Pls help! Something is loose.

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Epic

Pls help! Something is loose.

Post by Epic »

When I jerk the left front wheel, I get a sort of screecing sound. Not the normal "klonk klonk" but something else. There is not much movement but when I raise the wheel of the ground there is no sound or movement what so ever.

I think it started a few days ago, shaking when braking. But the car had stood still for a week so I didnt think much of it. But today I put on my summer wheels (again), and now when I did my test run it was shaking while driving. Got back home, cheked the air pressure and that the wheels where secure. But out on the road again shake shake shake.

I cant seem to find any loose parts around the suspension. Anyone experienced anything like this or have any idea?

Will be gratefull for any advice.

Btw, could a worn droplink for the front swaybar caus this? The reason I ask is thats the only part I have for that area .
MX-3 1.8V6 -92
shameem
Supporting Member

Re: Pls help! Something is loose.

Post by shameem »

warped rotor maybe?
Bad/loose balljoint, Bad CV axle, Bad wheel bearings could also cause this....
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Raise the car off the ground and shake the wheel. Does it have any play? And if it does, then in which direction?

Are your brakes binding? Does your rotor look warped? Does the wheel spin freely when in the air?
Epic

Post by Epic »

Will check if it spinning tomorrow, but there is no play at all when it is raised . If its the bearing I should have some play right? The steering tie rod is new. Was thinking it might be a worn or busted engine mount, but in that case it would be worse witjh high rpm right? I dont know what that feels like. How does a rotor get warped anyway? uneven pressure from the calliper?

Brake binding, is that a stuck pad?
MX-3 1.8V6 -92
Epic

Post by Epic »

Well it seems that the rotor is warped. The wheel dont roll to good when raised, and when the wheel is of, the rotor "sticks" in some places when I turn it. Will know for sure when I get my discs. Just hope the hub is not busted.

But could anyone tell me how the rotors suddenly gets warped? And can a warped rotor caus some shaking without braking?
MX-3 1.8V6 -92
PushnFords

Post by PushnFords »

Epic wrote:Well it seems that the rotor is warped. The wheel dont roll to good when raised, and when the wheel is of, the rotor "sticks" in some places when I turn it. Will know for sure when I get my discs. Just hope the hub is not busted.

But could anyone tell me how the rotors suddenly gets warped? And can a warped rotor caus some shaking without braking?
Might have happened when you changed wheels. If you get a piece of rust or something between the hub and rotor it'll act like a warped rotor. I'd pull the caliper off and check close for any dirt or rust on the mounting surfaces of the caliper and rotor, lube the slides, then reinstall and see if they still bind like that.

Derek
Epic

Post by Epic »

will try that in the morning, will save me about 200usd. yeah parts cost an arm and a leg here in norway :evil:
MX-3 1.8V6 -92
gr8

Post by gr8 »

well if you can feel it while moveing but not when the wheel is off the ground, then i think you should recheck it. I would say lift the car up one side at a time and lift it from the lower control arm. It will keep all the suspension parts under pressure on the side you lifted. Im not sure but i think thats how u check the lower ball joint.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”