Few More KLZE Swap Q's (Thanks in Advance)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Few More KLZE Swap Q's (Thanks in Advance)

Post by JoshVK »

Ok, so I've found a motor (straight neck KLZE) waiting for compression numbers as its from a private seller..
I'm going to be swaping into my 96.
Anyways,

1.What should compression be on a good KLZE engine? (165-195 like the K8?)

2. If I'm going to be using a Curved neck Intake Mani (still need to get) will a stock K8 ECU run ok? (someone has said one VRIS point is correct other is close)

3. Will my Stock VAF be ok or is there a better option (if I'm using my stock K8 ECU, I've read this but cant find now)

4. If i want to change Timing belt, what one do i buy? (what do I tell guy at counter at NAPA)

5. Has anyone tried using "3M window weld" to fill their mounts? (heard this works good too, it comes in a tube like Calking)

6. Does the KLZE straight neck Throttle Body fit on all Manifolds? What are the differences in throttle bodies, just size?

7. (Ok this may be a stupid question but I'm trying to sort out all my questions in one thread. haha) What does VRIS mean/stand for?

8. If I order spark wires what car do I order them for? (if i remember correctly I've read regular k8 ones are different, shorter?)

9. If i have a 93 ECU and harness available is it worth it to switch and get a Probinator chip? Will my cruise and everything still work? (I have a 96=OBDII) (what are the real benefits?)

10. Is there any way to get Launch Control on a MX Computer? (probinator chip? is there any other options?)

-Thanks so much to anyone who's taken time to read this. Im very thankful
-Josh
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
irocthaDOHC

Re: Few More KLZE Swap Q's (Thanks in Advance)

Post by irocthaDOHC »

1) compression should be close to 200.
2) stock VAF will work with k-8 ECU
8) i just ordered wires for an mx-6, seems to be the right length
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

1 - I do belive it is around 210-220 for a ze(someone correct me if I am wrong). Mine ran 190-210

2 - Many people have used and are using the K8 ecu with the ecu with the curved neck mani. Search the to forum and you will find many diffrent opinions on what is right. The k8 ecu will make the motor run a little rich and give you bad fule millage. You are correct about the VRIS points. one will be on the other will be off. kl36/31 ecu are for the straight neck ze. If you use it for the curved neck mani both vris points will be off. IMO the best way to go would be a probinator chip for your k8 ecu.

3- Your stock je50 will work fine on the motor. klze's used the je50 vaf. it will work with the k8/kl31/kl36 ecu. again search the forum for others opinions on vaf/maf/ecu combos.

4- any kl mazda motor will work. mx6 2.5l, probe 2.5l, millenia 2.5l

5- People have used many diffrent things. I do belive it has been used befor and people had some issues with durablity. Again seach the forum. I used hockey pucks :lol:

6- all kl t/bs are 60mm the k8 is 55mm. They do vary between intakes though. the IAC is diffrent on some t/bs and I think the bolt pattern is diffrent ( someone else might be able to clear that up )

7 - I answered this in the other tread
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64221

8 - Again you can use any 2.5l kl motor. Millenia 2.5, MX6, Probe GT

9 - There is info in the forum about swaping a ze in OBDII just search it out. you might have to weed through the crap but its in there.

10 - I dont know if Ryan can do that for you or not. The best thing would be to contact him. probegtze@hotmail.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

for my ZE swap - i had a 96+ Curved Neck ZE and put it in my 93 MX3 - heres what i did and why:

you will need to switch out the coolant inlet ( the one at the front of the engine - near the belts) - unless you really want to tap and drill another hole for it - i swtiched mine out and redid the timing belt - cause i had too - and the car runs like a bat out of hell now.

the deal with the timing - when i first installed my ZE it ran like crap - i had to use the K8 Distibutor because the firing order for the ZE disti was completely different than the K8. once i redid the timing belt - like i said - ran awesome.

i filled my mounts with PL polyurethane from home depot - 2 bucks a tube - worked awesome.

the front motor mount - again by the belts - had to be replaced because it was way different than the K8 mount and made my engine sit crooked and lean to the right. when i intalled the coolant inlet, i did the mount as well.

i would strongly suggest getting a new clutch while you have the engine out (btw take the engine and tranny out together as a single piece) while im sure the MX3 clutch can handle the extra torque - its not as fun. i got the 6 puck F1 stage 3 racing clutch - works great.

ordering most parts for the ZE should be the same as the K8 since they are essentially the same motor - just the ZE is bored out more and other obvious differences, like the IM, etc. the timing belt should be the same, the other belts are the same.

there was a coolant outlet under the distributor that my K8 didnt have - it was a small hose and i didnt know where to put it so i plugged it up to the coolant reservoir.

the brake booster vacuum line on my ZE was on the right hand side of the IM - so i had to run a longer hose to the left side - remember the japs drive right-drive cars.

