Why did you buy the MX-3?

Off-Topic Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Why did you buy the MX-3?

Post by fowljesse »

I'm interested in the miriad of reasons we all came to this car, simple, or complicated, like mine.

I moved from Hawai'i to Houston to save money for travelling Europe. The way I did this, in a short amount of time, was subjecting myself to medical research studies (made $9,000 in 3 months). I was a guinnea pig. I needed a car to get me 200 miles each way across the desert, cheaply, and reliably, with enough room that I could sleep in it, if needed, and I wanted a hatchback, if possible. I also wanted something that wouldn't bore me. I didn't know much about economical cars. I looked at Hondas, toyotas, etc.. I even looked at a CRX that looked like it was upgraded (I didn't look at anything "rice"). The CRX looked good, but dogged, and rode stiff. I almost settled on a Camry, when I happened upon an add on the 'net. It was about $1000 more than I wanted to spend, and I thought the MX-3 unly came with the SOHC I4 (I don't know why). It was really clean. My last cars were an RX-7, and a 323 beater (which impressed me with it's ability to take beatings), and I had a girlfriend who had a 626 that I frequently set the cruise control at 100, on the way to Vegas, or California from Arizona. I'd never consciously seen an MX-3 before. I looked on the 'net for info, and came to this site, and from it decided that I wanted it. The more I looked at it, the more I liked it, especially when I found 2 more cylinders! I talked the dealer into letting it go for about 1/2 of what they wanted (my brother couldn't believe it!). It was perfect, and I mean it. I've never looked back.

So, what's your story?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Flyer

Re: Why did you buy the MX-3?

Post by Flyer »

Guy blew the engine in my Integra, gave me the MX-3 as a replacement...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Was it the car that could take a beating or the GF. I'm confused,,,but strangely excited.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Savin

Post by Savin »

My brother got the car from a dealership as a rental until they (the dealership) and my brother fixed the tranny, since it was still under warrenty. He was doing his paper route and the trans went out. All that was left was reverse. He drove it home that way. A few days later they decide to tow it back to the dealership. They wrapped a tow strap around the front/core bumper thinking it was metal. half way there they here a load *SNAP*. THe tow strap went through the bumper. To cover for my brother, my mom bought the car. 3 years later: I get the idea to buy and fix my dad's old thunderbird for my mom. The mx-3 was on its last leg and then some. I start work on that in exchange for the mx-3. I've yet to finish the t-bird but I claimed the mx-3 for myself anyway, lol.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Well, I work at a Mazda dealership part time, and I was sorta browsing for cars, I didn't have much money to spend, $3000 CAD, so not much was in my price range. Once I really started looking, some lady brought in her MX-3 GS V6, and I loved how it looked. I asked my boss if it was for sale, but he said it was a customers, but he would sell it for about 5K. So I started checking the internet... I found one, 130K, black, a little beat up, and one, 230k, not so beat up. I ran the VIN codes at work and the 230K one had been a rental car in Ontario, so I picked the other one. He wanted 2900 for it, but I brought it home to my mechanic and he ran a compression test - ranged between 60 and 130. Fried valves. That and a few other things like stableizer links... So I called him up and said I wouldn't buy it for more than $2000. He said he wouldn't do it, and hung up. I got sad... then he called back a few hours later and said he'd take that price. I was pretty happy :D The following week my mechanic and I put in another used SOHC 1.6 and replaced the clutch for <1000 CAD. Runs good now, though.... The bottom line, I bought it because it was love at first sight, and they weren't everywhere like Civics.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
the_anj

Post by the_anj »

my uncle had one... wanted one ever since, bought it when I had the money
'94 GS-DE
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I was going to buy my first car and I wanted a little civic hatchback or del sol... of course me and my dad couldn't find one in my pricerange... So I was settling for a 93 4 door integra (yuck)... we go home to talk to my mom about it and then we headed back to the car place and just as we rolled up to the office they pulled out a 94 gs in blue creek mica... they had just finished detailing it! I yelled at my dad that I wanted that car (I didn't even know what it was - I had never heard of the mx-3) and of course it was higher than my pricerange ($5400) but I convinced him to help me out on it and I would pay him back!

