Intro/Need Help w/ 94 MX3

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
MCNano117

Intro/Need Help w/ 94 MX3

Post by MCNano117 »

Well this is my first post, I've been reading the forums for awhile but I'm about to replace the piston rings in my 94' DOHC 1.6l MX3 RS, so I'm asking for any help or advice anyone has to offer. I ordered the piston rings and a full set of gaskets last week off of eBay, they should arrive soon. I'm going to work on it with my father in his garage, so we should have most of the tools needed, any specialty tools that we might need? Any info you need just ask, and thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated :D.

I have a Hayne's manual for most of the technical info, but a quick walkthrough and some tips would be great since it's my first time working on an engine 8). I do have access to a junkyard about a half an hour away, I saw about 4 MX3's last time I went, and I caught a MX3 rolling in on my way out but I didn't get a chance to talk to the owner :(.

Also I do want to increase it's performance (turbo?/klze?) in the future, so keep that in mind if it matters for this :D. If any one knows of good sites to get MX3 performance parts from that would be AW-SUM, most likely I'm doing the intake/exhaust next.

She runs great, nothing wrong with it besides 100k+ miles and she burns oil and smokes :(.

Would this have been a better idea?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :middle:us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've seen some really nice MX3's on here, hope to get mine up to par soon :D. Lookin forward to representing for the Mazda MX3 club soon 8).

Some pics:
1994 Mazda MX3 RS | Rebuilt B6DE | Stock
Savin

Re: Intro/Need Help w/ 94 MX3

Post by Savin »

Lets see....Hmmm...specialty tools... A piston ring compressor, but thats a given. A pulley puller, you never know... Hammer, extention bar, And the most important of them all some peroxide for when you gash your hands, lol.

These are all specialty tools to me, lol.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

That's a beautiful lookin car to start out with! Mine looked like poop when I got it, now it looks even worse! (except the interior). I hope to be doing a major overhaul this summer, and am currently tryin to buy another MX to work on. Good luck, you have a nice base to work from!

What is you budget for the summer? If you have about $1000 (it shouldn't really cost you that much) you could drop a BP in there! If you do plan on turboing in the future, that would be your best bet, otherwise fixin the car up to run isn't a bad thing, as long as the cost of fixing your current engine doesnt encroach on the price of putting in a newer (less mileage) bigger engine.
MCNano117

Post by MCNano117 »

onlytrueromeo wrote:That's a beautiful lookin car to start out with! Mine looked like poop when I got it, now it looks even worse! (except the interior). I hope to be doing a major overhaul this summer, and am currently tryin to buy another MX to work on. Good luck, you have a nice base to work from!

What is you budget for the summer? If you have about $1000 (it shouldn't really cost you that much) you could drop a BP in there! If you do plan on turboing in the future, that would be your best bet, otherwise fixin the car up to run isn't a bad thing, as long as the cost of fixing your current engine doesnt encroach on the price of putting in a newer (less mileage) bigger engine.
Thanks man, I'm trying to pick up another MX too, hopefully a GS :), saw one in the paper for $800 :wink:.

I definitely have a swap in mind, but I never thought to do a BP swap, isn't a KLZE the way to go? I got the car really cheap (40 bucks lol, I bought if for what I had in my pocket 8) ), so I have money to put into it. So far I've only spent $100 on rings/gaskets, so once it's running good maybe I'll sell it for some cash to put into a GS MX3 :).

Lol Savin I'll make sure to pick up some peroxide, I know I'm going to cut something :crying:.

I also want to paint the valve cover and the block if I decide to pull the engine out, any tips/ideas?

More pics:
Polished my headlights with some plastic cleaner :), but the paint :(:
Sorry for the blurriness, I have shaky hands. And the shitty radio came with it, not mine lol:
Last edited by MCNano117 on May 19th, 2008, 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

since you have a 4cyl, its easiest to swap in another 4cyl. If you had a GS, it'd be easier to swap in a ZE
Savin

Post by Savin »

I'll trade you cars lol. The clear coat on my hood isn't peeling :wink: And on my car, stuff is actually worth replacing :D Its also got MoonWax out back and on the passenger side too! Its a bargin, lmao.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
MCNano117

Post by MCNano117 »

Any more help lol?

Going to the junkyard now, hopefully I find a BP.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”