Help! with HEI install

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
neumann

Help! with HEI install

Post by neumann »

I reported my starting/ cutting out issues in this post:
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63926" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I proceeded on the HEI install - just the HEI, not the external coil. Things went okay until I went to connect:
" the bottom-most wire on the 3-wire distributor plug (solid red in color) to the "C" terminal on the HEI module "
as per the instructions on the clubprotege link:
http://www.clubprotege.com/wil/howto/hei/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It appears that on my 3 wire connector the color of the middle and bottom wires are reversed. The top wire is blue but the middle one is red and the bottom one is blue and yellow. Also the connector housing is cracked and looks loose and once I get this done I will probably have to glue it down with some RTV sealant.

I have tried to connect the C terminal on the HEI to the bottom wire (which on mine is the Yellow/blue). Car turns over but does not start. I have used self tapping IDC terminals and have no experience with these, and I will check all the connections and grounds but really was looking for any confirmation that the position on the 3 pin connector should be more determinative than the wire color. I don't want to hack into more wires than necessary.

Also any opinions on the self tapping terminals? I have exactly what the instructions indicated (for 14 - 18AWG) and am using 14 gauge wire for ground and 16 guage for everything else. However these things really look as though they are barely big enough to accept 14 gauge and might struggle to make contact with 18 gauge. Getting out my soldering iron when I am still unsure if I am doing this right concerns me.

I really like this car, and it has served me well. If I can get it running acceptably for the next three weeks then I can work on it at leisure over the summer, but at the moment my summer car is garaged behind a 5 foot pile of snow.
My Summer car is a Porsche.
My Winter car is a 1994 Mazda MX-3 GS. 1.8L V6, K&N intake, Pacesetter Short Shift, Corksports SS Clutch line, Suspension Techniques lowered, Toyo Garit HTs for Winter Grip.
shameem
Supporting Member

Re: Help! with HEI install

Post by shameem »

Go with the wire colors - not wire positions .
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jutzi420

Re: Help! with HEI install

Post by Jutzi420 »

As far as self tapping terminals go... I'll never use 'em again. I had an intermittant stall when I first did the HEI Mod that I traced back to one of those terninals being loose. It'd kill the engine 90% of the time when I hit a bump.

I might use 'em until you're sure the wires are right and the car starts. For long term reliability you're not gonna get any better than solder and heat shrink.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”