troubles installing timing belt on 1.6 dohc

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
weaponR_91si

troubles installing timing belt on 1.6 dohc

Post by weaponR_91si »

i cant seem to get my mx-3 back in time, i had it running pretty good one time then i noticed my distributor was turned all the way clockwise.

i know intake is the E and E, and the exhaust is I and I but there is an E and I on the cam gears and also the straight mark on the edge of the gear, which do i use assuming the straight mark. also on the back cover there is a small E and I stamped on it with a raised "X" where exactly do i line it up? center of the bars or the top or bottom? seems like a lot of room to mess between two cam gears. anyone else ever have problem timing the 1.6 dual cam? any insight, i have the manual, but it is pretty general, not like 2 fine lines that line up. one small mark and a stamp mark about the width of a pencil. i am new to the mx3's so be gentle.

let me know.
thanks
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Re: troubles installing timing belt on 1.6 dohc

Post by Bumpysbro »

i have a b6 dohc as well, ive always had problems with this as well. if you look on the online manual go to 95 service manual, engine b6, should be page B1-84 shows the timing belt install. it shows in the pictures and what i went off of, the exhaust cam should have the I pointing diagonal to the I on black plate. and the Intake cam should have the E pointing diagonal to the E on the plate. and make sure you have your crank sprocket mark on the oil pump mark as well. getting the cam gears by your self is a lil tough to do just use two wrenches or two sockets and hold them. im pretty sure you go off of the letter and not the lil indention in which your talking about. good luck with it, this one gives me problems all the time.
Jon
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
inferno94

Post by inferno94 »

^^ thats basicly how its done on a bp so I'd think it would work that way on a b6.
weaponR_91si

Post by weaponR_91si »

thanks, the closest i have been able to get it was still a tooth off. they should have put the pin holes in the cams where you drop retainer pins in, slip the belt on and pull the pins back out. was that too much to ask? :wink: thanks for the information, i am working on it this weekend, so i will keep you posted.
inferno94

Post by inferno94 »

It's easiest I find to align the cams get the belt on them then adjust the crank last and get the belt on it. I spent 30 min doing a timing belt install using this procedure, they are rarely easy.
weaponR_91si

Post by weaponR_91si »

thanks for the info
Volones

Post by Volones »

plastic zip-ties help keep the belt in place on the cams too. It made lining up the crank much easier for me.
Last edited by Volones on April 10th, 2008, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.
weaponR_91si

Post by weaponR_91si »

thanks, i tried timing it soo much last time i tried that i got pissed and quit working on it, then the next weekend (saturday april 5) i timed it once and got it right. i ended up having to replace the starter where it wouldnt turn the car over fast enough. runs great now.

thanks for all the info.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

glad to hear you got it running. keep the mx3's on the road.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”