetone. If you have any questions, direct them to a forum member that is currently using them :P

Acetone, also known as dimethylketone and 2-propanone. . It's the simplest ketone molecule: CH 3 COCH 3.

Flashpoint temperature:
Acetone: -18 C
Gasoline: -43 C

Auto-ignition temperature:
Acetone:465°C / 869°F
Gasoline:232°C / 495°F
Added to the fuel tank in tiny amounts, acetone aids in the vaporization of the gasoline or diesel, increasing fuel efficiency, engine longevity, and performance -- as well as reducing hydrocarbon emissions.
Recommended amount to use in fuel: use in a ratio of about 5000:1 to 3000:1. Suggested is no more than 3oz per 10gal.

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory: ... l_Additive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wiki wrote: Automotive fuel additive

Some automotive enthusiasts add acetone at around 1 part in 500 to their fuel, following claims of dramatic improvement in fuel economy and engine life.[3] This practice is controversial as the body of systematic testing shows that acetone has no measurable effect or may in fact reduce engine life by adversely affecting fuel system parts.[4][5][6] Debates on this subject and the perrenial claims of a "Big Oil" cover-up intensified when the practice was addressed on the popular American TV show MythBusters in 2006, and shown to have negative effect in the televised fuel economy test.[7].
A snippet from the GM service manual:
WHAT NOT TO DO: Engine and Fuel Additives, Alternate Fuels, and "Miracle" Products

Various unproven products to improve vehicle fuel economy have been reported ranging from magnets that align molecules to chemical combustion improvers.

Most products claiming to provide benefits are based on unsubstantiated claims. Those that do present "scientific" results generally either have too little supporting data to be conclusive, have not conducted experiments in a controlled fashion, or cannot be substantiated by anyone else but the product's manufacturer.

The U.S. Federal Trade Commission summarizes results for products tested by the federal government at FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection. A review of the list shows that the majority did not work, and for those that showed some effect, the benefit was too small to be cost effective.

Harmful Ideas That May Damage Your Vehicle and Increase Emissions

Notice: Never put Kerosene or Diesel Fuel in your Gasoline Engine vehicle. This may result in inconsistent performance and permanent damage to your vehicle that is not covered by your New Vehicle Warranty.

Notice: Never use acetone, ketones, or methanol additives in your vehicle. Some of these solvents may damage or corrode your fuel system. They are also very damaging to the painted surfaces of the vehicle if spilled.

Chemicals that are normally used as solvents also should not be used. These include acetone, ketones, and methanol. These solvents can be incompatible with your vehicles rubber or sealing components, and may dissolve the vehicle’s paint finish. In the case of methanol, corrosion of metal parts in the fuel system also may occur.

GM/ASE Certified Service Consultant
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: Using Acetone in your Fuel- Research

Post by SuperK »

The idea behind acetone is it causes the fuel to vaporize quicker. If a tiny amount of acetone can achieve this, in theory, this would be an improvement. A tiny percentage also won't affect gasoline's flashpoint and autoignition temperature as a whole, either. If you were using a ratio of 50:1 or 10:1, that would greatly impact the reactive temperature. However, with using 3oz per each 1280oz of gasoline, these important temperatues won't be affected.

IF this tiny amount can aide in vaporization without changing it's octane, then it's successfully done it's job.

The current issue: Acetone might degrade any plastics and rubbers in the fuel system, causing failure.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

so what's the result of the research? is it ok to use acetone?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

It seems apparently OK to use acetone, to be honest. Think of it this way: Acetone is a solvent, so is gasoline. Acetone will degrade cheap polymers, but so will gasoline. Acetone will damage the paint of your car... so will gasoline. Gasoline is a great solvent, as is acetone.

However, the polymers used in the fuel system are designed to resist degradation against solvents such as gasoline, obviously. Since acetone is a similar solvent and you're using extremely small amounts of acetone, the polymers that exist in the fuel system - fuel tank, injectors, fuel lines - won't be affected.

Some claim to be using this method for 7 years or so without issue, some claim it's killed an injector.

However, if acetone is a leading cause of injector failure, more than just one will go.

Now whether you gain anything by using acetone - that's the largest issue.