so that's my story lol!
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

My old roomate had one back in 97, I loved the car, never heard of them before. I saw a 95 for sale at a lot w/ 28K miles on it for $8500. Bought it.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

"Was it the car that could take a beating or the GF. I'm confused,,,but strangely excited."
:oops:
Actually..
My 1/2 Japanese G/F in HI gave me the 323. It was her Aunt's, and she got a new car. I met her through a piercer friend in the fetish scene. This girl liked to slap soldiers in the face when she drank (5 nights a week, at least), and they would take it because she was hot, and they didn't want to look weak..
Short answer:
Yes.
I went off topic, so I'll get back..

I looked for a ZE mx-3 for over a year before my luck panned out. Lakersfan1 moved to about 2 hours north of me, and wanted to get rid of his car, which he spent countless hours working on, until pretty much EVERYTHING on it was brand new, even down to all the bushings, some of which were custom, since they don't make them for us. He wanted to sever himself from it quickly, like ripping off a band-aid, so once he trusted that I'd take care of it, he sold it dirt cheap. There was an unspken agreement that I wouldn't talk to him again, which is too bad, because I didn't get details about what he did, or the dyno sheet.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

I was 17 or 18 in Highschool. I was driving an 89 4cyl Plymouth Acclaim that just rooled 500*** kms, that I bought off my father for $500.00 in 2000. I was using it for work and school ( I worked part time on a farm ). So long story short the car smelled like S*** (no lie). I wanted something a little nicer ( for the ladies 8) ) . Saved up $3500 and told my uncle who happend to own a used car dealership, to by me a nice sporty little compact at the auction. About three months later I got a call to come out and check out a car. I happened to be a 93 GS Black with 265*** kms. I bought it on the spot.

Then in 2003 I was drving by my uncles dealership again and happened to spot a 95 gs black. I pulled in checked it over. It was a car that a lady had in Halifax. only had 95000kms mint shape other then one broken side mirror. Next day I traded my 93 and bought the 95.
Last edited by Kirk95gs on April 25th, 2008, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seboroth

Post by seboroth »

Impulse buy at night, it was a the dealers private car and it was something different. Plus when I saw the way the girl test drove it after me, I figured out right away how well she could drive a manual. I knew I couldn't let it go to waste by the hands of someone who only needed something to go to the mall with.
95' Mazda Mx-3
1986 bmw 325e-rust in peace
1996 Subaru Outback-Sold
2002 Bmw 325XIT
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

my neighbor had used it to commute with i had always bugged him to buy it since he also had a blazer that he used more often.
Him and his wife were in the middle of a divorce and he crashed his truck. since i was in school for auto body, i fixed his truck, i bought materials and parts spent around 500$.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

So you got the MX-3 in trade for fixing the truck?
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

I was going to high school in Brooklyn for 3 years but my last year of high school I transferred to a school alot closer to my house. So I was walking to this new school and kept spotting this red MX-3 but it was dented everywhere and looked terrible. But for some reason I still loved it and nobody I was hanging out with could understand why I did. The car was so messed up that it didnt have any badges on it or anything so I had no idea what kind of car this was. All I knew was that it was a Mazda because the steering wheel emblem. So I went on eBay motors and looked at every Mazda they had listed and found it. So I went looking for an MX-3 website to find out more about them but MX-3.com didnt exist back then. So I looked around and bought one that was mint and then later on MX-3.com was made so I learned alot about them from here back in '01. March 21st, 2008 was a bad day, it was the last day I had an MX-3 but I wanted something RWD and easier to get power out of. Maybe one day I'll buy another MX as a daily driver and BPT it. I've never had a BPT MX-3.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

fowljesse wrote:So you got the MX-3 in trade for fixing the truck?
Yep.
Had to replace the front bumper/ pull the Ds frame a bit and repaint the Ds fender on his truck.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current

Return to “Off-Topic”