911!!!!! My 1st post and its REALLY important! HELP! 411

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
spiderpig17

911!!!!! My 1st post and its REALLY important! HELP! 411

Post by spiderpig17 »

:crying: What is the black canister looking thing on the passenger side on a K8 5 speed? It has the marking BP01 on it at the top, at first I was freaking out thinking it was my fuel filter cause on my 95 RS MX3 it was in that general area but after searching here I found out where the fuel filter is, under the battery and transmisson area. So before I have to go drive this thing the way it is what is it, because the rubber line running to it and the lines running from it are not connected anymore :crying: . Sorry if I didnt give enough info Im very new to the GS model. Premature thank yous to anyone who helps me out.
{FS}93 GS K8 5speed 217,000+ miles, gutted rear seats, factory alloys, BF Goodrich Traction TA, Z01 paint code WR SW Intake
ElectricEnergy

Re: 911!!!!! My 1st post and its REALLY important! HELP! 411

Post by ElectricEnergy »

It sounds to me like your looking at your charcoal canister. I don't think it will hurt anything to drive with it disconnected, but you might smell fuel every now and then. As far as I know it prevents gas fumes from the fuel tank escaping.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
spiderpig17

Post by spiderpig17 »

I thought it might be that, I remember the one on my 92 SOHC Protege looking a little like that. I really havent smelled any gas though and maybe Im just lucky but percentage wise how sure are you? Im not doubting you, just a little worried still that it could be dangerous. Thank you for the help, I really am intrested in learning everything I can bout these cars since they friggin RULE!
{FS}93 GS K8 5speed 217,000+ miles, gutted rear seats, factory alloys, BF Goodrich Traction TA, Z01 paint code WR SW Intake
se7en

Post by se7en »

lol, ya, that is the charcoal canister. I just removed mine with no consequences.

cheers

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
spiderpig17

Post by spiderpig17 »

Wow, what a relief, LOL. But again u guys rock! How hard is it to remove se7en? I didnt really mess with it since I thought it was needed, but why would u remove it? Just to save some weight? Also I noticed a line running from the EGR going to the air intake was not connected, so I reconnected it and was wondering if that was a bad idea? Any other Ghetto AKA cheap mods I can do? I was starting to remove all sound deadning from the engine area since I read on here that this motor, K8 dosent run well once it gets kinda warm. Also removed the jack, and all parts of rear seats. I tryed to remove the spare but it seems to be rusted down in there like for eternity,lol but I guess I could get it sawed off or maybe torched off and then remove the bolt holding the spare down? Sorry for typing so much, Im just really happy to be zoom zooming around in a V6 MX3 now.
se7en

Post by se7en »

well, I removed the canister in an attempt to clean up the engine bay...about the egr stuff...I don't know, as I don't have egr anymore...

I am running the megasquirt standalone fuel and spark setup, so I don't need most of the wires, and hoses that transverse our engine bays :)

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
My Feedback
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

se7en wrote:lol, ya, that is the charcoal canister. I just removed mine with no consequences.

cheers

If you are in Ontario, pray that they do not decide to bring your car in for a "random inspection" if you ever get pulled over >_>
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

There's a vacuum line going to the canister. If you just disconnect the hoses without plugging that line, you will have a vacuum leak.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
se7en

Post by se7en »

no s--- :P

lol Just buggin you umcamera lol

but ya, don't worry, I plugged that vacuum port :)
My Feedback
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

hmm maybe thats why when i slow down to a light i start to smell a weird fuel/burnt/oil smell, or is that just my rings haha burning oil?
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

What benifit is there to disconnecting this. It's in place to protect our environment, you've heard of green house gasses. I'm not some nut for this stuff but if there's no benifit to disconnecting it then why not leave it be? Just a thought.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

doesnt the canister collect gas vapours and recylce them back into the intake? that would mean removing it would allow vapours to freely seep in the engine bay no? sounds a lil riskAy..on another note, can somebody tell me more about this megasquirt stand alone system?? ? :?:
ImageImageImageImage
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

tmac4t4 wrote:can somebody tell me more about this megasquirt stand alone system?? ? :?:
Its all covered in the Engine Electronics/Tuning section and you can also check out probetalk.com and search for it on there, they are more in dept with the system over there.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

thanks smith
ImageImageImageImage
spiderpig17

Post by spiderpig17 »

yeah I removed mine and it had no negative effects. But it wasnt connected to begin with, so I cant say do it or dont I just know it wont make the car run better or worse but if you need the engine space I say go ahead and chuck it! Again thanks for the quick reply and info it was a little scary for me at the start,lol.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”