Why did you buy the MX-3?

Off-Topic Discussions
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Re: Why did you buy the MX-3?

Post by V8KOMX3 »

I t-boned an old lady who ran a stop sign in my 93 buick lesabre back in 03'. My 1980 RX-7 was being driven by my ol lady, I got $5800 from my accident so me n my boss went looking at cars one day and he told me how he found a car that he was gonna buy for his ol lady but she wanted something else. It happened to be at a dealership that my boss and I did alot of stereo work for. I looked at it thinking man this car is sweet looking and real clean kinda looks like a bubble tho. then I had the guy go get the keys and I took it for a drive. I was on the old highway givin her the drive of a life to see if she could handle it and I passed a cop at 110 mph he never even came after me, so I knew I had to have the car. I pull into the dealership and hand the keys back, the guy goes to lock it and breaks the key off in the door LMFAO. I tell them if you can get the key out I will give you 3k for it. Guy goes inside talks it over with his boss boss says he can't go any lower than $3200 I figured well its got bout 100k on the engine and body runs good looks great why not take it. they get the key out and make a new one I told them I got to go to the bank n get the cash money they said ok take the MX-3 to the bank, I say ok cool. I hit up the bank takes a couple hours but I got $3200 in cash in 1 dollar bills :) We always did like to play jokes with these guys I came back to the dealership with a sack full of money and they were like WTF is in the sack I said your money and gave em the massive stack of $1's We all had a good laugh then I drove my new car home.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

my first car was a 90 eagle talon tsi. it was a friends of mine and he had ript the engine apart and got lazy to put it bk together. bought it from him for 200 and spent bout 2 g's into it. took it to the garage to get saftied and they told me it'd cost another 2 g's.. well i needed a car at the time. as stupid as i was i sold the talon to the auto wrecker cause no one wanted it. so i went car searchin. found an mx-3 and honestly i hated the colour at the time but i knew the guy who had it and knew he took care of it. since then ive grown to like the colour and ive had it now for bout 5 years. been an awesome car till recently. in bout a week or so im swappin the blown motor and hopefully have another good 5 years with my baby hehe.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

When I first started wanting a car was when I was probably 15 or 16, my woodworking teacher in my highschool had a st195 celica turbo AWD. I wanted that car soooo fricken bad, I knew they were super rare and a fast car. I would always look at alltrac.net and check stuff out. I took a ride in a 90 talon TSI at one point when I was about 16 and I was hooked on boost, I wanted a talon soooooo fricken bad, I would obsess over them and check out everything there was to know about this unreliable tank of a car.

I was however never able to find one that wasnt beat up or failing and when I did have some money it was never enough for one. Me and my dad would go test drive them sometimes and I would go home not being able to sleep cause I wanted one haha. Little did I know that my younger brother would get a Laser RS turbo for his first car and a MINT talon tsi AWD for his 2nd car...

At this point I was about 18 and I have a 93 626 mazda v6 that I sold as it was a POS. I was on the hunt for a new car, me and my old man would go around to car lots and auto auctions to look at cars in hopes of finding a good deal. Every lot I would go to I would see neglected mx3's sitting in the back of the lot. I saw them so much that I started to like them, they all had this look of being able to be fixed up and look nice as so many ppl didnt care for them, I liked the curves and lines and I thought the interior was great! There is a certain smell that a mx3 has as well (if you have never noticed there is a smell that is unique to mx3 interiors, same with VW's) and I liked that too. The only thing I hated was the rear bench back rest and how it had no center area.

There was a point in time when I had 3000 bucks from working all summer and selling my old car. I was ON THE HUNT. I would search EVERYWHERE for a mx3 for sale in my price range. I ended up finding my first black mx3 in the paper, it was in Burnaby and I went to check it out. The guy seemed like a nice dude and the car had some bad paint on it (thought at the time that paint jobs were not a big deal, boy was I wrong). Anyways, I got the car for 2700 I think and I remeber driving it home in the rain, it was awesome I was soooo stoked that I had my own mx3 and that it was a car that looked decent and was original. There was something about the speedo area that always excited me to, I dont know why...

Anyways, that car ended up being a POS cause I drove the crap out of it and it was just a bagged mx lol. So, the car got written off in 2006 and I was on the hunt for a new car. I loved mx3's but I had so many issues with my previous car that this time I wanted a honda civic hatch or a 240sx, I had about 5-6k I think. I COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING, I looked for weeks and I could not find anything that was worthy of my money, hondas are overpriced for what you get! 240s are bagged and hard to find. It was a worthless cause.

At this point I really needed a car, so guess what, I started looking for Mx3's again because I am retarded. In a matter of days I found and drove about 6 different mx3's and I was suprised at how well a stock mx3 compared to other cars that were much more money. I ALMOST bought a silver 94 mx3 with 110,000 KM'S! But he would not budge on his price so I ended up getting a black 93 for 4k I think with 148,000km's. I was hooked yet again! To bad the shitty 1.8L burns oil... I ended up swapping a KL in and the rest is history.

