Need help identifying my ECU

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
infiniGTR

Need help identifying my ECU

Post by infiniGTR »

When my KLZE arrived it had a partial harness and ECU attached to it. Only problem is the ECU code was rubbed off of the cover, so I have no clue what ECU I have and if I can even use it :(

Here are a few quick shots of the ECU I have. Hopefully someone can ID it from the pictures. The plug receptacles are gray and there are 4 of them. Only 3 of the 4 are pinned though. Pics:

2003 Subaru WRX
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Re: Need help identifying my ECU

Post by Kirk95gs »

thats looks like a OBD II ecu, Odd that it does not have the pins.. I would just discard the partial harness/ecu and get your k8 ecu chipped or go with a ze ecu.
infiniGTR

Post by infiniGTR »

Kirk95gs wrote:thats looks like a OBD II ecu, Odd that it does not have the pins.. I would just discard the partial harness/ecu and get your k8 ecu chipped or go with a ze ecu.
I think the extra plug is for auto trans. I was going to chip my K8 ECU, but I have the 16xx that can't be chipped :(
I think I will just get a KL31 ECU that is on eBay right now.
2003 Subaru WRX
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

yeah I wanted to get a chiped ecu also but didnt have the proper one.. I ended up doing the same. Did you get the motor in yet?
infiniGTR

Post by infiniGTR »

Nope. I'm going to have to get the ZE rebuilt, unfortunately. (http://www.imazda.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
2003 Subaru WRX
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

OUCH! id be phoning back the company you got the engine from, thats a very high millage engine. If you are already thinking of rebuilding then go get a KLDE and find some KLZE heads and rebuild that, way cheaper then starting with a block that you paid 800-1000 for already.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

yeah that motor has seen better days. what did it look like under the oil pan? did you pull that off? check the cylinder walls??
infiniGTR

Post by infiniGTR »

Kirk95gs wrote:yeah that motor has seen better days. what did it look like under the oil pan? did you pull that off? check the cylinder walls??
I have only gone as far as peeking under the valve covers.

It sucks that the engine is in such condition, but a total rebuild is something I was considering before I got the engine anyhow. I had planned on doing it to my GTR engine also, but that project was scrapped. You don't know anything about the history of the cars these imported engines come from, so I will have a better peace of mind starting from scratch like this. Costs more, yes, but who said reliable engine swaps are cheap?
2003 Subaru WRX
nsklzemx3

Post by nsklzemx3 »

Looks like it was seriously overheated to the point of boiling and drying the oil trapped in the head. But after all I know what you mean about starting fresh. Make sure you have the heads checked for warpage,
Good luck!
'93 MX3
A work in Progress
CURENT UPGRADES: Curved Neck KLZE/Option Import Headers/2.5" Exhaust/Valeo OEM Clutch/Yonaka Motorsports Gaskets & Silicone Tubing/Option Racing CAI/MBX Probe Addiction Wires/Fidanza Flywheel

My Aloha 8.2: http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t258/1981aloha27/Aloha 8.2
Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
maryus

Post by maryus »

obd1 or not , but it does not look like my k8 ecu ;)
'92 Black Mazda Mx-3 - kl-ze
kiwimx3

Post by kiwimx3 »

I would be leaning towards a Kl31 or KL36 ECU mainly due to that 426 on the side of the case,
more KL31 I think, unfortunatly there is no solid way of testing the ecu.

Asd to the oil slugde issue, that motor had a very hard life, a good motor will be clean
and the heads will have a gold glase colour, the most important thing in checking a
import / junk yard motor is the coolant system, there should be no brown gunge or
visiable signs of pitting or corosion.
infiniGTR

Post by infiniGTR »

kiwimx3 wrote:the most important thing in checking a
import / junk yard motor is the coolant system, there should be no brown gunge or
visiable signs of pitting or corosion.
And if there is corrosion?
2003 Subaru WRX
infiniGTR

Post by infiniGTR »

Pertaining to my engine condition...I found a good thread on probetalk that I wish I had seen earlier: http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701245892" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2003 Subaru WRX

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”