Hoodzy's How To: Cold Air Intake

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

One thing bothered me about all the CAIs I've seen: the stepdown in diameter from the MAF to the TB is pretty harsh with the silicone piece, and alot of people still have the accordian thing, both causing turbulence. I wanted to smooth it out, and looked everywhere for a peice to fit there with a gradual transition. This is what I came up with:
It's a plastic cup from a thrift store, and has been there for over 2 years, with no problems. Yes, it's ghetto-fab, but proven to work.
Here's what I did:
Bought a microwave safe cup with the mouth being the same ID as the OD of the MAF (The longer the cup, the smoother the transition).
Took the peice out of the accordian peice that the small hose plugs into, and drilled a hole in the cup for it to fit snugly into and pushed it through from the inside.
Cut the small end of the cup to match the TB outer diameter. Put the small end in boiling water for a few minutes to soften it. While it was soft, shoved it onto the TB for an airtight fit. When cool, hose clamped it.
Hose clamped the small hose onto the peice sticking out.
Hose clamped my MAF on.
Obviously, you're not going to gain that much, but for a few minutes, and 25 cents (or free), it's worthwhile! Plus you can find one that matches your color scheme.
If you're afraid that it won't hold up, you can get a stainless steel cup. I was going to, but this has worked fine, even driving thousands of miles in 100+ degrees in the desert, and through sub-zero snowboarding adventures.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

9Red3 wrote:I've just bought a 93 MX-3 (SE I believe...well, actually, gets delivered tomorrow), and I was wanting to put a cold air intake on it. But from what i've gathered from this thread is that it won't really give much HP increase? Is that correct?
For me, the main reasons for adding CAI are the K&N filter which (almost) never has to be replaced and replacing the accordian intake duct with something that I know has no leaks. Even when they look perfect those stock ducts have little cracks in them.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

fowljesse, what is that you have between your two oil breather lines? and where did you get it?
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I just redid my CAI yesterday. I moved the coolant overflow tank beneath my HEI wires so I would have room in the fender area for the pipes/filter:

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Mazdags94, It is an air/ oil seperator for pnuematic lines. It keeps the oil out of my TB. I got it from a tool supplier for about $7 including the screw in ends so that I could hose clamp it.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mx3mayhem

Post by mx3mayhem »

so the 2.5" to 3" Silicone Adaptor from street imports WONT fit then?
melb30x

Post by melb30x »

hey, i almost followed directions but found that the piping holds more firmly if you put the VAF instead of in the middle, right at the end just before the filter - does it make any difference as to where the VAF is??

also ive noticed a knocking sound in my car shortly after installing the CAI...anyone experience similar thing??
smallblockman69

Re: Hoodzy's How To: Cold Air Intake

Post by smallblockman69 »

that is a nice looking intake system. how much hp will it add
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

These add from less than 1HP on a stock engine, to a few, on a modified KLZE with modified exhaust, by lowering restriction, but mostly help you keep the HP you have when the engine bay heats up.
nsklzemx3

Re:

Post by nsklzemx3 »

.. remember.. a engine is really only a fancy air pump.. you can only take in as much as you can put out and vice versa.

Tunes67
Exactly....and it raises the question can you actually increase airflow on either the intake or exhaust side with a VAF inline? I mean, no matter what piping and filter type you put on the intake side, you're still cramming it through a 3.5 to 2.5 inch reduction in the case of the VAF, not to mention the 50% (at least) obstruction caused by the valve body inside the VAF. I have headers and a CAI in transit from eBay, but I'm seriously beginning to doubt they will make much improvement.
'93 MX3
A work in Progress
CURENT UPGRADES: Curved Neck KLZE/Option Import Headers/2.5" Exhaust/Valeo OEM Clutch/Yonaka Motorsports Gaskets & Silicone Tubing/Option Racing CAI/MBX Probe Addiction Wires/Fidanza Flywheel

My Aloha 8.2: http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t258/1981aloha27/Aloha 8.2
Matilta 20
Cygnus 20
Code 40
JET30X

Re:

Post by JET30X »

bigtime wrote:I got a question guys, have any of you guys cut out this sheet metal as pictured, behind where the fog light would be to help the ventilation ?

just like this:
http://corksport.com/content/00/01/06/6 ... ojsn9.html

over here in Australia we have fog lights so just wondering if you guys think it's worth taking it out and enlarging that hole & using the hole in my bumper for a CAI for the klze on the way..

Is It worth doing ? do the gains justify losing the fog lights ?
I don't use them much.
It would help a bit wouldn't it ?
opinions please ?
dont use them much!? i drive around with mine on 24/7 lol :love:

i was thinking of keeping the existing box on mine and just replacing the filter witha K&N model
MX3-Life

Post by MX3-Life »

Well i'v got alot of answers from this FAQ but here i'd like to add a little weird CAI to the bunch :)

My Custom Creation i made for 2 reasons...
1) Custom
2) For the small air release hose on the Fuel Pressure Regulator or W/E *I love mother Earth?*

I dont use it anymore cause its dumb and big but still :) funny eh... Btw its called the Stock Market CAI
Also good if you want 2 filters :)
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

This is the setup i have on my car its ram air!

This is connected on the front of my bumper!

1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

not tryin to be the hater ... but did you noticed how close to the ground your intake is ?
The VAF is not supposed to be facing down , it should remain horizontal ... and i can allready see 2 holes on your intake tube after the PRM filter !! that is dangerous for the engine :?
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
chertel

Post by chertel »

Will the 94 integra gsr intake fit? It looks close to the 93?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”