Water damage

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Thassodar

Water damage

Post by Thassodar »

Huge rain came through tonight: the floors of the back seats are small lakes, the front floors/mats are soaked, but the rest of the seats and stuff are dry. Only thing is that the automatic seatbelts are malfunctioning. When I first turned on the car the light came on, and the passenger side was the only one that would move. After beeping at me for about two minutes, they switched off and the driver side moved into position while the passenger stayed open as if the door was open, occasionally making a ticking noise. It sounded like it was having a hard time moving. The seatbelt notifier beeped at me all the way home.

Just FYI: The car hasn't dried yet so that may solve the problem. Additionally isn't there a lifetime warranty on the automatic seatbelts do to a defect? I am more than certain it hasn't been claimed yet. I have a 1992 MX-3 and I doubt the previous owner knew about the seatbelt defect. Any ideas?

Also, any tips or tricks to get the water out of the back? I want to go get the car shampooed and whatnot in the morning, but I figure I have to get the water out first.
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
TMP39

Re: Water damage

Post by TMP39 »

pull the seats out and use a carpet cleaner or a vacuum you can suck water up with and just suck all teh water offyou can let them sit out in the sun for a few hours. i have no idea for the belts other than electricity and water dont mix
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Water damage

Post by umcamara »

Anytime something electrical gets wet, it's usually not a big deal unless the circuits are powered up. Usually, what you would have done if you figured electrical components may have gotten wet, is disconnect the battery until everything is dry.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”