i didnt find a good spot for my vacuum line to the cruise control so i left my undone - its not like i use it anyway.

you will definitely need the curve neck because of the clearance of the brake/clutch booster.

the only things i took from the K8 were the distributor, the motor mount, spark plug wires and MAF - everything else is ZE and like i said the car runs beautifully - i havent even changed the chip in my ECU yet - and im still kicking people's butt - like a 240 turbo the other day. :D

since your MX3 is a 96 - you may not have the same problems - just throwing in my experience.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

5. I used windscreen adhesive, it has a shore A durometer of 70+-, not as hard as aftermarket built mounts or the mcmaster carr stuff like solo ryder is selling on here which is 80 or 90a. However it's alot harder than the air you currently have ;)
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

thanks Guys,

Hey Kirk95GS, how did you use hockey pucks?
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

JoshVK wrote:thanks Guys,

Hey Kirk95GS, how did you use hockey pucks?
haha Well its a secret :welder:

Not really that hard. My rear mount was pooped. So I pulled the old mount off the motor when I had it out of the car. Cut out the mount rubber. Then cleaned up the inside with a wire wheel for my dremil. Shaved down two hockey pucks with a sharp knife. It was something around 1/8" or so. I just did a little at a time and checked it with the mount. Made them just a little larger, like a 1/16" then the hole in the mount. Then pressed them in with a vice. Next I drilled a hole for the bolt to go through. reinstalled everything. I just did the rear mount. My front one was in great shape.

I can tell you that I notice a lot more vibration from the motor then I did with the K8. but like I said my rear mount was pooped. I wanted to get awr front and rear mounts but I had my money tied up in something else at the time. Seach the forum there is another guy that used the hockey pucks for mounts. Thats where I got the idea.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

The 96 is OBD2 and unless someone has one and their not telling anyone there is no chip for the ECU. Probinator dosen't have one. zzzoomx3 says the OBD2 ECU works fine but I'm still wondering about the vris points and fuel management. I plan to pull the K8 out of my 96 this weekend and order a ZE so if I get any info I'll let you know. Most say to change the OBD2 harness for a OBD1 then you can use an older ECU with a Probinator chip. Cheers
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

ok - i think you're confusing yourself man - i have an OBD1 ECU in a 93 MX3 and it works with a 96 ZE - so there should be NO reason why an OBD2 ECU wouldnt work with an OBD2 ZE. in fact, your vris and fuel should be better than mine - because i'm running a little rich on the fuel. so whoever is telling you to switch to an OBD1 harness for a 96 ZE is smoking something or your misunderstanding them. because that makes absolutely no sense. if you have a particular K8 ECU then it CAN be chipped - i am lucky to have one such ECU. but since my ZE is running so well - im not messing with it just yet. i'd rather get my RPMs down by switching out the K8 tranny to an MX6 tranny first. then i'll see how it goes. either way - you can use an OBD1 or OBD2 ECU with the ZE - my car is living proof of that - I have an OBD1 K8 ECU hooked up to an OBD2 ZE and its awesome. and i'm still using the original K8 VAF with the ZE throttle body.
1sicMXZE

Post by 1sicMXZE »

I need some MAJOR tech help fast??? issue with the ZE manifold and it IS the CURVE neck from a millenia 95 i presume what things NEED!! MUST be changed to put in the ZE motor from the K8 dont need the procedure just running into issues with the FRONT MOUNT (new motor mounts from AWR racing SOLID 90 durimeter urthane) the bolt on the front wont match up properly and the Curve neck intake in a 92 mx3 so the k8 manifold and throtle body were put onto the ZE what will this do i know it will obviously take power from the car but honestly HOW MUCH??? just est. dont need a science answer haha just need to make sure i dont mess my engine up.
zzzoomx3

Post by zzzoomx3 »

when you say front mount - are you referring to the mount at the front of the engine ( where the belts are) or the left side of the engine ( where the radiator is) - if you are referring to the belt side - i had to use the K8 mount -
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

OK a KLZE in a 96 works great. Don't swap harnesses. Just ask Nitefire how he likes his. You can try a KL02 Vaf it's suppose to work better than a JE50. You can fill your front and back mount with Devcon Durathane 94. It's a two part urathane rubber $50 bucks. Hook up the EGR from your 1.8 as you'll be using your stock ECU and this will stop you from getting a code. Awchoo. I replaced my valve and intake gaskets, order the millenia valve cover gasket and don't forget to use automotive silicone on the valve cover gaskets where indicated. If you don't have a owners manual buy one. Torques are important. I'm replacing all hoses and belts, mush easier now than later. The bolts underneath on the shifter linkage are a biotch. Spray them ahead of time. I used an impact chisel to get mine out. Good Luck.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”