What Tires Fit the Stock 15" Rim?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
mazdags94

What Tires Fit the Stock 15" Rim?

Post by mazdags94 »

I need to buy a set of tires in order to finally get my mazda on the road and I plan to put on a new set of rims (17's) in about a year or so, so I am trying to find some cheaper tires for now. However, I came across a set of 215 60-15's (BF Goodrich) tires and I wasn't sure if they would fit my OEM rims. The tires on there now are 205 55-15 and they are expensive! I checked tire rack and they offer a decent $70 tire but after shipping and mounting cost, it brings it up to what I would pay for a $90 tire installed here. I found a set on craigslist, as I mentioned earlier, that are 30 a tire (slightly used) but are the 215 60-15. They are a bit wider, which is okay with me (I personally think that 225 may be too wide) but the aspect ratio is 60, which is higher than the 55 and creates an overall difference of 16.25mm from that of the 205 55-15's.

My question is:
Will these fit without problems on my car?
If they do, will it enhance handling?
What other sizes would fit other than the OEM 205 55-15?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
mdavis

Re: What Tires Fit the Stock 15" Rim?

Post by mdavis »

I'm sure they'll fit, but they probably won't be as safe the the OE size because the bead won't seat as well with 215 width. Your speedo will be off, the car will be higher off the road, gears taller. It will probably handle considerably less precisely than the OE size because of the decreased sidewall rigidity from wider tiers and taller sidewall.

IMO, OE 205 on a 6" wide wheel is about it for a wide tire that retains rigidity. A lot of autocrossers go with 205-50-15 because the sidewall is stiffer.

Hope this helps.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
mazdags94

Re: What Tires Fit the Stock 15" Rim?

Post by mazdags94 »

awesome, thanks for letting me know! So a 205 50 15 would work as well?
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”