KLDE swap clutch question.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MgXs3

KLDE swap clutch question.

Post by MgXs3 »

ok so im about to buy a wrecked probe gt with a rebuild motor and automatic trans. Im going to sell the trans and part out the probe and then swap the motor over to my mx3. My question is when i swap the trans over what flywheel would i use? i hear people using the mx3 gs flywheel on klde/klze because of the weight. does the mx3 flywheel fit with a aftermarket probe gt clutch or do you have to use a different flywheel. Im guessing it will but i wanna make sure befor anything gets purchased.

Thanks

Travis
92 Blaze Red MAZDA Mx3 <GS> ZE, millenia manifold. gutted interior, filled mounts, fidanza fw, act 6puck.
solo_ryder

Re: KLDE swap clutch question.

Post by solo_ryder »

mx3 flywheel will work fine, same as a PGT one but weighs less. Get that buckled to a probe clutch and your good
MgXs3

Post by MgXs3 »

k thanks solo. that what i was looking for.
92 Blaze Red MAZDA Mx3 <GS> ZE, millenia manifold. gutted interior, filled mounts, fidanza fw, act 6puck.
MgXs3

Post by MgXs3 »

k now i have another question. does anyone have a good recomendation on some good clutches that will take a good 5-9 psi without slipping? im leaning towards a SPEC stage 3 or 3+, SOuth bend, and Clutchmasters stage 3. i searched on here and probetalk but only really found out that i definetly shouldnt get a ebay clutch which is not one of my options. lol

Thanks

Travis
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Hey Travis,

It looks like you are on track with the clutches you should be considering. They are all good clutches from what I have heard over the years. I dont know many mx3 guys running spec clutches (I think atlantamx3 runs one) but I know they are good in other vehicles. The clutchmasters are used alot and are good, as are the southbend ones, so either option is great. As for holding power, yea you want at least a stage 2-3 if you are boosting IMO

Good luck
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

I bought a spec stage III, as I have strong urges to boost...haven't got it yet though! No complaints on probetalk on spec, so I just went for it, don't seem to be made out as harsh on trannys as ACT.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Dont go for excedy organic when boosting btw or ebay clutches.. all of those begin to slip at 5 psi of boost :( lol

i made that mistake and I have to pay for it now.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

marcdh wrote:I bought a spec stage III, as I have strong urges to boost...haven't got it yet though! No complaints on probetalk on spec, so I just went for it, don't seem to be made out as harsh on trannys as ACT.
Hows the pedal feel on that clutch? heavy or light? How does it engage? I know spec clutches are very good and I am considering one for my next clutch
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

marcdh wrote:haven't got it yet though!
Will let you know when I get it, and get it in :) It's probably in UK customs getting its value doubled :roll: I'm predicting a significantly heavier feel compared to clutchmasters or of course OEM, but still daily drivable...I hope!
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
View Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Funny, I use to street race back in the days of North American Muscle cars (340 Dart Swinger)and I use to bring my Borg and Beck racing clutch in to a Brake and Clutch shop. They installed stronger springs, magnafluxed the pressure plate and did the disk over for a fraction of the cost of new. Has anyone looked at getting their stock clutch rebuilt?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

My locals charge about $5/600 to rebuild as you just said... needless to say I bought a new one :lol:
View Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”