K8 not running to good.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Epic

K8 not running to good.

Post by Epic »

Hi.

Its with great sadness I finaly have a reason to use this forum :cry:

My distributor on på -92 k8 mx-3 clokced out before christmas, and after a long time the nw one finaly got here. Easy to install, and everything seemed ok. Then when I was driving I noticed when my foot was just touching the pedal it was like I was loosing power in short bursts but when I gave it some more gass it leveld out. But last night it got worse I was loosing power in a strange way, for instance when I hit 2 gear it took me about 5 sek before it gave me any speed at all. I when I was going up hill to my house (not very steep I had to balance the cloutch in order to keep the engine running in 1 gear!

So, what could it be? The car stood for about a month in the winter cold (water in the fule?). The plugs and plug wires are about 4-5 months old. The airfilter is about 3 months old KN box filter. And also I have a busted bolt on my walve cover ( false air?)

Wow that was alot, well I hope somone can help me save my red hunk of junk :D
Thank you.
MX-3 1.8V6 -92
se7en

Re: K8 not running to good.

Post by se7en »

okay, easy fix.... first off, did you set the timing with a quality timing light? or did you just install it by eye? :)

is has to be bang on, and don't for get the gnd-ten jumper.

also, it is not that rare for a 'new' disty for these cars to be rebuikt. and poorly at that.

the best bet for a new disty is the junkyard usually. I think that oem disty's ran better than any rebuilt ones.

if all else fails, do the HEI mod. it is easy to do and runs way better than anything mx-3 ever came stock with.

cheers

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
Epic

Post by Epic »

I think the power loss problem was the sparkplugs. Just had them all out and they were black with s---, to be honest I dont understand how they managed to spark at all. Probably a result of alot of trying to start the engine with no luck. Since there are no way to get new once now I just grinded them, and it seemed to work. Still feel like there is something wrong from time to time when I hit the throttel, have to wait for new plugs.

I was told that there was little to adjust on the distributor beacause of the electronic egnition. I tried with a timing light tho, but am I correct in thinkin that I need to aim at the timing belt or is any belt ok? Am prety green at things that are not just bolt-on :)

Gnd-ten jumper?

I bought this http://www.fordprobestore.co.uk/store/p ... cts_id=785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was suposed to be better than stock.
MX-3 1.8V6 -92
se7en

Post by se7en »

heh, sry, I assumed you knew more than you did. You came to the right place.

first off, the ten gnd jumper is in the black electrical box near the brake master cylinder
in the cover there is a scimatic(sp?) to help tell you which contacts to jump(paper clip or somethin similar)

next, you have to aim the timing light at the crankshaft pulley. there is a notch on it that you line up with the corresponding number on the tab on the front engine cover.

usually the notch is covered with dirt, so you will have to clean it and find the notch and use a paint marker to mark it and make it more visable.

to adjust, loosen both disty bolts and turn it clockwise or counterclockwise to get the mark on the pulley to line up with the right number. Then tighten the disty bolts, and turn off car, and remove the ten-gnd jumper.

that's it. you are done.

cheers dude, and I hope this was a good enough explaination. If not, just ask more questions. :)

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
Epic

Post by Epic »

Thank you, im gonna do it tomorow. Been away at work ( driving my mx) that was a pain in the a--. I asume that the plugs are wasted again cous she is spitting like hell :)
MX-3 1.8V6 -92
Epic

Post by Epic »

BTW: what is the right number the notch has to match? :?
MX-3 1.8V6 -92
Epic

Post by Epic »

Well that was an experiance.

First of all, I only saw the notch on the 2 middel wires, wich is the right one? ( I used the one in front)

I asumed that the notch on the plate I was looking for was the big one.

Ok then, if I did these things right it was way off when I started but the engine was running smooth. When I started turning the disty into place the rpm dropped quite a bit.

After I was done I stopped the engine, I removed the ten/gnd jumper and ran the timing gun again and saw that the timing was aff again. What does that jumper do?
Im going for a long ride now to see if it had any effect at all.

Also I spoke with the local mazda garage when I was picking up some parts today, and he said that there was no point adjusting the timing on the Kl series. Why would he say that? Is he demeted or what?

Thanks for the assistance, it helped me out alot (I hope :D )
MX-3 1.8V6 -92
Epic

Post by Epic »

Im an idiot, just wanted to get that out of the way before someone else said it:)

Well I was happy as hell, I thought my car was running ok again.

But today I noticed that the last time I did the timing I forgot to remove the ten\gnd jumper. And guess what, the engine started to jump and loose power below 2500 rpm. But still only when I was driving, when Im standing still in neutaral the rpm is even.

First of all have I damaged aything by driving with the jumper?

And does anyone have an Idea what it could be?
MX-3 1.8V6 -92
Epic

Post by Epic »

Hi again.

Im sorry if ppl feel like im nagging, but Im desperate as hell now.
I hope my language skills doesnt missguide you.

The car is still acting up, symthoms have changed a bit tho. Now it almost stalls sometimes when I engage the clutch, and when im driving normal and floor the gas pedal it looses power for anything from 1 to 5 sek before it kicks in and everything is as it should. But again not all the time, just enough to drive me nuts and not daring to go int roundabouts in fear of loosing power :(

I cleaned the air filter, timing is perfect, cleaned all the connectors, new plugs, new wires, and the disty is just a few months old.
I have done injector cleaning and anti vapour in the fule.
l
What could it be? Lambda? fule pump? fule filter, could the altenator have anything to do with this?

Im ordering a HEI and a coil from MSD just to rule out the disty.

BTW like I asked abow here, can I have damaged anyhting by driving with the TEN/GND jumper?
MX-3 1.8V6 -92
mowambi

Post by mowambi »

I had the same problem and all i did was replace my intake cause i had a cracked and duct taped hose (i sported this thing for like 5 weeks when i bought it) i just went to pepboys and bought a bunch of fittings and adapters and i rtv'd the s--- out of them to make sure they where air tight (about a month of driving and having a MAF leak and the car running like yours). Now i just fixed my alternator and the thing revs beautifully at like 600rpms... Spray some wd40 or starter fluid or something next to your intake and see if it gets sucked in thru the hoses anywhere.

I know the fix seems off topic btw, but im just saying the way your describing your problem, it was IDENTICAL to mine... my mechanic thought my timing was off and i fixed my intake and its working now...

hope that helps.
Ryan
Epic

Post by Epic »

Thanks! Will get some wd40 tomorow. So the altenator was a factor as well?
MX-3 1.8V6 -92

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”