The Unspoken Rules: Spoken (incomplete list)

Off-Topic Discussions

What should I do?

Keep at it in hopes that noobs will follow the suggested guidelines
60%
Stop while I'm at it
No votes
Leave it to those with more credibility (senior members etc.)
No votes
Both 2 and 3
20%
Shouldn't have bothered with this in the first place
No votes
quit now and stop being a burdan and leave forums
20%

Total votes: 5

Savin

Re: The Unspoken Rules: Spoken (incomplete list)

Post by Savin »

Poll added....
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: The Unspoken Rules: Spoken

Post by umcamara »

wytbishop wrote:I think only the moderators should be allowed to tell people off. If you think the question is a dumb one or a guy is being lazy, just don't answer. I've been guilty of razzing a lazy noob lately myself but I think we should leave it to the mods.
I think I kind of agree with this. I too am guilty of telling certain people to search, but I try to do it in a nice way.

Maybe it'd be a good idea if nobody replied, and maybe a mod posted a message as simple as, "Please read the sticky". This may cut down on some of the needless bickering.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Savin

Re: The Unspoken Rules: Spoken

Post by Savin »

umcamara wrote:
wytbishop wrote:I think only the moderators should be allowed to tell people off. If you think the question is a dumb one or a guy is being lazy, just don't answer. I've been guilty of razzing a lazy noob lately myself but I think we should leave it to the mods.
I think I kind of agree with this. I too am guilty of telling certain people to search, but I try to do it in a nice way.

Maybe it'd be a good idea if nobody replied, and maybe a mod posted a message as simple as, "Please read the sticky". This may cut down on some of the needless bickering.
Same, but I can't help but feel obligated to tell newer members that they are doing stuff wrong and correcting them, or directing to where they can learn the info needed.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If the forum is going to try to adopt a new system of government (for lack of a better term) then whatever rules are adopted need to be enforced. If a user tries to pad his post count the posts need to be deleted. If a post needs to be moved or deleted it needs to be done quickly. If we are going to leave it up to the mods to patrol and chastise the masses we need to universally agree to leave it to them. We have to agree that NOBODY replies to these types of posts but the mods.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Savin

Post by Savin »

wytbishop wrote:If the forum is going to try to adopt a new system of government (for lack of a better term) then whatever rules are adopted need to be enforced. If a user tries to pad his post count the posts need to be deleted. If a post needs to be moved or deleted it needs to be done quickly. If we are going to leave it up to the mods to patrol and chastise the masses we need to universally agree to leave it to them. We have to agree that NOBODY replies to these types of posts but the mods.
Yes, but how would we all agree to this? Granted, some might be in a 'charitible' mood and want to help a newer member out if they are having difficulties finding what they are looking for. They could say they have searched but couldn't find the info needed, but in reality were too lazy to even do that. I just think it would be hard to have everyone follow this. It would be nice, but I even like to help out when I can. Others could just like to harass the noobs and not want to follow this rule either.

Anyway, about the 'Introduction' forum. I guess this would be directed towards Barry, but how would we go about making this a reality? I can only imagine that it would take a lot of additional programming to the site, but what would be involved? Would it cost extra money to put an addition like this to the site? These questions really don't need to be answered but for the sake of knowing, it would be nice.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

If we do decide to make an intro forum, posts will probably not count towards postcount.
Savin

Post by Savin »

That would be better off anyway, not having the posts count. It might make it so the new members get more familiar with the environment around here (stopping them from asking redundant questions). At least then we would be able to distiguish which new members are worthwhile trusting people and not just scammers or ignorant people.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=64736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Savin

Post by Savin »

If this was intended for me to read and others....I can't. I'm not authorized.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Fixed it
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I think the addition of the new Introduction forum is a good idea. I like the welcome post you wrote. I think it should be even more emphatic. And I think if possible new users should not be able to access the main site until it can be verified somehow that they've read it.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Savin

Post by Savin »

wytbishop, I agree. It looks awsome so far. I even anjoyed reading it, IT made me feel like a new member all over, lol.

Well done Barry!

As for not knowing if the new members read it, Jesse seemed to have a good idea about the little quiz thing. That might be too much to ask for though...But say if they were to fail it, then they cannot enter the forums until they pass, or something to that affect.

Oh yeah, Sorry Barry for my impatientness earlier, I was just really hoping to see what you had in store BEFORE i had to go back to class. My apologies.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Well Savin... you rallied up the troops, and you got something done, good job!

I know personally, when I first joined the forums, I sat at the computer at my ex-girlfriend's place night after night for like two months just reading, before I was even a member. Somehow I just didn't feel right posting anything. I felt that if there was something I wanted to know, the information was there, and this was the perfect place to find it. My ex couldn't stand all the time I spent on the site. Then, once I felt that I had learned enough information, and had a solid foundation built, I was then worthy to start posting. Not only posting to ask questions, but posting to help others out as much as I could. (I'm starting to sound like some pathetic motivational speaker here).

As for new members taking a quiz, it's a nice idea, but I think there's a point where it would just start turning many new people off of the site. Since vets won't be on the forums forever, it takes new members to keep the cycle going. That's just my opinion anyhow, I don't consider my opinion the be-all-end-all.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Savin

Post by Savin »

I definitely understand where you're coming from with the reading thing. I first started reading stuff on this site like last july or so. I made an account in august, Blackmoocow (old character name from a game) still didn't feel like i was worthy enough to post. Finally in november I made an account using my last name (might as well so people will know me by name somewhat) and I started posting, helping where I could. I think I even took part in those +1 post count forums just so it didn't say 'junior member' anymore, lol.

And thank you umcamara. I mainly did this due to PushnFords, he really ticked me off. but I felt that with people like him, we could use better structure. I guess it paid off.
Last edited by Savin on April 28th, 2008, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

Savin wrote: And thank you umcamera. I mainly did this due to PushnFords, he really ticked me off. but I felt that with people like him, we could use better structure. I guess it paid off.
I got him upset for you. :lol:
PushnFords wrote:
kirk95gs wrote:
PushnFords wrote: My once....
Man take it easy! Stop spam posting!
Right back at you...if you think it is spam posting give me an example of a worthless post that I put in a thread where someone was asking for information. Take a look at the first page of this thread...not a speck of useful information on here and people simply wanting posts to make this the longest thread so that is what I did. It's not like I've been going through here and posting worthless stuff on good threads...I've chimed in when I can contribute and only made comments that weren't technically useful on threads that didn't matter.

I'm not sure why you guys require 30 posts to post stuff for sale when you obviously watch new members so close. Not that hard to edit true spammers. I'm simply trying to get access to the classifieds...it is beneficial to everyone. I made a few bucks, you guys get some parts that are obviously in high demand or hard to find, and I keep decent parts from being crushed. I have 100% positive feedback on eBay and have insisted on making all but local sales there for mutual buyer/seller protection. Not only that but I'm selling these parts pretty damn cheap. That front air dam that started at .98? Mine! Rear spoiler started at the same price! One guy wanted a starter and power steering pump...that pump is a PITA to pull. I got them both off and found the cheapest ones on eBay and then set up an auction for HALF of that price for him to buy. Do you really think it was worth my time and labor to pull those parts for $22.50? NO!! But I hate scrapping cars that have a following with people trying to fix them up... I'm not some 15 year old kid asking how to put a cold air induction on his car either. I've been restoring and wrenching on cars for years and I've offered some good advice on this board.

Derek

Return to “Off-Topic”