How to deal with Search impaired?

Off-Topic Discussions

Poll ended at July 8th, 2008, 1:59 am

Tell newbies to search in case of questions already answered
31%
Tell newbies to go to some other site if they dont like the current features
No votes
Tell newbies to contribute $50 a month to hire a web programmer to write a new search engine (if they complain about search)
No votes
Ask mods to warn newbies who ask these kind of questions
No votes
Ask mods to make newbies go through educational video before posting questions
8%
All of the above
31%
Ignore those kind of questions
31%

Total votes: 13

shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

My recent experience here -
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=65289" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Fixed the title
Last edited by shameem on June 9th, 2008, 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bluechro

Re: Search impaired

Post by bluechro »

I would just like to point out that the search is NOT working the way it should be. I believe Jeff has disabled at least part of it from the server end. Jeff - if you ever read this, could we get an explanation of why it is this way?
Worklog! - updated Jun/26
bubsy83

Post by bubsy83 »

I am sure I will get flamed for this, but I am getting too old for some of the condesension about this search and newb issues...Seriously, it doesn't really seem like a lot to ask for help...It's like when we were in grade school and asked how to spell a word and got told look it up in the dictionary, when it seemed like a huge mountain to climb if you can't spell the word. This is relatively the same thing, some members don't know squat about cars, myself included and terminology plays a big part in the search function. so if one doesn't know what the part is even called, or whatever, it's useless to use the search feature. I have used the search feature many times especially this past week with my work I did on my MX-3, and it's a shame to alienate newb's just because they don't know about things and post a question that has been asked already. It's redundant in a way.

I always found these car forums and communities a great way to share information with one another, and it's appreciated on my end what I have learned from the search function without asking too many questions and being made to feel stupid...I have seen it on here, and in a sense I am somewhat frightened to ask about things, so instead if I am really stuck, I just call my mechanic and he'll tell me the score without that BS.

Seriously, this is a great informative site, and I enjoy a lot of what I read on here, but at the same time, it isn't newbie friendly at all and maybe it's because of past experiences with stupidity and previous members abusing the site and so on...I don't know, I haven't been here all that long.

I know personally that answering the same question over and over gets annoying but you'll catch more flies with honey and being nice about it will help promote a happier newb population, for one and also improve this site immensely....when I first joined I was really put off by the "use the search..this question has been asked before", and it would appear many times by different members on the same thread so when searching these are the posts a newb reads, is use the search again and again. It's like going around in circles.

I'm not trying to be out of line here, and I hope I'm not the only one that finds this the way things are here, but seriously, why is it such a big deal to just answer a newbs question when asked??

This is my only concern about my membership with this forum for this vehicle...again I appreciate what I have learned about this car in the short time I have been here, and there are some very informed members that come here frequently. I would understand if a member consistently just doesn't get what is being explained to them and consistently asks silly questions that would warrant a search..and maybe I am missing the point about this and that is what this post is about...I don't know....I like it here, I like what I have learned here, but I think this newb and search issue is about the only flaw this forum has....on other boards, people ask the same questions a lot and they get the answers without the 'ridicule'. Sometimes we forget that we were once a newb as well and we all started somewhere...

Peace!!
Savin

Post by Savin »

I opt for all of the above, that does include ignore the stupid questions too. :D
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Leedeth

Post by Leedeth »

^ Yeah I agree that if it just comes to ignoring a question, then it will tell you if the poster really wants an answer to the question. Otherwise it'll just fall into the depths of the forums.
92 MX-3 RS (B6-ME, MTX) - front/rear strut bars
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

i gotta agree with bubsy83. probably cause i've been there done that.

also the search CAN be helpful but not all the time.
a lot of searches will leave out words for example if a "newb" looks up "BP engine swap" i think it only searches for "engine". and comes up with an insane amount of results.
also some searches just bring up all the old topics that "newbs" may have posted asking about something and others just telling him he needs to search.
and i do believe it posts the results in order from the latest posts. and most people want the most recent answers.
if someone's just going to tell you to search search search, the least they could do is tell them the proper terms to search for to have results in the first or second search page, or maybe post a link, or something helpful.
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Some of these noobs come on here and they don't even bother to google search or do any type of search at all about info. They want you to answer the simple questions which can be answered easily if they read the FAQs or go onto the main site and read, or yes the always wonderful "use the search tool". We are a community here to help each other, but when people don't want to help themselves whats the point? Some of these guys don't want to self educate they just want you to tell them every mod they need and how exactly they should do there car, I'm sorry I got into the mx-3 scene because I loved how the car looked and that I knew it was going to be more original/custom than driving a honda around. If you go to a honda forum they answer all the questions for you because well, everyone has the exact same car, with the exact same parts, wheres the originality in that, wheres the fun? I've said it once I'll say it again, R&D (research and development) is the greatest thing you can do when building your car, and if your doing a (excuse the way i put this) Half a-- job at doing your own research then why should someone come in and do it for you.

