KLZE head gasket

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Vanished

KLZE head gasket

Post by Vanished »

Hey, I'm doing headgasket for my KLZE because it's leaking. Apprently. WOO

So. I was wondering, the torque specs on the 1995 K8 online shop manual, those aply to the KLZE as well?

Also, gasket kit should be ordered for the millenia 2.5L correct?

I put the intake mani gaskets on 28k ago, do i need new ones?

Thank you!
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
marcdh

Re: KLZE head gasket

Post by marcdh »

The torque specs seem to be the same. I got a new set of ajusa head bolts for doing mine, which are for all k series engines. These had a torque guide of how to tighten without distinguishing between engines, but was slightly different from the manual. Make sure you measure your bolts if you're reusing ;) max 135mm iirc. My head set came with intake gaskets, so you may as well put the new ones on, especially if the coating has rubbed off. Millenia gasket should be right, tbh I think any 2.5 kl hg will fit the same.

Make sure you check your head and block are still flat! And for cleaning off gasket, i used the aluminium slide from a floppy disk :lol: - people say to use steel razors, I didn't fancy risking scratches :shock:
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

OK sweet! Also a few more questions.

1) If the head isn't perfectly flat, my only option is to have it machined...should i just buy another motor?
2) Is there anything else that I should do while I've got the heads off? (I'll be doing retainers and valve seals, the DE ones)
3) Should I go OEM gaskets, or is there another brand that I can go with that is just as dependable?
4) How long did it take you?

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

slinkymx3

Post by slinkymx3 »

1.have the heads machined anyways u wont be able to tel by laying on a flat surface, no u dont need a new motor
2. yes u can always do wat some people who run nos, s/c, or a turbo do port ur heads...
3. ebay gaskets are just fine the are made with the same quality material but are just over stocked and sold at low price...the valve cover gasket will probably leak in about 2 years tho
4. i have never just done the head gaskets...im building a motor so 18 days???
93 mx-3, hybrid de/ze-turbo P&P'd ZE heads,9.2:1 CR,garrett t3 57trim .60/.63,HKS SSQV bov, turbo xs 38mmW/G,24in downpipe,sts,13lbfw,sleeper FMIC,65mm TB,Walbro 255lph FP,F&R strut bars, ngk plugs/wires
p/s,a/c,cruise,vris delete..all go from here
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Slinkys got it covered, but sure..

1) There are tolerances you're allowed before your block/heads are considered to far out for machining in the shop manual. I had my heads skimmed despite them looking flat, looking back I probably didn't need to. But I don't like the word probably in a head rebuild!

2)I ported/polished my exhaust ports, not to a level of perfection but alot smoother. I knife edged my intake splitters. Was it worth it? Well it cost nothing :) (apart from a few dremel sanding bits). Do your valve seals of course. Hopefully you will buy a head set with other seals such as the oil jets, cam cap etc. Maybe the coolant o rings, depending how hard they are.

3)I also have been using the cheaper gaskets, they seem spot on. Mazda wanted £120 for 2 HG, that's $240 :o Time will tell if that was a good call for me!

4)The pain about HGs was perfectly cleaning the block for me! It took me a day to get back to having the cam covers on, though those were tentative steps! Now I still have to do pulleys, timing etc.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Ok wicked! Thanks for the info. Anyone else have experiance with this? I think i might get the head gaskets from mazda, everything else cheaper, we'll see. It's supposed to snow 50cm this weekend, so It has to melt before I start on this. (It's been 20 C this entire week...why the snow? I DON'T KNOW)

Anyway, how much did it cost to machine your heads?

Also, anyone else have input on porting and polishing, and doing the intake splittle edge? thanks!

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”