SuperK's Bad Bondo Days

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
SuperK
Supporting Member

SuperK's Bad Bondo Days

Post by SuperK »

OBVIOUSLY, yes very obviously, someone did one seriously serious bad body work on this poor car. Maybe a few of you remember me posting these over a year ago:

The damage extends on the quarter panel, from the taillight, halfway up the pillar, almost all the way to the bottom of the quarter panel, and through the door.

I purchased this car with it NOT looking like this. Sneaky sunovagun took some crack hiding material that looks like it comes in a little chapstick container, and hid the cracking spots very well. I was one day playing with a visible crack and plop! a whole piece fell off! As you can see in the picture. and there was pretty rust on the bottom

See how it's "blooming" on the car door?
A year later, the WHOLE quarter panel started blooming with cracks, and could be chipped off with the fingers, all the way down to the headlight. Under some was bare metal, others was rust, and again, others was primer.

The body work was also crooked. Seams weren't matching, ect, ect.

The metal wasn't roughed before bondo was applied.
on some parts, the bondo was placed over the primer
the bondo was THICK and the quarter panel was looking a WHOLE lot worse than it does in those pictures.
The hardener was mixed incorrectly and wouldn't stick
The paint was also laid on thick, and was some supercheap enamel based paint.

So I finally had it taken to a body shop. they ground it down to the metal, eliminated the rust, reapplied bondo smoothly and primered the door and the panels.

I had a talk with the body shop as to what was wrong, and he quickly gave me insight on to what was the issue, and what they would do to correct it.
This gave me peace of mind, since he was taking the right steps to fix the issue, and not just doing another "mock job" of fixing the problem.
I really do hope, however, it wasn't just cheap talk and they did another halfarse job at this. It looks like a good job, at least.
The price was 75 for the car door and 175 for the quarter panel. I considered this VERY reasonable as there were so many problems they had to "correct" in order for them to fix it, and I am glad it's done.

I now have a "Paint Installment Plan" as some De-Ricer's would put it.

Back in my high schooling days, in all my superior common-sense-ness, I REALLY wanted an MX-6. I found numerous that had horrible clearcoat peeling, but I figured a quick 400 dollar paint job would be all it needed to look nice.

I am here to tell you, the crowd that already knows better, what you already know:

Don't EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER skimp on bodywork/paint! You get what you pay for, even if it does bite it's next owner in the butt.
I'm having a distaste for equadorians right now... Equadorians! DEFEND YOUR COUNTRY! and tell me you're not all like this! haha!
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Stablo87

Re: SuperK's Bad Bondo Days

Post by Stablo87 »

SuperK wrote:

If only they made dippers for cars you could have avoided that accident!!!!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

dippers? I don't get it. Diapers? I'm not very good at this word game. I would push the "Give up" button but it's right next to the "self destruct" button. They both look the same and both aren't labeled.

And if it IS diapers... then I am not cleaning up my mess - I'm cleaning up someone else's mess. Makes it worse. I could have at least enjoyed the moment of ******************************************************* on myself if that was the case.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I do bodywork/paint. It also looks like they applied bondo right over rust (possibly) thats why it's peeling and metal is rusty under it. Or maybe there's holes under bondo where they tried to pull dent out. Its looking better now though.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Savin

Post by Savin »

My car had/has this problem too, but the bondo is thicker on mine. Since my car is pretty much shot, I just ground down the infected spots then applied bondo accordingly. You took the smart path though, having a pro do it. It looks like the bodyworkers did an excellent job though! Its a hell of a lot better.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
xxwhiteboyjim22xx

Post by xxwhiteboyjim22xx »

wooow i always wanted to see what a bad bondo job looked like! Its very graphic!! Makes me wonder if i should even attempt mine....
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

Man thats cheap! I've been quoted t 150-450 to just PAINT my sunroof panel. No repair or need to cover anything!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS

Return to “Appearance”