Early warning signs?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Flea

Early warning signs?

Post by Flea »

I am currently working on my MX-3 with the V6 engine and I am getting concerned that I might have do some serious engine work. Here are the things that I have noticed:

-changed all of the plugs and 3 were caked on oily around the electrode, 3 were normal
-after starting the engine, a bit of blue smoke comes the exhaust but then clears up after a minute or so
-after the engine idles for a few minutes, steam looks like it is coming out near the rear of the engine

Is this like early warning signs that the engine needs a rebuild? Do you think the gaskets might be shot?

its 92 V6 motor with 210,000 KMs

Thanks
solo_ryder

Re: Early warning signs?

Post by solo_ryder »

Thats normal for a motor with that many KM's

The symptoms you are describing (the blue smoke at start up) are usually a sign of worn valve stem seals. Its not such a big deal, but your motor will use some oil and the plugs will needed to be changed eventually.

The white smoke might be just indicative of moisture exiting hte exhaust or could be caused by a headgasket on its way out. Either way, from what I have seen, any k8 motor that has over 200,000km is usually slowly dying but still easily drivable.

As for a rebuild, where do you live exactly? There is no use paying for a rebuild when you can simply swap the motor with a low mile KLZE or KLDE that has more power and would probably cost less to.
irocthaDOHC

Post by irocthaDOHC »

Oil in your coolant? Or vise versa? = head gasket.
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

If only 3 of your plugs are oily, its more than likely that you have a worn out valve cover gasket. Super easy to replace.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
se7en

Post by se7en »

ya, never rebuild a k8. just put a KLDE in. 300-500$ and easily available at any autowrecker.

plus it has 30-40 more HP.

if your engine needs much work, just do the engine swap. It is pretty easy on these cars.

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
sigma

Post by sigma »

I have exactly the same problem. When i turn on my car it smokes(blue) and then water drops comes out of the tailpipe. 236K on my car.

My dad says it is the valve,stem or head gasket but i am not sure.

how do you find your motor size?
se7en

Post by se7en »

heh. that's an easy one.

if you have a GS(v6) it is a 1.8L

if your car is 92-93 and a RS(4 cyl) you have a 1.6L B6 SOHC
94-up(4 cyl) is a b6DE DOHC 1.6L

cheers

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
sigma

Post by sigma »

thanks bud

I have a 92 V6 so i guess its 1.8 :)

how are the valve or gasket?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Valvecover gasket is an issue if you have oil IN your plug hole. If you have buildup on the plug (inside the motor) then its most likely piston rings or valve stem seals.

If its valvestem seals its not a big deal, just drive till it dies and swap the motor :)
Flea

Post by Flea »

I live in Kitchener... dont really have the time and place to do a swap myself.. but I wish I did. I think I am going to finish up the exterior and sell this toy. I need a daily driver! If I could find a place near me that could swap in a $500 motor for $500, then maybe I would be interested.

Thanks everyone for the informative responses.
irocthaDOHC

Post by irocthaDOHC »

pretty sure you could get a DE for under $500.....

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”