pisst n broke, and my pistons broke..HELP

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
organic_audio

pisst n broke, and my pistons broke..HELP

Post by organic_audio »

In the middle of a head gasket job, found this... HELP!

Will I be able to get away with running these? I checked the valves and all that stuff. none are bent, everything else looks good. The head gasket is cooked around the rings, the car was leaking oil really bad. The guy i bought it off limped it home from Lloydminster, which is a few hours from here. When i bought it, it would just barely idle. myplan so far is to just clean it all up, slap a new head gasket on, and get rid of the car. Its too bad, I really like this thing. Tell me what you guys think. Is this going to cause me a big problem? from what i can see, the rings are still intact, and there is no interference with the valves/pistons.

cylinders 2 and 3
(im aware its not at top dead center)

and could someone tell me what the hell this thing is that i tore up after the manifold...
i know, im dumb aha... for backpressure or what?

oh yeah.. i forgot to introduce myself, im brandon. from saskatoon, saskatchewan.
heres some pics of the whip.
1994 MX-3 RS, B6-DE

any help, or oppinions would be greatly appreciated
se7en

Re: pisst n broke, and my pistons broke..HELP

Post by se7en »

nope, that's bad.
the tops of the piston has broken off(from detonation, or preignition) it has to be replaced.

the rings won't seal anymore because of that.
(it will burn blue smoke)

at least you have the hard part out of the way, just remove the rod, and take it o a machine shop, and get them to press a new piston back on.

buy new rings, and reinstall.

good luck.

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

Just do the bp swap on it. That is a good looking rs. You even have the rare optional RS spoiler and the boby kit don't look bad at all. Just save your money to do the swap. It will be worth it. Believe me.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
se7en

Post by se7en »

Ya, just so ya know, if someone buys this expecting a good running engine, and finds out it looks like that, then you would be liable....

I would fix it rather than just putting it back together.

Around here, when I see that(I am an automotive machinist BTW) it means the engine is toast.

Sorry about your luck,

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Sweet! Another Saskatoon MX-3er!

Sorry about the luck with the car, on the bright side it looks really nice from the outside.

I saw the add for that car on Kijiji and offered him $500 for it. He didn't reply. I told him straight up that if he limped it back from loyd with a blown headgasket the entire engine would need replacing/rebuilding. Looks like I was right.

There are a bunch of us in town that are really knowledgeable about mx-3s, and we are all on this forum. Me, David (electricenergy), Ty (Vanished), Smith, 94_4banger, and GFresh (I think thats his screen name).

David
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Give me your spoiler >_>
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
WRENCHRASH

Post by WRENCHRASH »

Nice car shame about the engine, get a recon short motor or replace the pistons and rings
either way it needs some TLC. :crying:
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

that sucks but ya just get new pistons get the cylinders check, re ring it and check specs and slap it back together. oh and the thing connected to your exhaust manifold is your warm up cat converter. looks like a honeycomb if you look inside for emissions
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
organic_audio

Post by organic_audio »

Well i did some thinking. My plan so far is to get a new head gasket.. ($100..who cares) and put it all back together. I need this car as a daily driver, i dont care if this engine is going to blow smoke, as long as it runs for now. as you can see, its pretty much toast anyways, and i dont feel like putting any money into this little jam tart.

Someone please enlighten me on this 1.8 swap im hearing about. Saskatoon guys; How realistic of a goal is this around here, anything in the area? will it bolt up to my motor mounts, tranny and all that ish? I'm the kind of guy that doesnt sit around and talk about what im going to do, i like to just do it.. so any solid, educated input would be appreciated. I know im going to get told to use the search, but i have, and its gonna turn me into a tool throwing alcoholic pretty soon here. Thanks dudes.
organic_audio

Post by organic_audio »

Oh yeah... that thing. We dont have emissions testing around here, so if i dont need that thing in there for backpressure, can i hollow it? it looks pretty packed with crud, and i dont see the advantage of keeping it in there.

I also need the head bolt torque sequence and specs, anyone got em?
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

You don't need, nor do you want backpressure for any reason. Backpressure is a by-product of a restrictive exhaust system. What you want is high exhaust velocities, not backpressure. Get that out of your head.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya dont hollow it out. it wont make that huge of a difference by doing it. especially with the b6 engine. just save your time and money for the bp swap after you get it running and who knows how long it will run. make sure everything is clean before you put it back together.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

I would say that your cheapest solution is actually a motor swap if you can do the work yourself. You could drive it with a new head gasket but I doubt it would last. You can get a motor from jdmsource.ca in Calgary shipped to Saskatoon in less than 24 hours, but you will need some additional parts.

Read through these swap guides:

http://www.atlantamx3.com/mocaforum/viewforum.php?f=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”