LED taillight retrofit *MORE PICS ADDED!!!!!*

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Urbanconcept

LED taillight retrofit *MORE PICS ADDED!!!!!*

Post by Urbanconcept »

So I got a little bored and decided to find another way to make my taillights LED's. This time I was aiming for the stock stealthy look. To the unsuspecting eye my taillights would appear to be stock. However when breaking or at night time, they would show their true performance! I decided to also incorporate an LED reverse light. In addition I opted to go with non LED turn signals just for simplicity's sake. I may opt to red out the turn signals, but I'll wait until the tails are on the car to make that decision.

I've decided to keep my methods this time a secret and instead of posting progress pics, here are some of the finished taillight. I plan on installing them within a few days, depending on the weather and I will take some night shots once I have completed the install.

Here's a pic of the right side taillight with the lense re-installed

Another pic in the sun to show the LED's

COMPARISON PIC (stock on top, retro'd underneath)

These next three shots were taken while the sun was close to setting. Keep in mind these are the running lights and not the brake lights on.

Right tail

Left tail

Both tails
Last edited by Urbanconcept on April 3rd, 2008, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: LED taillight retrofit

Post by fowljesse »

Cool.
I'd like to see a side by side comparison.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

Yeah I would also. Looks great! get some night pic's and post them up.
X3RCKT

Post by X3RCKT »

Dang man VERY clean. Subscribing to this thread. Cant wait to see them at night.

Just a quick question that should not impose on your methods.

When you do something like this, are you using a clear LED or a red behind the red lense? (Clear behind the Reverse lense I am sure). Just curious as I want to use clear tail lights but would love to go with an LED instead of bulbs.
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

X3RCKT wrote:When you do something like this, are you using a clear LED or a red behind the red lense? (Clear behind the Reverse lense I am sure). Just curious as I want to use clear tail lights but would love to go with an LED instead of bulbs.
Thanks for the compliments! I'm using clear LED's behind the stock red lense. If you are not planning on using any red lense, then yes the use of RED LED's would be a must. I used a clear truck LED unit in my custom taillights that are currently on my car. They light up red and look amazing. Just be careful using red LED's. You'll still need to have a red reflector in your taillights, or you could mold one into the bumper like a mazda6.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions about the install or where to buy LED's etc etc, feel free to ask!
Friendship is like pissing your pants: Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its true warmth.
X3RCKT

Post by X3RCKT »

I will be using a MX6 Wing on the back of my 3 that has the LED strip molded in it. The lense got smashed when my buddy rolled his car. If I have THAT lense red would that be enough like you are saying or need more?

(Put it in the ditch at over 100 and walked away with only a few scratches. I called it the X6borghini)

Here is the car it came off of and you can see the spoiler/wing.

Savin

Post by Savin »

Holy F***! Glad your friend was ok! I can't believe he only walked away with a few scratches. I guess thats mazda engineering for you
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
seboroth

Post by seboroth »

Wow, that has to be the most gruesome smashed car picture i've seen. The oil all over makes it look like it was bleeding too. What a wreak, glad your friend walked away.
95' Mazda Mx-3
1986 bmw 325e-rust in peace
1996 Subaru Outback-Sold
2002 Bmw 325XIT
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

seboroth wrote:Wow, that has to be the most gruesome smashed car picture i've seen. The oil all over makes it look like it was bleeding too. What a wreak, glad your friend walked away.
Looks like the King's car when he smashes it in the movie "Cars".
X3RCKT

Post by X3RCKT »

That was few years ago the day before a Probe/KL club meeting. There was like 8-10 guys from Probetalk there that night and the next night. Shows us partying it up the next night at a bonfire and Jason (the guy that wrecked the X6) was restricted to a Batman Hotwheels that we were jumping over the fire. Haha
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

X3RCKT wrote:I will be using a MX6 Wing on the back of my 3 that has the LED strip molded in it. The lense got smashed when my buddy rolled his car. If I have THAT lense red would that be enough like you are saying or need more?
It depends on what we are talking about here...

Are you:

a) Using the third break light from the mx6 as a third break light on the mx3?
b) Planning on molding that long LED strip from the mx6 into a stock mx3 housing?
c) Something I haven't mentioned in a or b?
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

*update*

I just put some clear silicone around the lense to ensure it is resealed. I couldn't get the stock lense to fit all the way back down again (there is a slight separation that isn't noticeable). So I sealed it with clear silicone which will cure in about 24 hours. So it will prob be fri when I install these lights if the weather permits!!
X3RCKT

Post by X3RCKT »

Urbanconcept wrote:
X3RCKT wrote:I will be using a MX6 Wing on the back of my 3 that has the LED strip molded in it. The lense got smashed when my buddy rolled his car. If I have THAT lense red would that be enough like you are saying or need more?
It depends on what we are talking about here...

Are you:

a) Using the third break light from the mx6 as a third break light on the mx3?
b) Planning on molding that long LED strip from the mx6 into a stock mx3 housing?
c) Something I haven't mentioned in a or b?
I am actually mounting the whole spoiler on my car. I was going to try putting in a clear lense over the LEDs in it but what you were saying about needing red, I am wondering if I should leave it red now and if that would be enough for the before mentioned need to have red reflective.
Urbanconcept

Post by Urbanconcept »

Well yes for a break light it would need to be red. The reflective part is for the taillights themselves. If you are only mounting a spoiler with an LED third break light, the only requirement really is that it lights up red. If it lights up clear, people might think that you are reversing.
X3RCKT

Post by X3RCKT »

Never thought of that.

Thank you.

Another question, sorry not trying to jack your thread but you seem into the tail lights thing... Hehe

The lense is cracked, I have looked a few places for a clear replacement but really no luck.

Anything you would suggest for a do it yourself job? I was thinking of that kind of cloudy clear plastic covers with the pyramid type bumps that cover like phloresent (sorry spelling on that) lights. Was wondering if could like heat it with a paint stripper/hair dryer and mold it to fit? Good/bad/dumb idea?

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”