Legal Engine Swaps in Europe

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Norwegian81

Legal Engine Swaps in Europe

Post by Norwegian81 »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone from Erurope (or anywere) has any legal documentation on how much HP this car can have.
My car is a 97 1.8V6 but I realy want a 2.0 or 2.5 (since i have to change it annyway) if I can find any legal papers from mazda that says this car can
can take the extra HP.

Anyone have some legal papers or have gotten their car approwed with a bigger engine?

Norwegin81
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Legal Engine Swaps in Europe

Post by Ryan »

I suppose the couple hundred people on this and other websites who have bigger engines without a problem isn't enough?
I'm not sure if anyone in Canada or the USA can help you... As far as I know, Canada doesn't have laws against what you can do to a car, just at some point it becomes a 'track only' car.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Well the sad thing is that in Norway (and i gues some other countrys), the car has to be approved with how much HP it can handle.
This is why I need some sort of document preferably by mazda, wich i'm told they dont give out, thet states that the car and it's parts has been approved for a specefic HP output.

An example is; are the brakes, dampners, springs, chassi, weels and other things approved for say 160 - 200 HP.

A friend of mine changed his springs on a BMW, the springs had TÜV papers on every variaty of that model exept his. They where even approved for way bigger engines then his. When he was showing his car at the DMV (?) to get it road lagal another 2 years they checked the papers for 30 min and finaly decided that he had to remove these and replace them for original ones. So this is what i'm batteling against.

Now I could do the swap and no one would probobly know that it's a bigger engine in there. What I am concerned about is getting hit by another car or chrasing myself. If they found out the worst case scenario is that my incurance is void and I'm in debth the rest of my life. Thats why i want it legal. A statment from me that hundreds of ppl have done this before would cary no weight without papers to prove that this swap is safe.

Hope I sound just a little bit coherant :confused2:

Norwegian81
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Altho I rely vant this question answered, it is no rush since I just bought 1 1/2 new MX-3(s).

I bought them for the engine, one with and one without. I'll try to fix them so i get 2 working perfectly and scrap what i'll have left of the last one.
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Here is an update for those who want it.

I went down to the DMV (Biltilsynet) to ask what it took to do a legal swap to the KLDE or other.

From what i understod this would be neer inposible, he said that I would need to get some papers from Mazda or Germany (?) the stated how much weight the engine bay would take (If it weied more) and how much Torqe the car would take. Apperently the HP was the least of my worries as I uderstod him. If the car was ever delivered in any country with a biger engine, all I would need was the list if what the difrences between the models were.

However there were a second possobilaty. I could do the swap and upgrade the brakes etc. then ship it to Germany to get tested and approved, then ship it back and get that approved here in Norway. He dobted that the car was worth that, and i agrea since this would cost alot of money and with no garanti that it would go throug.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

In the Netherlands we can have 40% over stock power.

Altough a couple dozen klze/klde's drive in my country NOBODY has went to the DMV to get it rechecked.

Even when I was pulled over for a big traffic control and 2 DMV guys were inspecting my engine they still couldn't see it was another engine.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”