MX-3's float!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
zreon

MX-3's float!

Post by zreon »

So I live in Florida and we have been getting ridiculous amounts of rain lately. The roads are usually pretty flooded so there are some good sized puddles to drive through.

Well today was exceptionally bad. I was on my way home from work taking my normal route and the rain was just not letting up. I take back roads to and from work so there usually aren't that many cars. I go around this one turn and see a bunch of cars, trucks, and semi's pulled over on the side of the road. Before I knew it my car drops quite a bit into a huge puddle? :?: So I decide I am going to take a different route because this one is flooded.

Well....I was already too far in, lol. I hit my brakes and nothing happens, I give it a little gas and nothing happens. I try to turn off to the side of the road like the rest of the cars and what happens??? NOTHING! So I soon feel water coming in through my firewall and dripping on my feet and on the passenger side carpet. I then realize that my car isn't on the ground anymore BUT I am slowly floating forward.

It took me about 5 or so minutes to float across this puddle but I finally made it to the other side. I'm sure it looked pretty strange to the people who were pulled over on the side of the road.

So if a flash flood ever occurs, forget running up to the roof or getting in a boat. Just hop in your MX-3 and float away in comfort, lol.

On a side note though...my headlights have water in them now and my car has a wonderful smell to it.
Stablo87

Re: MX-3's float!

Post by Stablo87 »

That is super awesome!!! Not that I would try it, but if the occation ever happens i know i'll be safe. :D
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

That is rediculously hilarious... I am going to sillcone every hole I can see, Put paddles on my front tires, and go swimming!
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

weeeeeeeeee Im workin on my car and cleanin up the engine bay now. I hafta plug the lower holes in the firewall as well!
zreon

Post by zreon »

It was kinda scary at the time because I thought I was going to float in to all of the cars around me or someone was going to be coming the other way.

It is hilarious when I think about it now though. I must of looked so ridiculous.

It also made me realize I have to plug the hole in my firewall where my amp wires runs through.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Damn! That is funny but also awesome! The only place water was coming in was from the firewall? Not through the doors?

You left the car running? You didn't get water in the intake?

Man, I think you need to mount an electric prop under the car for next time just in case.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
jrors
Supporting Member

Post by jrors »

Interesting indeed....
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

:lol: IF the people who pulled over were watching you, they were probably like WTF :? I too would have been freaked out when it was happening, but afterwards like you said, it is funny!
I would say if you have a nice sunny / hot day, take all of your wet/soaked interior pieces (carpet etc...) out of the car, and let them bake all day. :D
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
npspears

Post by npspears »

I think the value on all of our cars just went up. Great story!!
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

This just opens up an entirely new class of modifications: MX-3 jet-skis >_>
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

when hurricane Ivan hit atlanta I had sorta the same problem, i was driving down the road, when all of a sudden, boom a big pond in the road that wasn't so posed to be there. Yea the mx3 didn't really float, lol it was more like a submarine going down, the water was probably bottom of the window high. Killed the engine all together and that mx3 went to the junkyard and got crushed.

Yea that smell is terrible, i do recommend finding another mx3 you'll never get rid of it, and now you have water damage
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
zreon

Post by zreon »

Well I vacuumed up most of the water so the carpet is just damp now, but still has a strong smell, lol.

Now for the bad part... since my headlights were filled with water the glass on the bulbs shattered so my brand new silverstars are already dead.

and on to the really bad part... :( I had a carpc mounted under my passengers seat. It was working yesterday when it happened but it is as dead as door nail now.

Luckily my amplifiers and other sound components are ok and it was a fairly cheap computer.
Stablo87

Post by Stablo87 »

how long ago did you get the bulbs, and from where?

*edit*
I
Last edited by Stablo87 on June 17th, 2008, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seboroth

Post by seboroth »

Bring on the rain!!!
95' Mazda Mx-3
1986 bmw 325e-rust in peace
1996 Subaru Outback-Sold
2002 Bmw 325XIT
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

lol... i drove under a bridge once in this old lumina i used to have.. didn't realize that underneath the bridge there was a huge dip so the water was much deeper than it looked. was floating around just like you and drifted into the concrete support column. just bounced off it and made it the other side, lol! no water leakage at all in the interior tho! i guess chevy beats mazda for amphibious mode

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”