Any one who has replaced clutch pls help

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
richyrich

Any one who has replaced clutch pls help

Post by richyrich »

Replacing burnt out clutch and am at the point of trying to remove the axle nut but when i try the driveaxle turns even though it is in gear??? Is this normal because of the burnt out clutch and if so then whats the best way to get the nut off as it probably is going to need a lot of force so how does one do it? Please help me if you have done this before.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Any one who has replaced clutch pls help

Post by umcamara »

Yeah...an impact gun will help. Also, have you got the emergency brake on. Just because the car's in gear, it doesn't mean it won't move. You could also have somebody apply the brakes while you're turning the wrench.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

front end is raised up, ebrake is on, car is in first and it spins freely as i try turn the nut as if it was in neutral. So am just worried if thats normal or not. the clutch is comepletly gone so is that why it spins? And having someone press on brakes will work? Thanks for your time
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Well the axle won't spin with the brakes on. That's what the brakes are for.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

lol yeah i realized how that sounded after i posted it...sorry just a little flustered as im getting worried i bit off more than i can chew here. Sorry but just to ask again, is it normal for it to spin freely while in gear because there is no clutch left or is it a sign of bigger problems?
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

richyrich wrote:lol yeah i realized how that sounded after i posted it...sorry just a little flustered as im getting worried i bit off more than i can chew here. Sorry but just to ask again, is it normal for it to spin freely while in gear because there is no clutch left or is it a sign of bigger problems?
I don't know much about transmissions, but the purpose of the clutch is to smoothly transition the transmission from gear to gear. You can still shift the transmission without the clutch in, for example when the car is shut off, and you simply put the shifter into gear without touching the clutch. You can also do the same while you're driving, but you need to do it at the proper engine speeds for each gear.

Therefore, no I don't think the burnt out clutch has anything to do with the axle spinning. As I said before, you can still rotate the axle when the car is in gear and the engine is off. Think about when you push start your car, the engine isn't running, but the car is moving in gear.

You're doing fine, just focus on getting those axle nuts off, and take it a step at a time. As long as you don't need your car to be driveable right away.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Yes the wheel will spin freely in gear - its because of the differential - if you look at the other wheel it will be spinning in the opposite direction.....

If you stop the other wheel from spinning - then the wheel you are working on wont spin.
davmac

Post by davmac »

Pull off the wheel and unstake the axle bolt or remove cotter pin - whatever holds the axle nut in place. Then put the wheel back on with the center cap out so you have access to the axle nut. Lower the car to the ground. Put your socket on the axle nut with a breaker bar and slip a sturdy pipe on the breaker bar to extend the breaker bar and give you leverage. You will loosen that axle nut. A heavy duty impact wrench driven by electricity or air will make the job easier, but 4' of pipe will also work.

Your clutch is what attaches the transmission to the engine. So if your clutch is shot you may not get the resistance of engine compression. Also emergency brakes only are for the rear brakes - no effect on front brakes. You need an assistant to holding the brake pedal down if you want to remove the axle nut while the front of the car is raised off the ground.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

I <3 air guns. lol

STeve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

davmac wrote:Pull off the wheel and unstake the axle bolt or remove cotter pin - whatever holds the axle nut in place. Then put the wheel back on with the center cap out so you have access to the axle nut. Lower the car to the ground. Put your socket on the axle nut with a breaker bar and slip a sturdy pipe on the breaker bar to extend the breaker bar and give you leverage. You will loosen that axle nut. A heavy duty impact wrench driven by electricity or air will make the job easier, but 4' of pipe will also work.

Your clutch is what attaches the transmission to the engine. So if your clutch is shot you may not get the resistance of engine compression. Also emergency brakes only are for the rear brakes - no effect on front brakes. You need an assistant to holding the brake pedal down if you want to remove the axle nut while the front of the car is raised off the ground.
The point of using the emergency brake is to have more resistance to the car moving when on the ground. As I said, he should have somebody apply the hydraulic brakes.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

the emergency brake only applies to the rear brakes and have no affect on the front brakes - so i dont see what good having the emergency brake on would do when trying to remove the front axle nuts - the only way to remove the axle nut is with an impact wrench - as was stated.
jeremypotter74

Post by jeremypotter74 »

zzzoomx3 wrote:the emergency brake only applies to the rear brakes and have no affect on the front brakes - so i dont see what good having the emergency brake on would do when trying to remove the front axle nuts - the only way to remove the axle nut is with an impact wrench - as was stated.

33mm socket, breaker br, and girlfriend pressing the brakes as hard as she can is How I did it.
92 MX-3 GS 1.8, looking for ZE.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

zzzoomx3 wrote:the emergency brake only applies to the rear brakes and have no affect on the front brakes - so i dont see what good having the emergency brake on would do when trying to remove the front axle nuts - the only way to remove the axle nut is with an impact wrench - as was stated.
I was talking about when the car is on the ground, and in gear, or park, the emergency brake locks up the rear wheels, which helps to resist movement of the car. Come on, it's not that difficult of a concept to understand. Please read all preceeding posts and understand what is being said before correcting me. Also, I'm the one who first stated to use an impact wrench, or to apply the hydraulic brakes, so please don't tell me what's what.

P.S. An impact wrench is also not the ONLY way to remove the nut by the way.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I agree... I have never used an impact wrench on my axle nuts... I use good old physics (leverage) to break my nuts...

Return to “Transmissions”