Car not starting up?? 1.6 manual

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
gmbyjeff

Car not starting up?? 1.6 manual

Post by gmbyjeff »

So the car SOMETIMES starts up... When it doesnt start, I let it sit and then either clean the plugs I had in it(which are relatively new because I bought them a week ago!) or put NEW plugs in and it seems to fix that issue.... I put the gap at .044(what schucks told me and what your other forum said it was for these cars). But then it does it again... the starter is fine, alternator, and distributor(NEW distributor) are also fine... new wires/plugs/cap/rotor... whats wrong with my car?? :cry:

Anywho... if you have any answers or questions on my problem, reply please!!

I figure SOMEONE has had this issue before, but I didnt find anything, so sorry if its a re-posted issue!! Just looking for some help~~!

Thanks!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Car not starting up?? 1.6 manual

Post by Ryan »

It would really help if you told people if you had a DOHC or SOHC, the year, and other details, like if it turns over or if there is nothing like a dead battery, or if it ticks, or struggles and just doesn't fire....

According my my logic, an occassional problem is usually caused by a bad connection.
Last edited by Ryan on May 19th, 2008, 12:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Ryan wrote:It would really help if you told people if you had a DOHC or SOHC, the year, and other details, like it it turns over or if there is nothing like a dead battery, or if it ticks, or struggles and just doesn't fire....

there u go ur getting it..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
gmbyjeff

Post by gmbyjeff »

Oh, I'm sorry... kinda forgot about that!
1992 1.6 SOHC manual transmission
NEW battery
no ticking...

when I try and start it, it turns over. Occasionally it sputters once or so but doesnt start. I did bump start it yesterday and that seemed to work and continued to run afterwards. Also, I just installed all 4 new platinum champion spark plugs (they were on sale) so I have good plugs. I did put a bottle of Seafoam in it to clean the injectors(worked great with all of my other vehicles like my street bikes and my truck and van) and when it does start, it blows out an inital large blackish cloud of smoke, but it dissapears after a couple of seconds.

Anything else you need to know to help?
Thanks! Jeff
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

sounds flooded :? or bad plugs, but since you just changed them.... are the connectors on the wires corroded? no... new distributor and wires.... thats about all I can think of... electircal, fuel, or air. Thats an engine. But if it runs good after it starts, that rules out all but electrical.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

are the platinum plugs the 4 prong ones? if so get rid of them and install the stock plugs that were designed with the car
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
gmbyjeff

Post by gmbyjeff »

Noooooo... those things are terrible. Just the single pronged Champion ones. Those work pretty good usually, but they work as good as the cheap Autolite ones at the moment...
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ooo ok good ya sure sounds flooded, leaking injectors maybe?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

What color are the spark plugs? Try cranking it when it doesn't start, pull the plugs and see if there are any wet plugs. See if you can smell gas.

It COULD be a "major coincidence" and be that you're NOT getting the fuel you need, or maybe a vacuum leak. I've had issues with a pump relay before that was annoying.
check all your vacuum hoses as well. Don't rule out any possible symptom.
Start with the simple, easy, free methods. Use your sight, smell, and touch to find anything on the surface that might be causing the issues.

Does anyone know if anything related to the temperature/coolant system can cause issues with starting? I swear I've heard something about that before.

*edit* I forgot: taste. That's right, lick that engine!
thentakepicturessowecanalllookandbelikeWTFdidyouLICKyourENGINE???Andlaughatyou.becauseyouleftadropofoilonyourchinandwalkedaroundalldaylikethat. and it was funny.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Check connections to the ignition module and coil - maybe change the module....
gmbyjeff

Post by gmbyjeff »

Figured out the problem. The distributor I purchased was shot. Changed it out, worked and starts fine!! NEW PROBLEM THOUGH....

Car has been running great these last couple of days... BUT yesterday, I went to back up into a spot and it died!! Tried to make sure all plugs and wires were good, distributor is good im sure, checked for spark AND NO SPARK!! I tested the battery, it was good, 12v and 10v when you crank it. So thats good.... its from the Ignition coil back, because I replaced the coil thinking it was bad because I wasnt getting spark and that didnt help.

So the problem is between the battery and the coil, ANY IDEAS????
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

the problem is the primary side of your ignition (ignition switch, ignition module, battery) check your wiring maybe. check and see if you have your 12v at battery side of the coil. and work your way back. maybe a bad fuse since it went out so suddenly. good luck
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

As I said in your other thread, you're checking for spark completely wrong. You can't remove a spark plug, and plug in a wire and crank, and expect it to spark. The plug wires don't have a ground, they ground through the block. All you do is remove a wire, hold it close to a ground point, crank, and watch for a spark.

You don't know that you have no spark.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Unplug the distributor connector for a while and replug it. And replace your ignition module.
dighayzose

Post by dighayzose »

I had a very similar problem. Intermittantly my mx3 would decide it needed a day off. If I started it first thing in the morning it was fine all day' if I waited until the afternoon it was about a 50% chance it wouldn't start. My starter tested fine but the ignition coil was bad. I replaced the coil and haven't had a problem since.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”