need some head unit help..

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Moe_maX

need some head unit help..

Post by Moe_maX »

i am running a Kenwood DDX-7019, the other day i lost sound. :crying: I am unsure what happened. When I turn on the deck it plays choppy for a split second then nothing. I have checked all connections and varified that they are working. scroling through the options on the deck if i change the bass management system (B.M.S) AMP bass from flat to +6, +12 etc or when I switch the B.M.S AMP Freq from Normal to Low i get choppy sound for a few seconds then nothing... :shrug:

Any help on this situation would be greatly appreciated...
Cheers
Steve
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: need some head unit help..

Post by umcamara »

Does the deck power shut off while this is happening, or does the internal amp just shut off?

If it's the latter, one of your speaker wires is likely grounding out. To troubleshoot this, remove the head unit, and unplug the harness from the back. Use a test light and probe for ground at all the speaker leads on the harness, none of them should show ground. (Purples, greens, whites, and greys are your speaker wires on most any aftermarket deck)

If one of the speaker wires shows ground, either the speaker wire itself is shorting out to the chasis somewhere along it's path to the speaker (in which case you can just run a new wire), or the speaker terminal or some electrical component of the speaker is shorting to ground at it's mounting location. This sometimes happens whent the screws mounting the speakers cut into the speaker wire insulation.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Moe_maX

Re: need some head unit help..

Post by Moe_maX »

power stays on... it is just the sound that stops.... I have never thought of the speaker wire being shorted... thank you for your post... I will be trouble shooting the wires tomorrow...
Cheers

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”