What is the 'TOUCH' Button for?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
IrishNinja

What is the 'TOUCH' Button for?

Post by IrishNinja »

I am currently in my garage as I write this and I have the inner door panel off my door. I noticed that there was a wire coming from the back of the touch button to the frame of the fiber panel. What the hell is this thing for? I'm actually thinking about making it a button. Maybe to activate a door actuator or something like that. But I would really like to know it's real purpose. Can anyone help me?
Last edited by Custommx3 on April 8th, 2008, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: do NOT bypass the language filter
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: What the h3LL is the 'TOUCH' Button for?

Post by umcamara »

It's to ground yourself when you get out of the car so you don't get a shock when you touch the car, or blow yourself up when you're fueling up. The point is to touch it to discharge static electricity.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

haha im pretty sure u cant blow urself up, but ya to get rid of static charge..honestly who even uses it? lol
Timbit
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

zoomzoom wrote:haha im pretty sure u cant blow urself up, but ya to get rid of static charge..honestly who even uses it? lol
Uhhh... wanna bet?
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

didnt myth busters prove that u cant? same deal as the whole cell phones causin explosions?
Timbit
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

I don't think I saw that one. But I've seen quite a few gas stations (not in person) that have been levelled by static electricity igniting gasoline fumes.

Either way, I wouldn't want to find out.

To me, just because two guys fail to recreate a senario (albeit they do try pretty hard), doesn't make it impossible.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

The mythbusters episode was about cell phones and gas stations i think - however static discharge is the real killer -
http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/4410" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IrishNinja

Post by IrishNinja »

The funny thing is, before I got a reply to this, I told my girlfriend that it's probably for grounding yourself so that you don't get shocked when you close the door. She disagreed with me and thought I was crazy. Well HA, I showed her. Another point for me. The other point I got was on good friday and half of the shoppers drugmart store that we were in was taped off. I told her, I bet it's because the law states you can only have a certain amount of square feet accessable on a holiday. She's said that it can't be that. "It's rediculous" she said. Guess what? We asked the cashier and I was right. Ha. Well that's my story.
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

IrishNinja wrote:The funny thing is, before I got a reply to this, I told my girlfriend that it's probably for grounding yourself so that you don't get shocked when you close the door. She disagreed with me and thought I was crazy. Well HA, I showed her. Another point for me. The other point I got was on good friday and half of the shoppers drugmart store that we were in was taped off. I told her, I bet it's because the law states you can only have a certain amount of square feet accessable on a holiday. She's said that it can't be that. "It's rediculous" she said. Guess what? We asked the cashier and I was right. Ha. Well that's my story.
Yeah that puts your count at 2 and hers at 209348586993704858405. Good job!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: What is the 'TOUCH' Button for?

Post by fowljesse »

There was a good thread on this a while ago. It was funny. A guy got his feelings hurt.... You gotta look it up.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i cant believe someone actually answered the question honestly, considering the 1001 threads asking the exact same question
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Me, too! The answers in the past were hilarious!
We're getting soft.
If you look at the OLD threads, you can see how refined this site has become, and it started ALOT better than most.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

yes u really can blow yourself up at a gas station with a static discharge there are vids of it happening to a guy in a ferrari on youtube or something like that. always ues your touch button.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

by pressing the touch button in my mx-3 I feel closer to my mx-3 when I drive it... it's like a personal relationship... :love:
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Mooneggs wrote:by pressing the touch button in my mx-3 I feel closer to my mx-3 when I drive it... it's like a personal relationship... :love:
The elusive "G-spot" perhaps??
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”