Neon Wiring Help

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Gfresh

Neon Wiring Help

Post by Gfresh »

Hey you guys,

I've been running some 15" LEDs to light up the driver's and passenger's parts of the floor, had em installed, and hard-wired (well sort of) to my fuse box. And they have been working perfectly for the past few months, except they have 2 seperate switches, etc.

I recently bought 2 x 12" and 2 x 6" Neons that I would like to install now. Replacing the 15" LEDs with the 12" Neons, and mounting the 2 x 6" neons on the back/underside of the driver's and passenger's seats to have an ambient glow for those riding in the back seat as well.

Now the mounting of the lights is not an issue, I can take care of that. And they have the little cigarette lighter plugs that my LED's had, except the switches on these Neons are inside the plug part, and therefore, when i cut of the plugs, I lose my switch. This is also not really an issue because I want all four lights wired to a single switch, which i have already purchased, and installed into one of the unused switch positions on the center console (I believe they are for heated seats).

My problem as it stands is just the wiring. I think I know how to do it, but before I get carried away, I figured I might as well consult you guys just to make sure.

Okay:

The Switch is a black "Rocker Switch" which has 3 prongs on the bottom of it, one at the top, one at the bottom, and one in the middle. (This is what I really don't know how to wire, or if i should be using a toggle switch as opposed to a rocker switch)

I understand that I'm going to need some 12 gauge wire to run from my source to the switch, and then wire my 4 neons to the other side of the switch, but I don't know how exactly to wire the rocker switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...Wiring Diagrams welcome.

Thanks

Travis
Green Machine --1994 MX-3 GS 5-spd-- HEI Ignition Modded
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Neon Wiring Help

Post by umcamara »

If the switch has a light that lights up when it's turned on, then it makes sense that it has three prongs.

One prong will be connected to ground, this ground just completes the circuit for the light in the switch. (If the switch doesn't have a light, do not connect ground to it!)

You will run 12 volts to another prong, and then a wire from the remaining prong to the device your powering (postive wire from the neon light). The switch should have tiny little labels on it that tell you which wire to connect where.

Also, you mentioned that you're cutting off the cigarette lighter plugs. You can't just always assume that you can do that. Many of those plugs have transformers in them that reduce or increase the car's voltage to the proper level required by the device. In those cases, you open up the plug, remove all the hardware except for the transformer circuit board, and solder two wires directly to the transformer, then run them out of the hole in the plug.

Also, you may want to consider using an SPDT 12 volt relay, depending on the current that the lights draw.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”