Remember: acetone is strong. If you use a cheap plastic measuring cup to pour acetone in your gas tank, it'll melt. Seriously. That's the biggest hangup many people have against acetone.
Also keep in mind, you're using a diluted 5000:1 ratio. Use just a small amount. To be honest, I would start at 2oz. All you want (if it achieves it's intended goal) is just a tad bit to increase that surface tension, and vaporize easier. Put too much, you'll increase the octane. You don't really want that.

The "theoretical gains" are POSSIBLE. However, converting those theoretical gains into reality is something you'll have to test with your platform.

Is it worth a shot? SuperK thinks so. But don't expect miracles.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Many suggest the ACETONE PURE brand, just look up pure acetone and you'll find many places to buy it. Stick with 100%. You don't want any detergents floating around your fuel line. You'll have enough.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I've used 2 & 3/4 oz. per 10 gallons for about 4 years in my GS. It gives me about 2 MPG average. In my ZE, I put in 1 1/2, thinking I was going to puit in 5 gallons, but filled it up. It got the best MPG yet, so I'm going to try that amount again.
Did you read the study where a guy soaked 2 complete fuel systems for 6 months? One was 1:1 gas/ Acetone, the other, pure Acetone. No problems. The rubber swelled a few microns more that in pure gas, but no brittleness, or anything else.
Always use 100% pure Acetone.
In the summer, and/ or with E85 (Ethanol) gas, look into Toluene as an octane booster.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I just did a road trip using 1 3/4 oz. Acetone, and got 33 MPG in my 2.5 Liter ZE. That's 7 MPG (23%) better than a brand new 1.8 Liter!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mazdanut08

Post by mazdanut08 »

This is a very interesting topic, but I have some questions. Would it make a difference and would it be safe to run in a Turbo'd car? I dont see why not but just playing it safe. I am going to try this sometime this week when I can pick up the supplies if the turbo isnt an issue. Thanks for the great research SuperK, Ill let you know how it works out when/If I do it.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm curious about it with a turbo, too.
Definitely let us know. I'm sure it won't harm anything. With a turbo, you should look into using Toluene as an octane booster.
mazdanut08

Post by mazdanut08 »

Will do, where do I go about finding Acetone to use? And do you have any links or anything I can read up about Toluene, Such as how much to use and where to get that as well. Thanks.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I get my Acetone at Home depot. Just be sure it's 100%. I can't copy/ paste on this computer, but just google Toluene + octane. There's really good info. You can get it at paint stores, as well as Acetone, and it's cheaper in quantity. Toluene is used 30 to 45%.
mazdanut08

Post by mazdanut08 »

Hey, Ive been using 1 1/4 of an ounce of Acetone per fill up and Ive been averaging +5 MPG with my turbo setup BEFORE Millenia S Injectors without MS. Which Im still waiting on the wiring harness from rebel2k4, So I can tune and not run so damn rich. After I installed the S Injectors my milage has gone to hell. But the Acetone worked better than I thought it would to tell you the truth. +5 MPG per 1 1/4 ounce of Acetone when 1 Gallon cost me $8 is Awsome.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Cool! That's great to know.
It makes sense, because it lowers the surface tension of the gas, by causing a weaker bond between the molecules, so if you're running rich, atomizing the gas better would make a big difference.
Let us know what your MPG, and throttle response is like after the tune.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Update:
Still using Acetone.
I stopped because I was having problems, and thought it could be the cause. It turned out the cause was an IM vaccuum leak, and an exhaust leak before the rear O2 sensor. I got it all fixed, and am now seeing what my mileage is. I have done alot of mods since I stopped using Acetone, so I'll report my mpg soon. My best mpg in the ZE clone was 33mpg HWY in ideal conditions. It's rainy, and snowy now, so it won't be as good, but I'll do a couple A B tests in as similar conditions as I can.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Toluene, methylbenzene. POISON! DANGER! HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. HARMFUL IF INHALED OR ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN. VAPOR HARMFUL. FLAMMABLE LIQUID AND VAPOR. MAY AFFECT LIVER, KIDNEYS, BLOOD SYSTEM, OR CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT.
We don't use this product at all now because of the medical issues associated with toluene. I suggest if your going to use this product you exercise caution. It's not the one time exposure but the repeated little hits that add up and eventually cause moderate to extreme medical issues.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”