As for not being technically inclined or understanding the terminology, well yet again this is a failure in the 1st part of R&D, you don't know what your talking about so you can't find the answers. Nothing you cant fix yourself Wikipedia is out there and has plenty of answers to questions.

All in all my belief on the matter is well, the noobs on this site now are lazy and don't want to take the time to do there own project, they want a list or someone to tell them everything vs research it, and in this case it's better for me to say use the Search function and annoy them than it is to help them. Yea I know MoonEggs You won't agree with that lol
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
MX-3.com
Site Administrator
antispam: No

Post by MX-3.com »

I don't really understand the qeustion for the poll? "Search impaired?" is not really a question, at least I don't see how the answers relate to the question....

In any case, Idon' have time to read through it right now, but I will read the above posts in detail and reply later this evening when I have more time to think about it.

To my knowledge I have not disabled any features onthe forums thouh with regards to searching.

Will post back later,

Jeff
ImageJeff Aycan - Site & Forum Owner/Administrator
2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Sedan (Brilliant Black)
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T (Light Silver Metallic)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (Lime Green/Ebony)
SOLD - 1995 MX-3 Precidia RS (Blaze Red)
SOLD - 2000 Honda Civic Si (Vogue Silver Metallic)
SOLD - 2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD (Redondo Red Pearl)

Please Help Support MX-3.com - (Contact me for MX-3.com Decal Purchases)
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: How to deal with Search impaired?

Post by SuperK »

the search function IS a bit tricky to figure out in order to make full use of it.
I've used the search function just recently with amazing results!

I do believe it's changed a bit with the phpbb3 upgrade... but especially using the + and * command, it makes it EASY to search

As for your experience, shameem, I understand where you're coming from. However, when you're fighting with teens, you have to "lay it like it is" and leave it alone.

In an event where the newbie in question feels vindictive enough to insult you because you told him the information is readily available if he "searches"

then just say, "fine, you're not a person I'm willing to help" and leave it at that. It's his loss if he's burned his bridges with a forum member, especially a helpful forum member such as yourself.

I know this is hard, especially for myself, since I'm one who is VERY capable of "finishing a flame war" but it's becoming more and more the best option.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

I have to agree with Shameem on this scenario. We have lots of leeches on this site, people who its easier to ask a question and wait for someone to answer rather to take 10-20 mins and research. In his situation the 4 o2 sensor question, when i did mine it took maybe 5 mins how to wire it up.

It goes back to my original statement, we are getting a lot of people who are lazy and would rather have someone tell them how to do something rather than do it themselves. This seems to be a trend I'm seeing more and more often and not just on this forum. When I graduated I had people in my class that could barely use the software they were playing on the past 4 years because they only knew what they were shown, they never tried to figure it out for themselves.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

When I first got on this site there were no answers laying around for everyone so I dont feel bad for these new guys not getting every answer handed to them. When I got the MX-3 people were just getting 2.5L swaps done and KLZE swaps were almost non existant so not many people had answers when you asked anyways, but you know what?? We actually got off our asses and started doing work first hand to find the answers ourselves. The search function seems alot easier than that so people shouldnt complain.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
MX-3.com
Site Administrator
antispam: No

Post by MX-3.com »

Below is a screenshot of the options available for the Search function on this site. since the screenshot was taken, I have tweaked a couple of the options, but that's all the phpBB3 has to offer.

Hope that helps, I haven;t had a chance to look at the Google API for phpBB3 yet, but I'll add it to my list.

Jeff
ImageJeff Aycan - Site & Forum Owner/Administrator
2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Sedan (Brilliant Black)
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T (Light Silver Metallic)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (Lime Green/Ebony)
SOLD - 1995 MX-3 Precidia RS (Blaze Red)
SOLD - 2000 Honda Civic Si (Vogue Silver Metallic)
SOLD - 2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD (Redondo Red Pearl)

Please Help Support MX-3.com - (Contact me for MX-3.com Decal Purchases)

Return to “Off-Topic”