KL-ZE swap questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kyter

KL-ZE swap questions

Post by kyter »

I know that you have answered this question probably many times but I have just recently installed a kl-ze into my 1993 MX-3 gs. I had problems with clearance with the ZE intake manifold because it had a straight neck and not curved. I sourced the IM off of my 1.8l and I am having trouble getting it to work well. Will this intake work well or should i get a different one?

I am also using the ECU and VAF from my MX-3 is this a problem?
solo_ryder

Re: KL-ZE swap questions

Post by solo_ryder »

The straight neck will work but you have to do some mods to get it done right.

You can run the k8 IM and ECU/VAF combo but it wont run right at all, it will eat gas like a mofo too. Your best option is to source a curved neck IM (eBay, here, probetalk etc) and run that on your car with either a kl31/kl36 or chipped k8 ecu.
kyter

Post by kyter »

Can i use any 2.5l curved intake off a DE or does it have to be J-spec
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

You can, but it will be about as usefull as the k8 IM.

Its better not be be cheap and look for alternatives. Save some cash and get a curved neck IM/ecu and then your problem is solved.
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

your best option and probably cheapest is to source out a 95+ Mazda Millenia 2.5L curved neck Intake Manifold along with the throttle body.

If you can solder or not scared to try new things:

Then take your stock ECU apart and take a picture of the inside, then send the picture to probegtze@hotmail.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; he will give you a cost of a chip. Take this chip and install it into your ECU and you'll be set. The cost of one of these chips is about $45...

Or the "I'm Scared to try new things and have way to much money" way:
Another option is spend around $200 on a KL31 or KL36 ECU off of ebay and just install it and be done with it, but whats the fun in that?
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”