Please help fast...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mowambi

Please help fast...

Post by mowambi »

Ok, im not going to lie, i searched and searched and couldnt find anything that makes me believe i know the exact or close to exact problem.

I have a 1992 mazda mx-3 GS with about 170k on it and i believe its original engine. The car was stumbling because of a slightly leaky MAF sensor but recently started running awsome. i drove it to Rhode island and parked it for a day, and when i woke up the following morning it started right up idled ok and even rev'd. As i pulled out of the driveway and went to drive the car bogged down signifigantly and the dash board was barely illuminated and my lights dimmed as well. Then the car barely would run as i gave it any gas, it would like want to stall out if i gave it even just a little bit. So i was thinking, ok maybe my battery is weak so i tried jumping the battery to give that a test. I hooked it up and gave it some gas, the lights stayed somewhat brighter but even dimmed a little bit. So i figured maybe something is horribly messed up and i need to turn it off and start it again. Needless to say it sounded like a good idea but it didnt start up again. Now it clicks 1 time, and the lights are all dim. I know my car burns a bit of oil, via a leaky rear valve cover gasket. Im told that fouled spark plugs could be messing it all up. My question is, would that really interfer with the dash though? i mean i can see how it not starting and what not. Could it be bad spark plug wires, maybe arching out, but then why so sudden? Car has 4/5 of a tank of 87 octane gas. new fuel filter, somewhat fresh oil. Any suggestions would be AWSOME as the car is currently 120 miles away from me in rhode island and im only going to have a few hours to work on it with limited tools and access.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Ryan
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Please help fast...

Post by umcamara »

Obviously it's related to the charging system. Did the charge light show up on the dash cluster?

I'm leaning towards the alternator being toast. That would give the exact symptoms that you describe. If you can get the car running, disconnect the battery, and see what happens. If it continues to run without any issues, then your alternator should be fine.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Well if the dash lights are dimming and the car is not even cranking right, sounds like a alternator/battery issue. Check the connections on the alternator. If they are ok, then you may just have a crapped out alternator or battery.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I agree. It sounds like something is wrong with the charging system. Whether that be a bad battery, poor connections, a broken alternator drive belt or a bad alternator, I'm not completely sure. If I had to guess though, I'd say the alternator is hooped.
Cody
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

alternator
mowambi

Post by mowambi »

damn, i was really hoping it wouldnt be the alternator, i guess ill bring a volt meter and what not. if it was the alternator though, why did it even start to begin with that morning? just randomly dieD? I just replaced the alternator belt but oil kinda drips onto it just a pinch and thats what ruined my other one. I wonder if that would have killed it. Well im bringing a volt meter and a test light to hopefully figure this all out. I appreciate your help if you can give me anymore ideas i greatly appreciate them.

Thanks in advance
Ryan
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

mowambi wrote:damn, i was really hoping it wouldnt be the alternator, i guess ill bring a volt meter and what not. if it was the alternator though, why did it even start to begin with that morning? just randomly dieD? I just replaced the alternator belt but oil kinda drips onto it just a pinch and thats what ruined my other one. I wonder if that would have killed it. Well im bringing a volt meter and a test light to hopefully figure this all out. I appreciate your help if you can give me anymore ideas i greatly appreciate them.

Thanks in advance
Ryan
As I said, just disconnect the battery with the car running to test the alternator.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
mowambi

Post by mowambi »

ok ill try that. im assuming i cant just go into a autozone to pick one of those suckers up either... car breaks once shame on it, car breaks a 2nd,3rd,4th time.... shame on me
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Voltage will only tell part of the story. You need appropriate amperage as well. If the battery still had some charge it would attempt to start the car, but with no charging system to upkeep the battery, she won't run very long.
Cody
mowambi

Post by mowambi »

i guess the thing i was trying to to say is that it wasnt stopping itself, it was idling, but it was really rough... I checked my intake and what not im going to rip it all apart and ill post my progress tomarrow evening.
mowambi

Post by mowambi »

Well you guys were right, I figured since i just went thru this, i guess ill share my alldata access :P...

How to change alternator:
That bolt was hard for me to find since it was all greasey so i figured this diagram would atleast help the less experianced.

Thanks again
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

tehbrookzorz wrote:Voltage will only tell part of the story. You need appropriate amperage as well. If the battery still had some charge it would attempt to start the car, but with no charging system to upkeep the battery, she won't run very long.
the battery is there just to start the car - it is useless once the car is started - the alternator does all the work to keep the car running - like a generator. the only time a battery will become useful to keep a car running is when the alternator goes out or stops running.

case in point:

driving my car home one day, the alternator belt broke - but i still drove the car home, for about 5 miles.

at the shop i used to work at my boss explained to me about the battery/alternator relationship - to prove his point, he started a car and then disconnected the battery - the car kept running and didnt stall or stutter.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

[quote="zzzoomx3driving my car home one day, the alternator belt broke - but i still drove the car home, for about 5 miles.[/quote]

Should be able to get way more than 5 miles out of a non-functioning alternator if the battery is healthy and depending on what you have running in the car, should be able to get a good 100miles
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:[quote="zzzoomx3driving my car home one day, the alternator belt broke - but i still drove the car home, for about 5 miles.
Should be able to get way more than 5 miles out of a non-functioning alternator if the battery is healthy and depending on what you have running in the car, should be able to get a good 100miles[/quote]

i drove 55km on just battery... avoid using brakes and keep radio off and you can go far...
near end of trip, just breaking would kill car (break lights).... just shift into gear and let off clutch would fire right back up...
charged car over night and drove to friends to replace belt next day..
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

JoshVK wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote:[quote="zzzoomx3driving my car home one day, the alternator belt broke - but i still drove the car home, for about 5 miles.
Should be able to get way more than 5 miles out of a non-functioning alternator if the battery is healthy and depending on what you have running in the car, should be able to get a good 100miles
i drove 55km on just battery... avoid using brakes and keep radio off and you can go far...
near end of trip, just breaking would kill car (break lights).... just shift into gear and let off clutch would fire right back up...
charged car over night and drove to friends to replace belt next day..[/quote]

5 miles was all i had to go to get home :) - but youre right i could have gotten farther if need be.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”