My KLZE swap begins!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nightfire

My KLZE swap begins!

Post by nightfire »

Hey guys! :D

It's been a while. Over this crappy winter I haven't really done much to my MX-3.. just the odd maintenance. My stereo got stolen in December.. so I've started a carputer project.

But anyway, aside from that, I just bought a 2.5L KLZE with an LSD equipped transmission! I'll be mounting it up on an engine stand in a few days to start a minor overhaul. It's got ~50k miles on it (apparently) and looks to be in excellent condition.

I'm replacing the timing belts, accessory belts, water/oil pumps, wiring and vacuum lines. I'm contemplating having the valve covers blue-powdercoated, and replacing the valve cover seals.

Any suggestions of other things I should look into?

I'll probably be doing the actual swap in about a month so I've got lots of time to clean it up.
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
Jepha

Re: My KLZE swap begins!

Post by Jepha »

Sounds awesome man, looking forward to seeing the final product. Post up some pics :D.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

That's great! I would replace the valve retainers, put in phenolic spacers (and match port), headers... well, it depends on how much you want to spend. I would do those three at least. I'd suggest also upgrading the clutch.
We'd like to see a worklog!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
infiniGTR

Post by infiniGTR »

Read this thread:

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701245892" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2003 Subaru WRX
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

where'd you get the motor?
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

fowljesse wrote:That's great! I would replace the valve retainers, put in phenolic spacers (and match port), headers... well, it depends on how much you want to spend. I would do those three at least. I'd suggest also upgrading the clutch.
We'd like to see a worklog!
Hmm... well, I'm definitely going with headers. I've been searching around and it looks like the only problem using probe headers is the cat needs to be moved back a few inches. I was thinking of ordering the SSA's:

http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$349 seems a little steep.. but I'm assuming those are ceramic coated. I'll give them a call. I also found a bunch on ebay for like $150 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Performa ... enameZWDVW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any suggestions?

Also, I'm totally new to engine internals.. :) Would upgraded valve retainers push up my redline or just increase reliability? What are phenolic spacers?

Here's what the engine is going into:

I'll be keeping my worklog updated for sure. :)
JoshVK wrote:where'd you get the motor?
I got it from Sunrise JDM motors in Montreal. It looks very clean, but not suspiciously so. I'll know for sure when I pull the valve covers I guess.
- Gord
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

yeah the retainers themselves only increase the durability not the rev limit. also, if you plan on revving past 8 i would recommend shimming the oil pump for some added oil pressure and upgrading your springs and valves and having bronze guides installed to minimize valve wear and resistance. you can go to importperfomanceparts.net to get a handle on engine upgrading also try a few searches on valvetrain reliability in these and everone will tell you they are weak in the top end. just do your homework and you will come out ok there is a lot of knowledge in this forum and in the search option
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

I picked up headers off eBay a few weeks ago. Here's the thread with pics:
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=15
'93 MX3
A work in Progress
CURENT UPGRADES: Curved Neck KLZE/Option Import Headers/2.5" Exhaust/Valeo OEM Clutch/Yonaka Motorsports Gaskets & Silicone Tubing/Option Racing CAI/MBX Probe Addiction Wires/Fidanza Flywheel

My Aloha 8.2: http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t258/1981aloha27/Aloha 8.2
Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

I have had the ss autochrome headers for 4 or 5 years. Had them on my k8 and put them on my DE. No complaints, other then the price now LOL. My next set I will get off ebay.
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

nsklzemx3 wrote:I picked up headers off eBay a few weeks ago. Here's the thread with pics:
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=15
Sweet... that looks like the same one I just ordered. Can't wait. :)
- Gord

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”