Passenger Side CV Stuck.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ElectricEnergy

Passenger Side CV Stuck.

Post by ElectricEnergy »

First off, I'm not 100% sure if this is the right section for this question. The Transmission forum might be more logical, but I don't think very many people visit it.

Anyhow, so I pull out of my driveway the other day and BANG my passenger side CV joint snaps. I knew it was going to go, I had already bought the parts to fix it.

So I've got it all apart, but I can't seem to get it to disconnect from the half shaft, what the hell? According to the shop manual you can tap it out but no amount of hammering seems to be working. Is there anything holding it in that I have to loosen up, or am I just being a panzy? I suppose I could find a bigger hammer :P

Has anyone else run into this kind of problem before? How did you get around it?

David
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Smith18

Re: Passenger Side CV Stuck.

Post by Smith18 »

Snaps as in the boot came off of the other side that is on the jack shaft?

Yes there is a C clip that is holding it on there it can be a b---- some times (wait till you take the driver side out of the transmission haha thats hell!) Just take a mallet and hammer on it and then turn it and keep doing this till it comes off, it helps if someone else is holding pressure on the shaft but you said it came all apart :P .
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

Take the couple bolts holding the intermediate shaft in there and pull the whole thing out of the tranny. Then have a friend hold the intermediate shaft and hit the CV with a rubber mallet rotating it a little each time to hit a different side. Its only three more bolts and Im sure it wont hurt to change out your tranny fluid while you at it.

Steve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Haha, It actually broke off at the joint at the hub. I never thought of turning the axel while trying to pop it out. If I cant get it out that way, I'll take the half shaft out to do it like you said sk8erdude802. This all seems like a waste since it all has to come out again in a couple weeks when I do my engine swap. :p

Thanks,
David
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

Its like opening a jar by hitting it with the back of a knife.

Steve-O

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Me no likey big mechaneeks! No open Jar Jar!
Cody
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

take some heavy guage wire, wrap it around the inner cv join, around the shaft thats actually in the tranny. then wrap it around there alot and knot is as much as possible. get some slack and have the wire out from under the car and out of the wheel well. tie as many knots in the wire as you can and get your self 2 hammers. put one end of the hammer with the hook in the knot of the wire and hit the hammer with the other hammer and its kinda like a slide hammer but with wire. i managed to get an axel out of a grand prix like that thursday night. dont know if it would work on a mx3.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

All good options but your gonna be doing it all over again so don't pull the jack shaft out of the transmission because you'll have to replace the tranny fluid and thats at least $60 for nothing cause you'll be doing it all over again once the ZE goes in.

Just take and hammer it and turn it a quarter turn and then hammer it again and so on.

If you need some help im off tonight and tomorrow, just call 261-6042 :)
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

$60 for tranny fluid??? where are you shopping??? Castrol syn is $15 a bottle and the trannies only take like 3 or less of it.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

ah i usually just buy a 4-5 Lite jug cause i had a leak :P but $15 a lite you need atleast 3 thats close to $50... haha
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

I ended up having to replace a CV twice for some reason and drained it in to a empty and cleaned 5 qt oil thing and just put it back in. It worked just fine just make sure its clean and you dont get crap in it.

Steve-O

MyFeedBackThread
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Its really stuck in there.

I ended up removing the half shaft. Even clamped onto my bench I couldn't get the damn thing off. The bearing in the half shaft doesnt feel very good either... Its got a bit of play, is that normal?

I'm thinking I'm just going to let the car sit in the garage for another week and try to get next week off work and just do the whole swap all at once so I dont have to redo any work.
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

about the bearing in the half shaft, mine is the same way and ive had problems with that side CV i wounder if thats the problem.
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Hmm, Well I'll call up Mazda a little later today and see how much its going to cost to replace along with some other stuff I need. I'm thinking it might be a lot, but we'll see.

Regards,
David
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

I had that kinda prob I tugged and tugged for 45 min and couldn't get it my mehcanic burry Carlo came over and pulled it out with his bare hands in like 15 seconds. It's all in the techinque I guess.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”