Diference between kl31 and kl36 ecu?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

Diference between kl31 and kl36 ecu?

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ok im confused...

i understand that the kl36 ecu came from AUTO cars right? and kl31 came with MANUAL cars..

Now.. didnt KLZES ONLY come in auto???

hmm

anyone?

so my vris is off with the kl36 ecu? I got a curved neck

NOT TURBO ANYMORE.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Diference between kl31 and kl36 ecu?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

hgallegos915 wrote:Ok im confused...

i understand that the kl36 ecu came from AUTO cars right? and kl31 came with MANUAL cars..

Now.. didnt KLZES ONLY come in auto???

so my vris is off with the kl36 ecu? I got a curved neck
That's what's been theorized, but people have found KL31's in auto's and KL36 in manuals, stock. For what people can tell, there is no difference between a 31 and a 36.

Curved-Neck ZE's came auto only.

KL31 and KL36 ECU's are setup for straight neck intake manifolds, so yes, they are offon a curved beck ZE
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Nd4SpdSe wrote: That's what's been theorized, but people have found KL31's in auto's and KL36 in manuals, stock. For what people can tell, there is no difference between a 31 and a 36.

Curved-Neck ZE's came auto only.

KL31 and KL36 ECU's are setup for straight neck intake manifolds, so yes, they are offon a curved beck ZE
but what I never understood was why there wasn't an exact ECU for the curve neck... does this mean the cars they came out of didn't run as well as they could???
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Cause they are OBDII and ran a MAF
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I can feel a pull which means thayt vris is not set up properly, my track times were affected by the ecu, aww oh well
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Cause they are OBDII and ran a MAF
So if the Millenia KL-ZE is OBDII, why is it so hard to swap one into a '94 + MX-3?

I don't remember having to take any special wiring considerations for my ze swap other than the knock sensor... i personally don't know if the engine harness would be different between OBDI and OBDII, though. also I THINK my KL01 cammed (factory curved neck) ZE was from a 96 Millenia (OBDII?).

I'm asking out of my own interest: why couldn't one get a Millenia OBDII ECU and (OBDI or II?) KL-ZE and stick it in a '94+ MX-3?
GS-R SE
Fixin's
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

mdavis wrote:
So if the Millenia KL-ZE is OBDII, why is it so hard to swap one into a '94 + MX-3?

I don't remember having to take any special wiring considerations for my ze swap other than the knock sensor... i personally don't know if the engine harness would be different between OBDI and OBDII, though. also I THINK my KL01 cammed (factory curved neck) ZE was from a 96 Millenia (OBDII?).

I'm asking out of my own interest: why couldn't one get a Millenia OBDII ECU and (OBDI or II?) KL-ZE and stick it in a '94+ MX-3?
That ECU has totally different pinouts then the mx6/mx3 ecu. The millenia car is alot different then our cars (think of all the electronics etc).
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

solo_ryder wrote:
mdavis wrote:

That ECU has totally different pinouts then the mx6/mx3 ecu. The millenia car is alot different then our cars (think of all the electronics etc).
gotcha. thanks.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

oh been running the ecu and i think it sucks compared to probinator.. vris being off sucks lol :(
-hec

Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Time to install MSD Window Switches?

Japan does not have OBD2. Here is an interesting wiring harness swap link.

http://www.powerlabs.org/jdmsubaru.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”