5th gear replacement (F-series)

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
nerd racing
Supporting Member

5th gear replacement (F-series)

Post by nerd racing »

I finally got around to changing my 5th gear set, it was pretty bad!

I put the car up on ramps and blocked the back wheels

Grab a 10mm socket and ratchet and take off the Plastic shroud

You should now see the 5th gear metal cover.

Grab the 10mm again (preferably deep well so that you can clear the cover with the ratchet head), also get the drain pan ready, you will lose two quarts of fluid (give or take depending on the angle that your car is on).

You can see how bad the gears were stripped in mine, luckily the sheared teeth stayed in the 5th gear section because of lack of fluid.

Next grab a hammer and something to unstake the gear retaining nuts, if you don't unstake them you will have a really hard time getting them off without turning the transmission internals. Then grab an inch and a quarter socket and a breaker bar and take the nuts off. Then grab a punch and the hammer and drive out the pinstock from the selector fork. Now you can slide off the gears, synchros, and selector fork. I inspected the splines and threads, and checked for excessive bearing wear. All checked out fine.

These are the gears I pulled from a Capri (non turbo). They are in pretty good shape, no pitting or tooth wear.

Here is the order in which the pieces of the assembly go:

The brass synchro ring goes on the end of the synchro that has the oil passages shown here:

On the F-series the washer goes on the other end.

Grab a torque wrench and the inch and a quarter socket and torque the nuts down to spec and stake the nuts so that they don't come loose

The factory seal for the 5th gear cover was just silicone gasket maker. I just used 100% silicone and made sure I used a good continuous bead. Don't go too overboard because this stuff WILL gum up your gears in a hurry if it gets into the transmission. I cleaned the surfaces with a window scraper (kind with replaceable blades), and finished it off with a rag and some brake cleaner.

Grab the bolts and your 10mm socket and replace the bolts, I tightened them in a circular pattern and I tightened them just a quarter turn past tight. The specs on them are in inch pounds so be careful not to strip them. I let the car sit for an hour before putting in transmission fluid, in order to let the sealant cure. Do not take the car off of the ramps without putting in at least a quart and a half of new fluid.

I had to throw this one in, I like the stock air box feeder, it makes a nice cup holder!

This took me about 3 hours, this included the time it took for the sealant to cure. Good luck!
npspears

Re: 5th gear replacement (F-series)

Post by npspears »

Can we get this put in the fact, please?
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

not to be off topic but that could be a nice add for NOS drink!
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

npspears wrote:Can we get this put in the fact, please?
Lol, it's FAQ not fact. FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
npspears

Post by npspears »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
npspears wrote:Can we get this put in the fact, please?
Lol, it's FAQ not fact. FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions
oh, woops, well at least you knew what I meant. I think it should be stickied at least.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=65457" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Added to the 4cl FAQ.
nerd racing
Supporting Member

Post by nerd racing »

couldn't you have quoted it or something in the FAQ? I don't want to sound like an a$$ but it looks like it was your work according to the FAQ.
Stablo87

Post by Stablo87 »

I call shenanigans!!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

No credit for you!
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
nerd racing
Supporting Member

Post by nerd racing »

lol thanks for adding my name to it, I hate to be a pain, but I'd like people to know I have something to contribute to the community even though my post count is not that high.
tom_finn

Post by tom_finn »

ok, what is the year, and all of the specs that i need to know, to get this fifth gear, and when i go to get it, not get the wrong one
tom
nerd racing
Supporting Member

Post by nerd racing »

this gear came out of a mercury capri, I grabbed the gears, synchros, shift fork, and nuts. I wish I had found a little wider ratio gear, but its better than nothing, hopefully soon it won't have the stock trans in it anymore.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Did you use all the parts you just listed?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
tom_finn

Post by tom_finn »

ive heard that you can pull a fifth gear mainshaft and countershaft gear etc. off of a 626 and get a a better gear ratio. so you can have a later higher rpm redline, and better mileage, and a higher rpm cruise speed. if so do you know what gear this is and all of its specs?
tom
nerd racing
Supporting Member

Post by nerd racing »

I did use all of those parts, I needed them, also the sleeve bearings as well. I used all of the parts you see laid out on my rear plastics in the pictures above.

The 626 gears will work for a V6 car, or a G-series transmission, I am not sure with an F-series transmission.

Return to “Transmissions”