K8 87 or 91 Octane?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fighttillyoudie0

K8 87 or 91 Octane?

Post by fighttillyoudie0 »

I put 87 in my car, but I was wondering if anyone has put 91 and if it makes the K8 run a bit better or not? The reason i'm asking is 'cause my car runs really weak(you know..) and was wondering if I could benefit some power/better MPG with the 91.

Anyone? :shrug:
solo_ryder

Re: K8 87 or 91 Octane?

Post by solo_ryder »

It might make it run smoother and get abit better mileage, but for the price it is not worth it. I didnt notice any difference running it when I had a k8
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

k8 is optimized to run on 87. You will get slightly better mpg but you will also pay more.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

not worth it at all... you might see a very very very! minimal gain that you probally wont even notice. Id run a tank of 91 every month or so just to clean things up in the fuel department.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

K8 will run good , ocatne is all depending on your elevation. over here 85 ocntane, the k8 runs nice. My eclipse runs nice.

your engines wont blow because you use regular fuel. its what they were designed to run on.. fuel.

Now add ethanol.. then you would have problems.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
superfly

Post by superfly »

I personally wouldn't run 91. I have been having problems with my car not wanting to rev until after about 3,000 rpm and so I figured it might be spark related and that a higher octane might fix it. The car runs like crap now, I can't wait till I burn that fuel and for some reason I am hearing a bit of lifter noise which I never heard before. I want to get some octane reducer actually if they make any.

Ethanol is no good either. In Oregon it is the law to have 10% ethanol, my parents car (2001 intrepid) would quit when running on ethanol and I have also heard that it clogs up fuel filters and binds with water though I don't know how true that is. So no Husky/Mohawk.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Smith18 wrote:not worth it at all... you might see a very very very! minimal gain that you probally wont even notice. Id run a tank of 91 every month or so just to clean things up in the fuel department.
I only run about a tank a month :shock:
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
se7en

Post by se7en »

my k8 detonates like hell on 87 :)
so I run 91.

but I have boost FTW :P
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Ryan wrote:
Smith18 wrote:not worth it at all... you might see a very very very! minimal gain that you probally wont even notice. Id run a tank of 91 every month or so just to clean things up in the fuel department.
I only run about a tank a month :shock:
one tank of fuel a month or one tank of 91 octane like i said a month?
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Lol most places here in Australia have 91 as their minimum octane, some have 95 as their minimum too!

I run my K8 on 98 octane and have no problems. Just put some 95 in it recently and no difference either. I heard the higher the octane the cleaner it is or something.

I personally don't trust the 91 or 95 sometimes. There's been incidents where the fuel store will add s--- into the mix like water to get more money. (95% of people use low octane here). So I figure it'd be better to use the high octane, which has less chance of s--- additives being used.
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Like one tank of any gas per month. I only consume about 37 litres a month.
Of this.
http://www.rrcoop.com/product_pdfs/2007 ... LENDED.pdf

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
superfly

Post by superfly »

Ryan, Where do you buy that stuff? how far do you travel in a month and do you have the V6?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Co-Op. canadian, and I have the SOHC, and after noticing it says 'K8' in the title, I think I'd like to duck out of this topic. not far. 500km ish?

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

the higher the octane the hotter and cleaner it burns, also puts a bigger dent in the wallet,,i baught my 94 GS and put about half tank of 91, and about 3/4's a bottle of Lucas fuel treatment, and i gota tell ya, i noticed a difference from the second the car fired up, alot more responsive throttle, and wasnt as hesitant or sputtering at all..from my past experience with cars, ive noticed any engine i had that was DOHC ran much better on a higher octane fuel,,sure there is drawbacks mainly PRICE, but if u like to drive, its totally worth it,,but thats just my opinion :shrug:
ImageImageImageImage
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

bleh.. the k8 is just the k8. No need for 91 octane on that. I ran mine for over 30k miles on regular octane and till the day i swapped it out. Engine ran good.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”