94drumx3/drummer200sx - 1994 mx-3 RS

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
94drumx3

94drumx3/drummer200sx - 1994 mx-3 RS

Post by 94drumx3 »

I bought my car early this year...January 2008. Cost me $1.2k.
I knew test driving it that I would have some problems with it...the clutch was going out, drove kinda rough, its an older car its bound to have problems. But looking at it and driving it I just had that feeling inside that this was gonna be my baby.
I then found this site and of course was the biggest NOOB on here. I was absolutely clueless that the 1.8 GS was a v6, so i thought with all this talk of "straight drop in" for engine swaps i could go from a 1.6 to a klze with no problems! HAHA! riiiiiiight! But over time I've gradually been learning more and more about the mx3.

First thing I did with my car paint the interior. Idk why but i'm kind of addicted to painting interiors to my cars. I'm not good at it or anything either. haha.
Next came a body kit. Blitz front bumper (actually looks decent), drift side skirts, drift rear bumper (which is really ugly and i dont like it), and z3 fenders.
The front bumper was a pain in the keister to put on cause it just wouldn't fit so i had to do some cutting/trimming/mostly breaking. Its on now but its really "rough around the edges" so to speak. I will eventually trim it down really nice tho. Its not that its hard to do its just finding the spare time to do it.
The side skirts went on pretty easy. Had one problem and that was that upper inner back peice next to the door but i've looked around and a lot of people have had to screw it in so i did the same. but it looks really tacky with the butt end of a screw sticking out. then again, my whole car looks tacky cause its in about 6 different colors.
the rear bumper was no problem until i looked afterwards and the middle sagged about 2 inches. i got quite a few laughs from neighbors. Next were the fenders and the only thing that gave me a problem was the driver's side where the door opens at. i had to shave down the inside bits on the fender cause it kept stopping the door from opening. Pain in the butt! caught my finger in the door twice from that, cause i'd go to open it and it would spring back shut before getting halfway open.

after the body kit i got some clear altezzas and installed them...but forgot to change out the blinker bulbs. which caused me to get pulled over for having white blinker lights. i told him i thought they were unique and i didn't know they had to be orange/red and i totally forgot to change them. he didn't like my story. TICKET!

then the clutch went out and i knew nothing of working on cars so i took it to the shop and it cost me 375 bucks to replace.
then i had a buddy do an oil change for me and what i found out later was that he drained the tranny fluid and filled the engine with more oil!
so then my car got a blown head gasket and i was walking to school (12 miles one way) and work (5 miles one way).
Money just wasn't coming in. So i got a new job and everything started to look up.
Recently i just bought a BP engine and did the swap. I'm so glad i did too!
I'll post more on all this later. Gotta have room for pictures!
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
94drumx3

Re: 94drumx3/drummer200sx - 1994 mx-3 RS

Post by 94drumx3 »

Here's some pictures of the engine swap...i didn't get many pictures of the engine in cause my camera phone screen is broken and its white with a huge black blotch in the middle and i'm aiming blindly.

Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
npspears

Post by npspears »

Wow man, what a story and what a "buddy" you got there. But I like to see you haven't given up on the car. Just do one thing at a time and keep at it.
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

yeah i should blame myself cause he was like "is THIS the bolt i take out to drain it?" and i wasn't looking when i said yes haha.
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

ok so here's my total cost of everything for the swap.

readers beware...i use very technical terms such as "thingy" and "stuff"

Engine - $300
Front Pipe - $125
CV Axle Thingy - $50
Battery - $60
Chilton Book - $30
Buds for the buds (aka beer) - $25
Other misc parts - Clutch pilot tool, gasket goop stuff, other gaskets, oil, tranny/gear fluid, filters, one nut and bolt, battery cable connector things, 3 fuses, and alternator belt - $65 (most of which was the expensive purple tranny/gear fluid!!)

total cost, if my math is correct - $655

Other stuff like the spark plugs and wires, wiring harness, tranny, clutch, flywheel, etc. were taken from the original 1.6L that was in there.
npspears

Post by npspears »

yeah, just to get my B6d rebuilt were talking about $650. And that is just to get the engine machined and the engine kit. So still got buy all the other stuff like, timing belt, HLA's, water pump, oil pump, plugs, fluids, etc.

Good job man. Do you know how many miles were on the engine?
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

dang seeing all these rebuild prices i feel so lucky!! haha.
yessir it had 75k miles on it. which i didn't think was too bad. idk tho...is that high? low?

you gonna swap eventually or no?
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

so lately i've been waiting for my welder to come fix up my exhuast. i'm dying to drive this!!
hopefully this weekend or next i will try that self paint job that was recently talked about. rustoleum or something like that.
i'm also planning on creating my own aftermarket headlights using the civic projectors and everything.
I've also removed the 94 mazda logo from my hood and took the "MX-3" from the back and put it in place on the front one. believe it or not, it actually looks really good.
also i'm fixing up my interior black light that i have hooked up in there. i originally had to small tubes but now that i know where the wiring goes and everything plus one tube broke, i'm going to get two bigger tubes and redo it all. and yes i'm talkin BLACKLIGHT not neons inside.
I ordered my cold air intake which is supposed to be here today but i'm not sure yet...ah! its all coming together and getting exciting!
npspears

Post by npspears »

94drumx3 wrote:dang seeing all these rebuild prices i feel so lucky!! haha.
yessir it had 75k miles on it. which i didn't think was too bad. idk tho...is that high? low?

you gonna swap eventually or no?
75K miles is a very good price for what you paid. I'd say 75K is between low and high miles. I would like to do a swap to a v6, but right now I just need to focus on getting the thing running and getting all the other crap looking nice. My car needs a lot of work. I'll put up a worklog once I start rebuilding it (rebuild kit is in the mail). I just got to save up some money and wait for the new engine to die (which should be like 10 years :shock: ) Eventually I want to do a swap.
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

good luck with the rebuild man. hopefully it all goes smoothly!
be sure to have lots of pics...i'll be sure to check in on it all
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

Ok so not much to update...just had a few problems with my car.
It was running poorly and i took a wild guess it was because i didn't switch out the ECU or wiring harness or fuel rail.
So...I've gotten in the new fuel rail thanks to a member from clubprotege, got my new ecu from ebay, and my harness is also coming via clubprotege.
I did get the car stripped and primered...i'm just working on uploading pictures. the primer job is all just spray canned stuff so it looks crappy, but its the main finish that matters right? :D
i'll update again when i can...
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

If the primer job wasnt done right, the actual paint wont look good either...just a thought.
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

oh yeah...and i forgot...i wound up keepin my Ford valve cover...ah! dont ask me why...i'll get it changed eventually, but i did get it painted

k got some pics uploaded too...

DO NOT DIS WHITEWALLS!! :freak:
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

onlytrueromeo wrote:If the primer job wasnt done right, the actual paint wont look good either...just a thought.

ah, good point, one to note. thanks
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Heh w/ primer its hard to tell if you've got any bumps and whatnot...did you do any bodywork beforehand? If youre taking it to a paintshop, have them go over everything and check for bumps and whatnot so you have a really nice finish.

(If you do a really light coat w/ a different color primer and block sand it you will see if things are even)

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”