Now, I am on the hunt for a 94 shell, silver or white. This is because my current car is beat up yet again from my overly fast driving habits etc. Time for a new shell because paint and body work is rediculous and I refuse to do that because of the rediculous costs involved. Back in the mx3 game again it seems...

Thats my story.
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

In summer of 2006 my friend was looking for another Mazda, for his girlfriend. He found black MX-3 which was crashed on front a little bit, so he asked me to go to see the car. We met there with former owner and I've checked the car, it required repair of the front end. My friend decided not to buy the car.

After two weeks, seller called me if I was able to repair his car because he needed to sell it, he needed money. So I said "ok, drive it to my garage and we will see". So one day in October that black MX appeared in my garage. :) After two days he called me if I repaired anything. I said "no", because I needed to get some parts, which were and still are very hard to get. So I told him he could drive the car home if he wanted. He said "I need money". So at that moment, I don't know why, I told him "ok, I will buy the car" ... :)

I dropped the price to 50% of what he wanted, so that's how I got my first and only MX-3 V6. :) And since then I only have problems with the car. :D Anyway, I like it, I like the engine, shape etc. But I am sure this is my last MX-3. I don't want another one. I am planning to keep it.
MX-3 V6 1993 | Black | EU-spec | K819
K8Boosted

Post by K8Boosted »

I was 12 years old and i watched the fast and the furious way too many times. I subscribed to all the tuner meg's.. My father used to be a motor head in his day with (Triumph spitfires and Gremlins wtf :| ) well anyways in our family's 100 by 100 foot workshop i noticed there where engines all over shoved in corners chassis hanging from the ceiling so i guess I asked my dad if we could start working on cars.. (I think he was waiting for this day his whole life) so he decided too bring down all his spitfire parts and teeach me mainly bodywork.. And also how engines work etc after a year.. i was begging him for my own car.. or price range was a grand consider when i was 12 i prolly had 300 bucks to my name tops. I wanted a two door five speed that looked cool... We were driving up to our cabin in the upper penisula when i spotted the mx-3.. We stoped and look at it i loved it but my mom thought it would have too much power for my first car (LMAO a stock k8) It was mechanically solid but the body was rusted out bad from siiting in the woods.. I purchased it a month later for 1100 dollars

We worked on the car slowly it fineshed its first stage in 2006 when i was 16.. I put a total on 5,000 miles on it in 7 years of owning it

almost everything i know about car is from working on the Mx-3 i just turned 18 and realized how special of a car it actually is
I really never plan on selling it
Another Plus is that i got m now 53 year old father into imports.. He Drives a 99vr4 with 600AWHP :D
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2433610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mx-3 Kl Turbo (Weekend/show car)
95 talon tsi awd (Daily Driver For Sale 6,000 or Trade for a Mx
1989 Cbr600 (StreetFighter/Stunt Bike)
1967 Winnebago Motor Home (Pimped out Party Bus a friend and I went in halfs on)
1972 gremlin X Turbo Diesel :) , 1999 VR4 Fathers Cars that i end up working on and drving alot
mx-3_4evr

Post by mx-3_4evr »

My mom used to have a 93 mx-3 base auto when I was 13. I loved how the car looked! It was true love! I would wash it for her, change the oil, drive it around when she wasn't home! lol I always told her that it would be my 1st car! Anyways, one day my step-dad crashed it after the passenger rear tire blew at 60mph (everyone walked away just fine) So at the age of 15 I had my first car. It was a 96 eclipse rs. Bought it for $500 with a bad engine. It had tons of aftermarket parts! Well I bought an engine and sold it for $3400 because I wanted a turbo one instead :mrgreen: So then i came across a TT stealth. It was my official 1st car (I bought it the next day I got my license) I had fun with that car until my wallet gave out! lol Sold it to my friend and crashed it :crying: So I came to the conclusion that I needed a cheap reliable car. The first thing that came into my mind was an MX-3! So I went on the web to look for a GS and guess what? No GSs for sale! I was pissed! :x After 2 months of searching a 94 RS came up on craigslist for sale. So I went to look at it and it was the nastiest car you can imagine. The car smoked when started, slipping clutch, no front speakers, rear 1/4 panel damage, missed match tires, etc... Luckily, the car had very little rust. The guy was asking $900. I did my old trick and showed him $600 cash and he took it! Since then I have been the happiest guy on earth! Parts are cheap, great gas milage, and it looks great! I have owned it for 1 year and 4 months. I don't think I will ever sell this car.

I read some of the stories and they are great! I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes this rare car! :D
The General

Post by The General »

I had a 1996 VR6 Passat, car kept having problems. Everytime I got it running something bad would happen. Sold it to a buddy, lost profit. Found Mx-3's were cheap and I had always liked them, so I went and found one for $700. Thought it was a good deal, car has crapped out since. But I still love the thing to death
bubsy83

Post by bubsy83 »

I wanted something differnet and found one for a good price and was a winter beater. It could be salvaged to be something more, but for now it's a fun little driver. I never owned a japanese car before, I was always a domestic vehicle buyer, but I love this little car, and the fun factor is huge, and it helps that it's good on gas these days!!

Return to “Off-Topic”