Alternator Install

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
BumpNGlow

Alternator Install

Post by BumpNGlow »

I just bought a new alternator, and today I went to isntall it. I got it up on ramps, and got under the car. I took off the "debris shield" under the alternator, and I tried to figure out how I could get the alternator out... I don't see any way to get it out, none the less get the newer(much bigger) one in.... Can someone show me where I can get step by step instruction on how to do it? thx...
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
rekognize

Re: Alternator Install

Post by rekognize »

I have the same question... can't get it out.. I have a 1.6 DOHC, I'm replacing the alternator with the same one. brand new..

I managed to get it off but I can't get it out help :crying:
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I have a SOHC, but I can pull mine from the top. Might have to push all the wires and piping from the injectors towards the firewall.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

BumpNGlow wrote:I just bought a new alternator, and today I went to isntall it. I got it up on ramps, and got under the car. I took off the "debris shield" under the alternator, and I tried to figure out how I could get the alternator out... I don't see any way to get it out, none the less get the newer(much bigger) one in.... Can someone show me where I can get step by step instruction on how to do it? thx...
according to my chiltons manual, if you are using a 4 cylinder, its just a matter of removing the drive belt, undoing the pivot and adjuster bolts and pulling it out

however if its the v6,

1. disconect batter (obviously)
2.remove fresh air duct and rad upper bracket
3.if equipped remove condenser fan
4.disonect electrical conectors from alt.
5.loosen belt tensioner locknut and tension adjusting bolt. remove alternator upper mounting bolt.
6.raise and support vehicle
7.remove right splash sheild
8.remove drive belt from alternator pulley
9.remove a/c compressor mounting bolts and support compressor aside (if equipped of course)
10.remove the alternaotr through-bolt and the alternator

hope this helps!!
happy wrenchin'
ImageImageImageImage
rekognize

Post by rekognize »

Easy for the v6 because it's right in front, as for the B6 it's all the way at the back and there's no clearance to take it out. I got it off in a few minutes but we couldn't get it out of the car.

I don't know if there's a much better way of doing it but we've decided to remove one of the engine mounts and jack the engine from underneath just to get clearance and we pulled it out through the small gap between the passenger side strut and injectors

PITA!
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

I had the toughest time getting my alternator our. The deaership said you had to remove the exhaust. I ended up giving up and having them install it. Mine went out 30 mins from home. I was stranded in a McDonald's parking lot trying to change an alternator. Not fun in the sumemr heat :(
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

that sucks man, did you have fries with that? :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
rekognize

Post by rekognize »

yeah we found 3 ways to take the alternator out..

1. remove exhaust/cat
2. remove passenger side cv joint
3. remove top engine mount and raise engine

what were they thinking? :shrug:
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Next time spend the extra money and buy a GS. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Mine is a 1.6 DOHC and i can pull it out the top if first remove the charcoal canister.
canadian Cowboy

Post by canadian Cowboy »

the alt will come out of the bottom end it is a little tricky but thats how I got mine out
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

2008 thanks you
Sheen
antispam: No

Post by Sheen »

1. Take out your car battery and have it charging while you work. 2. Loosen up your power steering container. The hoses can stay connected. Just loosen the bolt. 3. Undo all of the electrical clips that are on the fan so that you can remove the entire fan. There are two bolts on the top and one bolt on the bottom. I reached down with a 10mm socket and took it off (If you have trouble try putting the socket on the bolt and then the wrench into the socket for an easier fit. The fan should lift completely out. The hardest electrical clip will be on your lower left. That one is actually just clipped to the fan so unlike the others, you're taking it off the fan and not separating the wire plugs. Raise your fan out. 4. Take out the green plug off the alternator. 5. On the right side of the alternator is wire going in that is covered by a rubber plug. Pull off the rubber plug and use your 10mm socket to remove that bolt. 6. Loosen the pulley for the alternator. The bolt you're looking to loosen is NOT the large bolt of the pulley attached to the alternator but rather the next one back (back as in towards the back of the car). Just loosen the bolt (14mm I believe) in order to take the belt off the pulley of the alternator. 7. My next advice is to loosen the clamp that you'll see on top of the alternator (your green plug wire runs through this. Loosening this up will make taking the alternator out a breeze and is a cinch to loosen up. 8. Take out your two primary bolts holding the alternator in. 12mm socket should do this for you. 9. You should be able to pull the alternator out with ease especially if you followed step 7.
When checking the price of your replacement alternator be sure to know what the cost of your alternator will actually be. You'll see the price plus the core cost. By this they usually mean $145.99 Core $50. This means you'll pay $195.99 if you don't bring your old alternator (IE your Core) in first. If you do, you'd pay $145.99 plus sales tax.
Tools: Have a set of wrenches, sockets (14, 12, and 10mm), and a pointer magnet is highly recommended.
The whole process is rather easy if you know what you are doing. I didn't but now I do. I've tried to include the basic information I didn't know. Good luck! You can do it.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”